Gimme points for solved puzzles!?

I can understand. Showing knowledge is always tricky because some people can perceive it as an attempt to highlight our limits or as a reminder of our flaws. I’m glad that we agree that the intent is good and that sharing knowledge and explaining stuff can have a positive impact for those who like to learn from others. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, you sure assume a lot from my comments, as it regards to agreement with your position. Or perhaps it’s that you always want the last word?

I’ll leave it here. You may want to let me know how I’m agreeing with you again. :stuck_out_tongue:

-dZ.

Anyway, back on topic. The point system in Sierra games was good and useful. Like others have said, I remember using it to know how well I’m doing in the game and how close I was to the end.

I recall in one of the Space Quests there was some puzzle wherein a significant number of points were taken out of your score. It was a joke, and after you panic watching your score decimated, it gave them back. Hehehe.

-dZ.

Plus they teach you about features. For example that you can flag posts (which is slightly hidden), or that you can reply via email.

Wow, that´s not even a straw man anymore. That´s a full grown wicker man!

I also marvel at the irony.

So basically your idea of dialogue is just “let’s agree to disagree”? I’m sorry, but it doesn’t work that way.

I might say, for example, that you “fell into the trap” to equate “let me further develop my point” with “I think you’re not smart enough to understand”. This is not a challenge where one must win, and I find it sad that you think it is.

I said “it works like educating children”, you said “well it feels like kindergarten”, I was just saying “that’s exactly my point”. But you seem to have taken offense in my not wanting to let you have the last word in the discussion.

1 Like

The only reason I would like a point system in TWP, by example, is just to keep tracking of the unsolved puzzles and/or easter eggs (it makes sense for the non mandatory puzzles like the sewer puzzle).

I imagine the beautiful sleepless nights because I can’t get the high score given that I missed the arcade tokens puzzle.

1 Like

But that wouldn’t allow the beautiful topic Little details missed or understood later to exist :smiley:

1 Like

I have not played many games that used the point system. Actually, maybe I played only one of them: Gabriel Knight 1. I have never paid attention to that counter because, unless the game captivates me in a special way, I’m not a “completist” and finishing a game without discovering all the details is absolutely fine for me.

I also like PnC adventure games with a very linear narrative, so if a puzzle has multiple solutions or the story has multiple branches or the possible endings are more than one, playing the game more than one time just to to get all the points/achievements is an activity that I would find incredibly boring.

I would say that for a very interesting game I could try to get the full score, but that would be rare. I don’t think that is is/was a bad feature, it’s just something I never cared for.

2 Likes