Netflix (and other VOD) recommendations

You’ll love it :wink:

1 Like

New recommendation!

On Amazon, there’s this “Hap & Leo” series.
I discovered it today. I watched the first episode, seems promising.
I loved the books by Joe R Lansdale:

I wonder if @PiecesOfKate had the chance to check 'em out.
If I recall well, @seguso liked that books too, he might be interested in the TV series.

2 Likes

Not yet but thanks for the reminder!

The Staircase is really good. The episode I just watched had me just sat there for a bit afterwards.

I want to say more but it’s one of those ones where you really can’t! Nnngh :zipper_mouth_face:

Edit: I did mean to add, though, that one of the reasons it’s so interesting is the insight into how the defence is planned throughout a trial. Usually you only see the courtroom stuff and it was really eye-opening to see all the behind-the-scenes discussions, research and test runs.

1 Like

So I do watch quite a lot of Netflix myself. But this is pretty close to the experience I have on those undecided evenings:

You’re right. We (me and my wife) spend definitely too much time browsing undecided. But if you (generic) are so bored you spend 7 minutes and 8 secs of your life (I didn’t) watching another undecided person browsing like yourself, that means the dimension of the problem is quite out of control…

I have to unpack my dvds as soon as possible.

Depends on how entertained I feel personally.

But yeah great thing about physical media is that I never have to see that loading wheel in the most unfitting moments.

I personally have some issues with Netflix.
One is the browsing UI.
One is the fact that there are no contents produceced before the 2000s (with few notable exceptions).
The two things are intertwined, I guess, since that wheels are studies for browsing and highlighting new contents…

Netflix is unbeatable for novelties, but it definitely lacks a “classics” and “cult” section.

Oh absoluty. I usually through the whole thing by selecting a genre, then ordering it by release date and scroll down. Usually the pre 2000nds movies are the last 20 on the list.

However recently I saw films like To Kill A Mockingbird or Touch Of Evil on there. Better than nothing at all.

Amazon prime has far more older films.

Yes, especially from the 80es and 90es, though.
I had a sat Sky subscription in my old home. I was disappointed by its classics too (too few…), but comparing with Netflix and Amazon, that is a whole universe!
Maybe I should try the web version of Sky…
Aren’t there streaming sites especially dedicated to classics as far as you know?

Unfortunatly not. As far as real old movies go amazon all puts them togehter under pre 1960s so that tells you how little there is. But I saw Les Diaboliques on prime that was great!

That’s not included in the italian site, unfortunately.
Touch of evil. Star Trek the classic series. A bunch of Monty Python stuff. That’s pretty much all on netflix, right now…

There’s definitely a lack of old films, even classics that you might expect to find. Any time I look for a classic Hitchcock or something, it’s not on Sky box sets or Netflix, and if it’s on Amazon Prime it costs extra.

I’d also like some good documentaries. The other day something sparked my interest in the AIDs epidemic so I searched and couldn’t find a single relevant documentary - just bloomin’ Philadelphia.

Netflix? What’s that?

4 Likes

Storage? What’s that?

1 Like

3 Likes

Many of those DVDs have director’s commentary or other worthwhile extras in some way, including on old films like The Fall of the House of Usher. Netflix is potentially better or at least more convenient than TV (its quality is rather disappointing compared to satellite in particular), but it’s just TV on demand. It’s not an alternative for one of the things that attracts me to DVDs.

@milanfahrnholz That’s one big box of Cheers!

1 Like

I want to showcase my DVDs dammit :disappointed_relieved: there’s no space! I can just about display about a third of my books (they take preference).

That is the whole show(11 seasons)! It´s on no streaming service I know of either.

1 Like