Official Thimbleweed Park Forums

The real movie which Monkey Island story was inspired from

Just some Wiki for everyone who might be interested.

“Il Corsaro Nero” is the title of the novel which the movie was inspired from.
In Italy “The Black Corsair” is an iconic character. He’s THE pirate, even for people who didn’t read Salgari’s book. Many movies were based upon that novel.

I think they changed the international title because they thoght that the reference to Salgari might have been too obscure… I’m quite confident the only Salgari’s character who’s really globally famous is Sandokan.

4 Likes

Basically you can hold up Monkey Island to any classic pirate film and you’ll probably find some fairly clear visual parallels. Most of the stuff in this movie is long-established pirate tropes.

I don’t have too many of 'em on DVD, just three I think, but I watched a ton of them back in the day.

This particular one isn’t a Bud Spencer & Terence Hill movie, but a movie with Bud Spencer & Terence Hill in it. Not necessarily a bad thing I suppose, as the Spencer & Hill movies get a lot more formulaic. But this movie can’t really decide if it’s a comedy or a drama and both parts suffer for it. My Name is Nobody sort of does the same thing but much more successfully.

2 Likes

It is quite obscure, too. I think most of italian people have never heard of it, including me until today.

I’ve found the movie online, hosted by Dailymotion.
It’s in italian language, no subtitles.
Part 1
Part 2

In Italian?
Are you saying that these guys didn’t speak English whilst moving their lips a bit oddly?!?

2 Likes

:open_mouth: I thought they are speaking German…

1 Like

I’ve actually seen many of them in German. :wink:

1 Like

Most likely they acted speaking in English, and in post production they were dubbed in Italian (even if a good part of the cast is Italian). Back then it costed less money this way.

Yesterday evening I watched the movie. Thank you for the link! It is exactly what I needed to relax a bit. And I liked the acting roles of Hill and Spencer which are different from usual, before this couple’s formula was established. The plot goes on in the second part not as balanced as it could between drama and fun, as @Frenzie said, but in the end I liked it.
As for the original language of acting: it is likely that it was acted in Italian, and Spanish, depending on the nationality of the cast.
I can be quite sure, reading their lips, that Hill, Spencer and some other actors acted in italian (even if dubbed in their very same language) while Don Pedro (spanish actor Francisco Martinez Celeiro) and Carmen (spanish actress Aurora Julià) probably acted in Spanish. It is an italian-spanish co-production after all.

3 Likes

@Sushi said he may or may not have seen it as a kid. I was the one who provided an opinion on the movie. :smiley:

3 Likes

I didn’t know they did a pirate movie. Then again, I never bothered with Terence Hill movies. I found the Bud Spencer solo movies more entertaining.

So the opposite of what the tread title suggest. Then, “The movie which inspired Monkey Islands’ settings and characters” would be more like it, I guess.

More like a beat 'em up kind of movie, I suspect, right? Explains LeChuck’s strong punch.

1 Like

That Mancomb look alike also looks like Sal Vulcano with a real beard.

1 Like

Think more My Name is Nobody with pirates than Trinity.

2 Likes

I’ve heard MI2 and big Whoop is based on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Finds_a_Friend_Finds_a_Treasure

2 Likes

Afaik, Monkey Island 2 was based on Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean ride, which also leads to the entire theme park idea.

While we’re on the topic of Bud Spencer and Terence Hill movies that inspired video games… there is also a video game based on their movies apparently (wait- that is actually the same thing!- oh well)

1 Like

Video games based on movies happen a lot, and rarely are worth it.
Likewise movies based on video games are rarely worth it.
Of course, there certainly are outstanding exceptions, but still rare.
Maybe we could make a threads to list those exceptions.

I was simply surprised that after more than 30 years someone thought of creating a game of what was a popular film series in the 70s and 80s.
I’ve played my share of bad movie adaptations, no worries. :wink:

3 Likes

Here’s one I haven’t seen:

Yes, I had met the guys while they were programming SLAPS’N’BEANS. They got the IP for the characters and music, too, thanks to a good Kickstarter program. They raised enough money to develop a good game.
I have it in my Steam library, it seems to play inside a Bud Spencer & Terence Hill’s compilation of movies!

3 Likes
Official Thimbleweed Park Forums powered by Discourse.