News! Update? DLC?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s always nice when people in a community interact in a civil way to clarify their own positions but for comedy purposes I cannot help but thinking that the whole forum experience would be way more fun if we all behaved like apes and threw feces at Ron regardless of what he decides to do with his games.

My two cents.

1 Like

I don’t have any expectations for whatever might be added to the game. I’m just grateful that TT and co. are still doing some stuff and I’ll take what comes. There’s no list of expectations for me and anything else from this point on is just gravy. It’s a great game that stands very highly as it already is so any improvements to such a title is gravy.

And that would still be a hundered times more civilized than the majority of internet communites I have seen.

You might not have meant to upset Mr. Gilbert but your comments were certainly on the inflammatory side. This is actually the second time on this forum that I’ve seen you create this kind of conflict with the games’ creator.

In addition, saying “I’m sorry you were offended” is not a real apology. It’s just assigning the blame to the other party.

TWP, and its open development process has been my favorite thing to come around in years, so I feel very defensive about this. Thanks so much Ron!

4 Likes

The kind of criticism that makes me eye-roll the most is the “I wouldn’t have made that mistake”, or “If you knew what you were doing” kind of comments. Those more born from being naive about what the process to make anything is, and often put me on the defensive.

I often play games where something frustrates me, is buggy, or I completely disagree with the design decision. The first thing I do is ask “I wonder why they made that decision?”. Often I can chock it up to “there just wasn’t enough time”. If I know the dev, I’ll send them a email or DM and ask them, “Why did you do this?”. Nine out of ten times, I’ll get back an answer where I go “Oh, of course.”, or “Yeah, it sucks to run out of time or money.” Or they say “yep, we blew it” and I think “Yep, been there, done that.”

Things are very clear when playing a finished game, they aren’t so clear in the heat of production.

I enjoy explaining why we made the decisions we did. Sometimes it was on purpose, other times we just missed something, or plain fucked up. What I don’t enjoy is explaining that and then getting a bunch of people saying or implying “I wouldn’t have made that mistake”, or “How could you not see that?” It makes me reluctant to explain why we did what we did. I don’t want to be attacked or second guessed for it, even if it was (in retrospect) a bad decision. I don’t think anyone would. I realize people aren’t attacking on purpose, but it’s how it comes across sometimes. When other devs make creative decisions I disagree with, I want to know why they made them, but I don’t argue with them. It is their “art”, not mine.

I guess it’s the difference between doing a post-mortem at a place like GDC, where your peers can empathize with your mistakes and learn from them. I’ve never felt attacked at GDC for talking about a mistake. I get asked a lot of tough questions and am challenged about what I think I could do better next time. But these are coming from people who what to learn, not criticize.

All that said, this is a great community and I do enjoy reading what everyone is thinking. Over the past two years, we’ve become “friends”. I put that in quotes, because, no, you can’t crash on my couch when you’re in town.

The changes we’re making to the game come directly from your feedback. Maybe we didn’t change them as much as you wanted, or maybe we didn’t change the one you wanted, but we do listen and take everything in.

17 Likes

[quote=“RonGilbert, post:38, topic:650”]
Over the past two years, we’ve become “friends”. [/quote]
:grinning:

:frowning:

6 Likes

Damnit! And I thought I was this close!

He only said couch…

I hope we could at least go out for a beer.

Anyway, but maybe it’s just because I loved the in-jokes and I wanted to divorce my wife when she put the toilet roll under, I loved both “options” and the way they were presented to the public.

I mean, even after the game came out we, as a community, are still having an influence on the game. Even if it’s just out of spite, even if it actually were a * beep * you to us all that would be just great.

I develop for a living, not videogames - I develop also games, but just as a hobby - and I know what it means having to publish a software. Most of our features for the next version are just “things we had planned for this version but didn’t have time to implement”, and then sometimes the customers come and want more and so it’s a neverending story.

The good part is, the customers want things they actually need to work better and increase their profits. So it makes perfect sense. They have a requirement our software doesn’t fulfill, they write us and say “hey could you do this for the next version?”. There are sometimes customers that are quite rude and say “your software is * beep * and it’s useless for us, the next version better do what we want”, but still, they pay good money for the software and again, it’s needed for them to make a profit.

For a videogame, there are no needs, everyone just… expects. And they want their expectations to be met perfectly. And boy do we complain. Maybe everyone should take on coding once in a while to see what it means to publish a game, even the smallest one, and then think again before being rude to another developer :smiley:

1 Like

Well in that case…

1 Like

No, I was being sincere apologizing for saying anything that could have offended Mr. Gilbert. I own my words; I did not mean to offend him, but I can clearly see that they did, so I take them back and apologize for it. Quit trying to make me into some kind of monster.

I agree with you completely there, and in my defense I never ever said those things. If what I said came out that way, then it was a poor choice of words on my part and I apologize. I hope you can accept that.

Fair enough. However, It works both ways, Mr. Gilbert. In the past, especially in the blog, I have commented on how your responses sometimes appear to be flippant.

In fact, this whole argument started because in my initial comment I suggested that the option to disable “in-jokes” seemed a bit extreme and like a big “f*ck you” to complainers. You then asserted that that was the point because they were being silly. How should I feel when I was one of the people who mentioned that there were too many in-jokes?

Anyway, I don’t want to stir anything up. I really am sincerely sorry for offending you, Mr. Gilbert; you are a person I admire and look up to, so I hope we can make peace.

I look forward to them. :slight_smile:

-dZ.

suspicious eyebrows

I…I may have said too much already

Is that beef off the grill now? @RonGilbert lol

Alright folks, here´s for some more clarity. I most definitly applaud this!

2 Likes

Woo-hoo! It seems like inter-playable-character remarks. :thumbsup:

YEAH BABY! This means TWP becomes officially a perfect game!

(why do I care so much about this? I’m scared)

I am personally grateful, as your customer and fan, for your dedication to your craft. It is both an inspiration and a delight.

Talk is cheap. Hell, talk on the internet is free. In my experience as a fellow creator (not games, but comics) sometimes people have the best intentions when giving feedback, sometimes they don’t. It’s okay to decide what to listen and what to ignore. God knows there’s a LOT of the second.

1 Like

Oh, so you have been to the comment section of YouTube!

2 Likes

current mood: