The Steve Kirk Appreciation topic

An example for an adventure with music is Crime Time.

Ok, the music is pretty cool, but not something I would endure now for hours. In the 90’s I probably wouldn’t mind as much.

And that´s all the more reason I´d be curious how the TwP soundtrack would sound on the SID. Back then they of course tried to get everything out it they possibly could. But maybe you don´t have to use all the voices or duplicates.

Hmm,

The soundtrack is a bit of a sticking point for me, on one hand I enjoy the feeling it gives me, and the ambiance it sets… but on the other I feel it isn’t all that memorable.

I thought the majority of the soundtrack was nice “background” music, heavily channeling Twin Peaks for its smokey Jazz like sound, especially as you walk around the town, I can say the soundtrack does set a great tone.

The “Circus” and similar sounding “Thimble Con” music was my favourite part of the soundtrack as it was starkly different to the rest of the music.

The main theme has me absolutely split down the middle, It has a great homage to “surf rock” and the overall punchy upbeat nature makes it exciting. It also has a great opening few bars of melody on the guitar that Steve could have (and imo should have) returned to as his main melody which would have made it easy to hum along to, but sadly its not the case as it trails off, changing direction, modulating and weaving in and out of new melodic content many times. The structure continuously changes. It just should have returned to a “main melody” to provide a grounding for the rest of the content in the short 2 minutes…

…this is an example of what makes it so hard for me to love not only the main theme but the majority of the soundtrack as often there wasn’t anything all that memorable from a hummable melodic stand point.

Fair play to him I do think he was onto something great, but I think it could have done with a few more drafts.

I feel bad to give TWP any bad reviews, but it really was the only part of the entire game I felt could have been stronger.

3 Likes

Just came here to rave about the TWP soundtrack.

After finishing the game, I bought it on bandcamp right away. I’m having trouble putting into words how much I love it. It’s really pulling at my heartstrings. I’m sure there must be a word for when music makes you feel giddy and cheerful, and somehow deeply sad at the same time, but it’s escaping me now.

It’s been playing almost nonstop for the last couple of weeks while I work.

3 Likes

Bittersweet?

The mood set by Kirk’s music really made the Delores sections come to life for me, and added emotional weight to the whole game in a good way.

1 Like

I don’t know, kind of bittersweet. Wistful? Melancholic? None of these REALLY fit. :slight_smile: But I love it.

edit: except for the elevator music. It’s lovely, but I think I listened to it too much during the game, lol.

1 Like