Netflix (and other VOD) recommendations

Well that was a weird thing. He was let go as a showrunner after season 3. When after season 4 everyone complained that most of the characters acted way out of it he was brought back for season 5 and 6 and the in universe explaination was a gas leak at the Greendale campus that made everyone act weird. That´s why season 4 has been refered to as “the gas leak year” in an out of the show.
It was also his falling out with Chevy Chase that made him go, though in the end most seemed to be siding with Harmon saying that working with Chase was being really unpleasent (like to Donald Glover) because he was basically playing himself on the show.

Yeah, you know. I´m really not sure if they can keep up the quality for too long. A concept that is so out there can only do so much before it´s getting annoying. So I hope they don´t overdo it.

That is bizarre.

Same. I feel like there’s still some scope left, but I hope they don’t drag it out too much longer.

So what is next then? Bojack Horseman? :horse:

Hm, I don’t know if that one is my sort of thing. Have you watched it?

We’ve got a few things on the go at the moment (ER, The Staircase, Jonathan Creek) and imminently Orange is the New Black. And Saul.

There will be a hole left by Rick and Morty though!

Not yet but I heard lots of things saying it goes in a similar direction. The titular character is voiced by Will Arnett and Allison Brie and Aaron Paul are also on the regular cast, which makes it additionally interesting for me.

Only two things for me at the moment are the thematically compatible The Strain (which I seriously consider finishing by just buying the episodes of Season 4 once I´m through with Season 3) and From Dusk Till Dawn where I also plan to see the whole three season run(and Saul of course).

You mean like a dimensional portal? :laughing:

Hm, not sure I’ve come across that. Assuming it’s related to the film.

:laughing: long as it doesn’t go to that weird land of balls.

It is (at least so far) more or less a remake of the film with more backstory, additional plot and other small changes. But it is the story of the movie spread over three seasons.

So far I´m liking it better than expected. That guy playing Seth Gecko does a really good Clooney impression while the guy who plays Richie more does his own thing (while looking quite a bit like Cillian Murphy actually) .

The Sheriff is played by Don Johnson (who gets more screen time via flashbacks) and Harvey Keitel´s Jacob Fuller is played by Robert Patrick this time. Also there will be other Rodriguez alumni be appearing later on, I think.

Rodriguez produced the show himself, wrote it and also directed a handful of episodes. It was the first show on his own El Rey Network that started in 2014.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the info. Sounds like a good cast. I’ll add it to me list!

1 Like

Season 3 of The Strain has a character named Captain Kate Rogers! :open_mouth:

Haha! How funny… I remember Katie Rogers also being a character in a soap over here once. But it’s much cooler being a captain :sunglasses:

1 Like

*Googles her to see if she’s prettier*

Well, if you want to her my personal opinion…

falls down staircase

That made me laugh a lot more than it should’ve done :joy:

She actually looks a lot like my mate’s girlfriend. That’s very weird.

She is also a very very minor character only and confusingly not the blonde girl from London (her name is Dutch and she´s a main character).

1 Like

Dark Tourist looks good! Just added it to my list.

Oddly the synopses don’t seem to be working on Netflix (they were there before), but description from Google:

Most tourists like to visit popular sites and attractions, like beaches, stadiums and museums, while on vacation. There is a subset of tourism, however, that involves visiting places that are historically associated with death and tragedy. Journalist David Farrier focuses on that area of travel, known as dark tourism, in this docuseries. In each episode, Farrier travels to a different locale to visit destinations and have experiences that wouldn’t be on most vacationers’ bucket lists. He embeds himself in a death-worshipping cult in Mexico, sees tourists soaking up radiation left behind in Fukushima, meets vampires in New Orleans, and travels to the most-nuked place on Earth for atomic swimming and fishing.

I´ve seen all episodes and really enjoyed it (with the odd caveat here and there). Even though the New Zealand accent of that guy took me really a while to get used to.

I must have forgotten to recommend it after I watched it.

1 Like

It’s entirely possible you did and I forgot. I think it’s only just come on UK Netflix.

It’s okay, I’ve seen enough Flight of the Conchords to be used to it :wink:

Maybe it´s just me, but I thought it was a bit different than that.

Anyway if you see the whole thing I can also comment on certain pieces I didn´t really like. But the overall idea was absolutly tailor made for my personal interests and tastes.

1 Like

I’ll let you know when I get round to watching it. Sounds right up my street too.

1 Like

Just watched the first episode, in Mexico. The Escobar bit was interesting, as was the exorcism and the weird illegal immigrant tour-cum-roleplay. I would not want to do that.

I see what you mean about his accent - it’s quite odd. The style of the show (and the guy himself) really reminds me of Louis Theroux.