How to create a password

HOW TO CREATE A PASSWORD

monkey
Sorry, password length must be at least 8 characters.

monkey island
Sorry, password must contain at least 1 digit.

4 disks of monkey island
Sorry, password must not contain the space character.

4beepdisksofbeepingmonkeyisland
Sorry, password must contain at least an uppercase character.

4BEEPdisksofBEEPINGmonkeyisland
Sorry, the password can not contain more than two consecutive uppercase letters.

IamGoingToThrowYouThese4BeepingDisksOfBeepingMonkeyIslandIfYouDoNotEvenAcceptThisPassword
Sorry, the password can not contain the word “password”.

NowYouBrokeMyBeepsIwillThrowYouThese4BeepingDisksOfBeepingMonkeyIslandToYouAndYourBeepingProgrammer
Sorry, this password is already in use.

15 Likes

I’m afraid this is purely fiction since most systems won’t even allow such long passwords… :frowning:

I once encountered this problem on a system:

Passsword:  foo

Sorry, passwords must have more than 6 characters.

Password:  foobarbaz

Sorry, password must have less than 8 characters.

Wait… so, 7 characters only? Why not say so?? :roll_eyes:

“Longer is better”, that is valid even among robots and related things…:ransome:

And some system allow you to enter more characters than used internally. I remember this on the ancient German facebook-predescessor StudiVZ. They used 32 chars but let you enter more. I entered more. Then I tried shortening it and found out about the 32 char cap. Took me some time. :sweat:

Thankfully this year the NIST guidelines were updated for passwords, so we should see all those annoying password restrictions removed over the next year or two. Latest guidelines basically just suggest very long passwords, with no other requirements. Horay!

1 Like

That’s not how software updates work.

1 Like

Relevant XKCD:

2 Likes

Which reminds me of another famous wrench puzzle:

1 Like

Absolutely agree!
I once have used, as a superadministrator password, an italian sentence, space included. If translated in english, it would have been: “please let me show everything”

1 Like

This seems to be appropriate:

2 Likes

How do I auto-generate clean compliant underwear?

With this little fella (the machine, not the presenter):

2 Likes

If you’re responsible for a website or app that takes payments, you’re required to follow the NIST standards, so they have no choice! Horay!

Reminds me of trying to get a MSN email account you could be there for fracking hours! It was a joke.

Or indeed trying to register a .com domain. They’ve all been had by sodding bots and the people who have them sit on them and try to charge an arm and a leg!

One of the best things about having your own domains is having lovely short email addresses.

Your face has a short email address.

1 Like

#rejectedlovesonglyrics

2 Likes

When I see your faaaace, there’s not a thing that I would change except your faaaace

(© Mr Parsons)

4 Likes

You’re married to Bruno Mars? :open_mouth: :sparkles:

1 Like

In any case I was sort of relieved when there was no handle that could light up. :dizzy_face:

2 Likes