Piracy avoidance

Yes, I got the same crack intro on my copy.

As I´ve said elsewhere I got Maniac Mansion in a disc box having no idea what it was. Only the name written with a pencil on the label of the disc:

I believe there was two ways to access the game one was “LOAD *,8,1” the other was “LOAD MANIAC,8,1” which you only really would´ve needed to do if there was another game on the same disc I think.

Years later I learned that MM had a similar code system like Zak when I got the PC version on the 10 Adventures Collectors Box(but there the door was permanently opened). So I just assumed the crackers had removed the steel door for the C64, but then I learned that wasn´t the case either.

So I only really know the C64 version and the enhanced versions that came out in like 88 or 89 but the initial 1987 release was also for DOS and Apple II, maybe someone who played those knows more about the copy proection there.

Anyway when we bought the retail copy of Zak it had the exit Visa codes and again we wouldn´t have bought that game hadn´t it been linked to Maniac Mansion in a 64 games magazine and Maniac Mansion we probably hadn´t learned about hadn´t it been for that disc box.

1 Like