Netflix (and other VOD) recommendations

Oh Wormwood, I forgot that one. Only seen one episode so far, but a curious mix of real life interviews and arty cinematography. It’s a true story about an Army scientist who jumped out of a window to his death, then years later it emerges it was the result of a top secret experiment. The interviews are with his son, who speaks about it really well.

1 Like

I think I already recommended “Love” a couple of times, because I found it extremly funny. But I guess it´s not for everybody. It ended this year after three seasons.

1 Like

I need to add Rick and Morty to this too. While some aspects of the characters annoyed me at first (Rick’s dribbling and burping; Morty’s whiny voice), it’s been making me laugh so much.

Morty is an anxious adolescent kid and Rick is his scientist grandpa who drags him on all sorts of weird expeditions. It’s completely nutty but the scenarios they end up in are inspired. The humour is pretty smart but not alienating.

I’m looking forward to the episode where Rick is a pickle. Here’s a clip of him taking down a cockroach and poking its brain to control its legs.

Coincidentally, Jemaine Clement was in the episode I watched last night :slightly_smiling_face: he voiced an interdimensional gaseous being called Fart.

1 Like

Not Netflix but Amazon Prime in germany. I wasn´t aware that there was a Sci-Fi Comedy Show starring Simon Pegg and NIck Forst out. It´s called Spaced and has about 14 comedy show lenght episodes (ie 24 mins). Be watching that when I´m done with Season 2 of AHS (which btw I like way better than season 2).

1 Like

I’m surprised you’re not aware of Spaced. It’s quite old now but so, so good. It only had a short run but it never went crap like a lot of things do. It’s what introduced me (and most people) to Pegg and Frost.

It predates SOTD? I didn´t know that. Prime sometimes gives weird release dates. It says 2018 on there which just refers to the date they added it. But it makes sense for it to be older. Good to know it´s them at their best!

Yep, 1999. You should definitely check it out :+1:

1 Like

Love that! I remember watching it a while back. The scene with Tyres coming back from a rave and dancing/pointing at things in their kitchen still cracks me up.

2 Likes

Looks like they have your Scully figurine on that show! :laughing:

Haha :smile: I seem to remember Tim has a Gillian Anderson poster in his room too.

I spotted a poster of the movie (which was just out at the time this was made) in his room and he also referenced her (“the only woman a I ever cared for that is not an FBI agent or computer generated”). At the beginning of the second episode where he has a nightmare and fake wakes up at one point he has the figure lying on his face where you can see it very clearly. It can also be spotted on other occasions, too.

Very fun show, I think I´ve already seen half of it last evening.

1 Like

Haha, it’s nice being reminded of those episodes. I’ve watched it twice through but may have to watch it again as now I’m jealous.

I think one of my favourite scenes is the Robot Wars roleplay Tim does with Daisy (pretending she’s Philippa Forrester). If you don’t know what Robot Wars TV show is it might be worth checking out a clip first.

And the Tyres episode that I think Yrface referred to.

And the ‘finger guns’ episode.

Sigh, so many :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m sure there’s a sultry GA poster in it somewhere… Keep your eyes peeled!

You got it on VOD somewhere in the UK? It´s only been just made available on Prime here which might be the first time ever in germany (there is no dub for it too, which is just fine with me).

I´m sure that will be very…ahem…familar to me then…:flushed:

In some of those zombie scenes you can really see like Pegg and Wright might have already planned ahead for Shaun Of The Dead even then.

I also love when he plays playstation games:

Resident Evil 2:

“It´s a real sublime combination of lateral thinking and extreme violence” (shows ingame footage of Leo shooting a zombie that lies on the floor with a shootgun).

Tomb Raider 3:

“She´s drowning”
“Yes!”
“Is this the point of the game, to do that?”
“Depends on your mood, I guess.”

The dialogue is really great. For some reason I really got a big laugh out of:

“I will meet up with Mike at 2200 Hours, everbody else I meet you at 10” (acknowledging Mike´s military speech there).

For reasons I´m not sure about Daisy makes me think of @tasse-tee. Might be the hair? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yep, it’s in the Channel 4 free on demand stuff. We might even have it on DVD somewhere actually…

Don’t worry, think I had that one too :wink:

Yeah, it’s the same dynamic :slightly_smiling_face:

That bit cracked me up too. Is that when they’re rescuing the dog?

Isn’t Daisy blonde? Or maybe that’s just when she comes back from… Hm, not really a spoiler but I won’t say just in case!

Yes.

Yes.

Watched 7 episodes so far. Since there is no footie tonight I guess I can manage the rest.

1 Like

Also loving the accent of the landlady. :smile:

1 Like

Lots of them - including her - have cameos in the Cornetto films.

1 Like

And I´ve been thinking who I remember her as.

Also I briefly saw Bill Bailey in one episode(who also seems to have other credits on the show as well).

1 Like

Oh, now this topic can be interesting for me too. I have a Netflix account now!

Too bad most of the stuff in Switzerland has no Italian dubbing :expressionless: English or German, and it’s useless for the daughters.