Sales for past Lucasfilm games

[quote=“seguso, post:16, topic:621”]
So, what is the most likely explanation? off the top of my head the possibilities are
[/quote]5) The Monkey Island SE were much cheaper than TWP to begin with. Even more so in a bundle.

Sadly, the price difference has its trade offs, as the SE is less polished, ie. especially the first game makes a sloppy impression with unfinished HD art and a clumsy UI.

Well, if you are right that the price is an issue, then they are doing a good strategy. It’s called price discrimination: first you set a high price and you sell to those who value the game most. Then after months you lower the price and you sell to those who value the game less. In the end, everybody has paid the maximum he would pay, you maximize profit, and everybody is happy.

2 Likes

I understand that the game is not doing bad, although it is also not doing as good as you’d hope. You mentioned in another thread that this means that you are not in a position to start working on another game immediately. Does this mean that once some expected numbers are reached, you will be in such a position?

Also, to go with that non-Friday question: Does the reception of Thimbleweed Park and its sales have any influence in your future game-designing plans? I mean, you’ve stated many times that you wish this game to be a runaway hit not only with fans but with a newer generation of players, so that you could start making these sort of games for a living. If you make any future games, would they be as part of a more mature commercial enterprise, or will they remain one-off labor-of-love pieces to be made occasionally and when funds are available?

-dZ.

You are right.
In spite of my insistence, my co-worker will await for Steam sales (mid-June) before purchasing Thimbleweed Park.
He is one who likes Monkey Island but he says that he spends too much for games, so…

Fixed it! I always miss the “C”, didn’t mean to disrespect!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bravo! :wink: 1234567890

Actually, that is a problem isn’t it? So many people buy SO many games these days that it’s logical to wait for big sales. I know I’m waiting for the next big one before buying a bunch of adventures on my Steam wishlist. There are also the Humble Bundles.

1 Like

How about the other game, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders? :smile:

1 Like

Yes and no. AFAIR the boxed version of MI:SE was sold in germany for 20 Euros (like TWP). And you still have to pay 10 Euros on GOG and Steam.

Yes, it’s a hughe problem. The Steam users are knowing that there will be a sale - and they just wait. A lot of indie developers only make money when a Humble Bundle or some other sale is going on. (But then they buy more games and some of the games they never play…)

[quote=“Someone, post:29, topic:621”]
Yes and no. AFAIR the boxed version of MI:SE was sold in germany for 20 Euros (like TWP).
[/quote]That’s for two games, though, which makes each of them half of what TWP costs.
And that’s not counting some sale, but comparing prices at release. Downloads were also about 10 Euros each right from the beginning.
Seems they didn’t even consider their games worth 20 Euros for the majority of potential buyers. If they did, they probably would have spent some more on the team in charge for the HD art and would have done a better job at it.
At least, they did a good job at the music and voice acting.

I’ve bought a ridiculous amount of games at full price but I’m not going to turn down sales entirely when they come along. In a sense, it can help some companies get more money out of me because if I like what they have to offer I’ll continue to follow them and pay in full next time. In many cases I might not have even given a game a chance were it not for sales and therefore they’d never be taking my money.

To be honest, I am still not completely sold on games being distributed digitally these days. While it’s certainly a good thing for the whole indie scene, I cannot bring myself to attach the same value to a pure digital product than to a box on a shelf in a store. So I regularly will either wait for a boxed copy to arrive, or for a seizable discount on the digital-only version.

TWP was a bit of an exception, as it’s definitely worth $20, if not more. I’m still hoping for an affordable box, too.

Of course, I can speak only for myself, but when I saw the kickstarter campaign, I did perceive TWP inspired by MM, not by MI and that for me was an immediate letdown.

Though, I didn’t want something related to Caribbean islands, pirates or Guybrush, I just would have preferred a game more similar to MI: one single character to identify with and MI-inspired graphics.

(and after I played the game, I would also have preferred an immersive story that didn’t break the illusion of living a fantasy role, reminding me that I’m just an ordinary person in front of a screen)

I perfectly understand that my desires were not compatible with the game that they wanted to make and that’s OK for me, because I think that artists have the right to express themselves as they wish. But I also understand why not all MI fans were attracted by the game that they saw on kickstarter or even after its graphic style changed.

2 Likes

I wonder how well a regular TWP boxed version would actually do in Germany. Don’t think it’d reach the younger audience (iOS and Android apps are certainly better suited for that demographic), but I would imagine that there are plenty people, nostalgic like me, that have little interest in this intangible download-stuff. Of course, just a Steam-installer on polycarbonate likely wouldn’t cut it.

1 Like

Seeing how many copies get sold digitally nowadays, I’m not sure about the prospects of such a box in the store, because only few people use to take look at the games there any more. The prospects for the box might be better on Amazon.

I don’t think nowadays there are really ‘plenty’ out there justifying making a boxed version. I suspect they are normally done because the developers really want to do them and sometimes because vocal minorities requesting them (e.g. on Kickstarter).

It seems like beside collectors all over the world especially Germans still like purchasing physical copies, also they seem much more against DRM (and pro privacy) than other places.

But it seems like digital downloads are the biggest chunk everywhere by now and physical editions are a collector’s thing.

Yep. There is no money is boxed versions. You break even, if you’re lucky. They are just cool, so devs like to do them.

4 Likes

TWP was the first computer game I bought in probably 10-20 years. I’m guessing like others my age, people who grew up playing the LucasArts games on C64 probably don’t have time for that stuff anymore.

But, I suspect they all have iPhones, so I imagine the iOS version would attract many more people that can play on their commute, etc.

1 Like

What about box, manual, disk cover graphic files to download and… do yourself?

1 Like