Text Version of Podcasts

That’s strange. It may be a bug, since HTML isn’t aware of new lines. It ends the formatting at the first end-tag it encounters.

Anyway, if there is no way to get rid of this, you can place a 《b》《/b》(in single angle brackets) at each line.
I like the bold style to put on evidence the BestOf part.

Discourse interprets the whole(?) BBCode and Markdown. That maybe leads to strange results.

Maybe you want to have a look at:
Markdown reference at Wikipedia
BBCode reference at Wikipedia

ok , I got the whole bestof thing sorted out
thanks again to @LowLevel for giving me some pointers and ideas.

(FYI, the issue was that Discourse inserts a new html paragraph at every empty line)

2 Likes

Yes, this would be helpful, we’re up to 4 transcript topics now, and it would be much better to have them organized into a separate category. @RonGilbert, we would like to make a request for a new Category - perhaps something like “Thimbleweed Park Podcast Transcripts”, and maybe as a sub-Category of the Development/Design category. Once the new category exists, we should be able to move the individual Topics (aka threads) over ourselves.

3 Likes

181 posts were split to a new topic: Animated Podcasts

Ha! It will also take time to transcribe!
I’m almost at 11/66. So with 6 people transcribing, we’d be almost finished… (except those horribly long Friday questions)

1 Like

I would love to help, but my English is too horrible (and I’m afraid of the grammar expert @PiecesOfKate :wink: ). The only way I could help would be programming/supporting @besmaller.

1 Like

Your English always seems quite good to me :slightly_smiling_face:

I could always proofread them all afterwards, if that helps? Even if just for a fresh eye.

I’d like to help with the actual transcribing but not sure I’d have time.

1 Like

I would, but I can’t help here: I consider myself a “final destination” user, in this case.
Whoever has English as primary language, or whoever is able to fully understand even the tiniest word, could help you.

Yes, please! I’m not a native English speaker, so I’m sure there are and will be errors left. Now, mind that a lot of them (the grammatical ones) are due to the speakers. I try to fix the most flagrant ones, but sometimes I would have to replace a whole sentence with false starts, dead-ends and the occasional sound edit which results in grammar hell, by a simplified sentence. Which may or may not hold up too well for the animated series’ closed captions. Talking about those: the master transcript combines both texts in a single file for my convenience. So if you review the transcripts I have posted here, that’s only like 95% of it. Mainly "you know"s "kind of"s and "gonna say"s though.

Good point, I’ll bear that in mind. I can track my changes so you can see what I’ve done before accepting them.

Do you want me to review the ones you’ve posted in the individual podcast threads, or the master ones you mentioned?

Maybe add [sic] to indicate those.

1 Like

Well I considered that, but in most cases it doesn’t really make it any more readable. In my opinion, the use of [sic] only works if it is clear what other word should have been used. If not, you would almost have to write: [sic. Actually he meant to say…]
Either way, it the use of [sic] feels like being an English grammar teacher, each time pointing out the errors.
I would rather reserve the use of [sic] for special cases or funny lapsus (lapsi?) like the Mansion mansion.

2 Likes

I see, I guess using the [sic] for this podcasts would be akin to have a high pitched Ransome bleep. :laughing:

1 Like

I realize now I really should have started a new Topic with the podcast animation work. This thread serves the overall discussion of the text version of the podcasts, as well as the podcast animation stuff. I know Discourse allows you to move replies to a different topic/thread, but only Moderators can do that. I was thinking of asking a Moderator to help split this thread up that way (though it may be too much work, being probably almost 200 replies to move). I wondered what others think, if everyone is pretty much OK with this thread being largely highjacked from his original purpose, and now serving a dual purpose.

Why not just open up a new topic? You can leave here a short note that the discussion about the animations goes on in a different thread/topic.

Yes, that’s an option either way, I just wanted to ping people on whether they agree it makes sense or if it’s just my over-sensitivity to organization…

No, sounds like a good plan to me. :slight_smile:

I agree. It’s usually used when actual, overt mistakes are made, like typos - rather than ambiguity in what someone is saying.

Yeah. I spent years curbing that habit :expressionless:

I think it makes sense too.

And also by splitting it up, it won’t be the most replied to topic any longer. The next one is probably some random-off-topic. So perhaps just create a topic with links to your videos (and perhaps the text only transcripts) and point everyone else here for the discussion on either format of the “text” version of the podcast.