ScummVM 2.0 released for testing: supports new adventure games

The developers of ScummVM have released the 2.0 version of the program, which support 23 new games and fixes several bugs.

It’s a version that needs to be tested by the players, so if you want to give a hand to the developers, feel free to download the new version and test it.

New games supported:

• Cranston Manor
  • Full Pipe
  • Gabriel Knight
  • Gabriel Knight 2
  • King’s Quest VII
  • King’s Questions
  • Leisure Suit Larry 6 (hi-res)
  • Leisure Suit Larry 7
  • Lighthouse
  • Mixed-Up Mother Goose Deluxe
  • Phantasmagoria
  • Phantasmagoria 2
  • Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties
  • Police Quest 4
  • RAMA
  • Riven: The Sequel to Myst
  • Shivers
  • Space Quest 6
  • Starship Titanic
  • The Dark Crystal
  • Time Zone
  • Torin’s Passage
  • Ulysses and the Golden Fleece

Link to the official announcement:

http://www.scummvm.org/news/20171122/

7 Likes

Interesting. A big bunch of Sierra games + some others. Still haven’t played Starship Titanic. Would give a try to the Myst and Riven implementation. Looks like they got the codecs for videos to play. It was always a big hassle to install QuickTime in the correct version back in the original days.
Also Full Pipe is now supported, great game, I like the animator and his cartoons.

1 Like

Don’t expect too much: I played it (but a long time ago) and was a little bit disappointed. It hasn’t the humor of his books (AFAIR).

Not exactly. For a second, I though the space time continuum is bent somehow causing this forum to be faster than the ScummVM team. But in reality, it is just a misleading title. Their headline is “ScummVM 2.0 Release Testing Has Begun”.
I’m sure, it will be released very soon, though.

Would “ScummVM 2.0 released for testing” be a more accurate title?

Yes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still worth a try. Just to be complete. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The final version of ScummVM 2.0 has been released:

http://scummvm.org/news/20171217/

3 Likes

I played it when it was new but never got really far. As far as I know there was a book based on the game later on. Might not have been by Douglas Adams himself though, might have been by Terry Jones.

Now it’s time to try getting a copy of “Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties” and try it out. :joy:

Yes, both is correct. :slight_smile: I own the (German translation of the) book but haven’t read it yet. You can still buy the book, here is the link to the English version:

The German translation was sold as “Raumschiff Titantic”:

Well, this was more a (bad) slideshow. :wink: According to Wikipedia the actress of the female main character Jeanne Basone wasn’t only an actress but also involved in Wrestling…

1 Like

Personally I had never even heard of that “game” before AVGN, and I guess the popularity push of that episode might be the reason it is now on the list at all.

2 Likes

I never expected for game support to actually land in the engine, thought it was just an April 1st joke. :sweat_smile: t

There was an article about it in a German video game magazine a few month ago - in the category “legendary worst games”. :slight_smile:

Yes, I am surprised too, because it isn’t an adventure game. It’s more a slideshow. :slight_smile:

AVGN gave the Jeckyll and Hyde NES game a huge popularity boost too. People just get curious to try out notoriously bad games themselves.

Hehe. Yes, time for a new topic: Worst adventure games of all times. :wink:

/edit: Did that.

1 Like

Remembers me of SCI/AGI: ScummVM - Announcing CABAL

Regarding Starship Titanic:

When I bought the game originally, the book was included in the game box. I enjoyed the game, the humor was dry and interesting, and I liked the “Spooki-talk” algorithm they game the text-interface with the games “AI”, which tried to respond to your inquiries with something ‘spookily’ relevant to your entry. It was an interesting combination of point and click with a text-parser option for in-game dialog. I’m not sure if the text entry was a requirement to finish the game, or just an option for advice & hints, I can’t remember. I do remember the VERY SLOW elevator in the game, and the music you got to listen to while in it still haunts me.

I think I might see if I can locate my original game data and try this new ScummVM version with it…

2 Likes

Nobody knew that Sierra engines will actually land in ScummVM code back then. But they did. :joy: