Are TWP players young and where are the older players?

I always think that somehow sounds like the name of an african dictator.

1 Like

I often hear it as HADOUKEN!

UBUNTU!

1 Like

ā€œUbuntu is an ancient african word, meaning ā€˜I canā€™t configure Debian.ā€™ā€

Though thatā€™s the sweet thing about Linux. Donā€™t like (the sound of) one flavour, well, there are a dozen others that might suit you better.

1 Like

Great and now I cannot unhear that myself from now on!

1 Like

You shouldnā€™t need to configure it if you donā€™t want to. Not that you have to, with Debian. That hopefully humorously and not maliciously intended quote is from around '04/'05ish when Ubuntu first came out. That being said, I do use Xubuntu on my laptop rather than Debian Xfce partially because itā€™s useful when debugging to have more variety and partially because ā€œconfiguringā€ Debian to work with UEFI and particular WLAN drivers etc. would be a giant waste of time.

C64 > MS-DOS 5.0 > Win 3.0 > Win 3.1 > Win 4.1 > Win95 > Win XP > MacOs Lion > Mavericks > El Capitan > High Sierra

BTW, Iā€™ve used many other Win OS after Win 95 from time to timeā€¦ I still think the best Windows ever was XP

2 Likes

Oh by the way, your poll doesnā€™t allow me to enter my age: it says 80-81 (same for 70-71).

Although I donā€™t think you can correct a poll after posting. Letā€™s try

• A
  • Z

0 voters

It seems you can only change a poll in the first 5 minutes

A and Ī©! :open_mouth:

And what a devicive decision it seems to be at the moment!

But I would assume that everybody knows what I meant. :wink: (Especially those players over 70ā€¦)

Thatā€™s right! But you could remove it and create a new one.

I hadnā€™t heard it before, but came across it while refreshing my memory on the true meaning of Ubuntu. I found it both funny and insightful, as it alludes to the ease of use that is attributed to Ubuntu (which is a good thing, after all). Which is why nowadays I prefer it over Debian on my personal desktop, even though Iā€™m not always dā€™accord with Canonicalā€™s decisions.

I guess it depends on what hardware youā€™ve got in there but post-2010ish I just donā€™t think itā€™s true anymore. Ubuntu itself has stagnated greatly since then with basics like Samba not even working properly by default anymore.

Yeah, thereā€™s a always a few manual tweaks required to accommodate ones needs, but I guess no distro is truly without fail in that regard. At least nowadays youā€™re not forced to compile your own kernel just to get your audio working :slight_smile:.

You quickly develop a standard arsenal of things. E.g., on Windows:

• WinCompose (canā€™t live without it)
  • Ditto (just a reasonably decent FOSS clipboard manager; no special attachment to the program per se)
  • X-Mouse Button Control (I just use it to scroll in inactive windows atmā€¦ Iā€™d really love to get scroll to activate the window at the same time but all I can find in Windows is focus follows cursor, which I hate)

The biggest failure of the Windows distro is that you need to click too damn much.

The Compose key is also part of my standard Linux arsenal. I replace Caps Lock with it.

On Windows I tend toward Notepad++, on Linux Geany.

2 Likes

To what question?
We have the habit to go off-topic and discuss multiple things by the time we reach post 74.

2 Likes

Most players are between 30 and 49.

Ahem. Post 3.

2 Likes

Yeah, post 3 is the average one to go off-topic. What I meant to say was: by the time we reach post 74, we usually have already discussed 5 to 20 other topics/threads.

Still I am afraid @fernhinton might be asking about the best answer to some Ubuntu question?

2 Likes

By the time we reach post 3, we already have discussed 74 different topics. :wink:

4 Likes

I get the feeling games like TWP could become increasingly popular with young people with the rise of episodic, story-focussed games like Life is Strange and The Walking Dead.

After the popularity of highly competitive and fast-paced action games like FIFA, Call of Duty, and Fortnite, it seems like more and more younger kids/teenagers are turning to more chilled games like Minecraft, Stardew Valley (I was pleasantly surprised to hear how many 12-18 year olds play it) and Life Is Strange.

Iā€™d like to see a point and click rennaissance, and donā€™t feel itā€™s too far away :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Your insight might be interesting.
Life is strange is quiteā€¦ netflixish.
Maybe thatā€™s the key.

2 Likes