After TWP, The Cave

It’s on iOS, so get an iphone or ipad and just play!
I did, and the music reminded me of the circus in TWP. Perhaps I forgot it was mentioned before, but then I looked into the credits and yep: Steve Kirk!

1 Like

Oh, you are going to donate us an iPhone or an iPad? That’s great! Should we send you our addresses via PM?

2 Likes

@Sushi : can I have another Android instead?

Edit: I would also like a new SSD for my laptop.

2 Likes

I didn’t knew that before. But yesterday I found a podcast with an interview to Steve Kirk and he also talks extensively about the music of SSITVTDTUSS:AMMTPRPG (Scurvy Scallywags…):

No need to PM, I just send it to:

Mr. Someone
Somewhere
Germany

Should arrive around yesterday.

I guess it’s not a simple problem that one can quickly fix and re-submit?

hey, @BigRedButton asked “is there another way to purchase the game legally, I am all ears” and I provided a valid answer. (rather than saying he should act like a real pirate)
Perhaps he has an android phone but also an iPad?
It’s not MY fault that apple stuff costs a s***tload of money.

but to answer your question: yes, PM me and I will provide you the details (only $999.99 in advance, to cover the shipping costs)

Now if you’ll excuse me, I am going to play some more Scurvy Scallywags.

P.S.: @LowLevel, @Ignacio, @milanfahrnholz, @besmaller, @PiecesOfKate, @cvalenti, @DanielWolf, @Ema, @seguso you can legally get Grim Fandango remastered for free today on GOG. spread the word…)

5 Likes

Taken!
Thanks

And I added a valid comment.

Most people aren’t that rich and can’t afford an iOS gadget but would like to play the game on Android. Or the PC, Mac, Linux, PS4 … Maybe it’s an option for @RonGilbert and his colleague to port it to other systems? I for myself would like to buy the game - but not on iOS.

Can you wait a few days? It seems that the next flight to the Bermuda Triangle is on Sunday and the next Lotto drawings are on Wednesday …

no, actually you just made fun of me. (no problem, I can take it)
But I got your underlying comment right away, that an iOS device is too expensive for some people and that it is not an option because of that.
I can’t afford a PS4 or a Mac or a Switch or…, so there you go (BTW if you would have a Mac, you can get it on the appStore too, I guess?)

We ported it to Android and lost over $10K. Porting takes a lot of time and money. I wish it was a push of a button. Scurvy is a great game and a lot of fun, but there are 100s of games like it, and they do a much better job of IAP. It’s not something Clayton and I were willing to do (and sleep at night).

It’s unlikely to do well on any other platform. I did port it to PC, but that was mostly to get my libraries in order pre-thimbleweed. Even with that port, getting it far enough along to release on Steam would be more time/money than it would make.

3 Likes

Me neither.

The Android port exists/existed already. That’s why we are interested in buying that (existing) port. BigRedButton was referring to this port. So it was counterproductive to suggest him to buy the iOS version. :slight_smile: As this is a common reaction from Apple fans I got a little bit sarcastic - sorry for that, but I couldn’t resist. :slight_smile:

No, different architectures: A Mac isn’t able to execute iOS programs and vice versa (yet).

What’s the biggest problem? Network and/or controller code?

Biggest issues was not having the particle system working in OpenGL2 (we didn’t use it in TWP), the other issue was Scurvy used TTFs (we didn’t in TWP), so I’d have to get that working. Again, none of this is rocket science, but I’d rather spend my time on a new game.

2 Likes

No, I don’t. As Someone wrote, I was referring to the Android port. Of course I can buy an Apple device, but I would not do this for only one game. Apple doesn’t need my money - unlike the creators of Scurvy Scallywags, who are “deep in the hole” with this project. If I decide to spend such a big amount of money on a game, I will rather do this by backing it or by buying it at a usual price and donating the rest to the developer, for example, instead of purchasing an Apple device.

Not an Apple fan myself. I got mine for free from someone who upgraded, so… ok, I was “lucky”.
I’m more of the “why spend more than $50 on a phone- no matter how smart it claims to be?” philosophy. And also “so you only require a proprietary cable just so you can ask a ridiculous selling price for it?!”

Sorry I couldn’t help @BigRedButton, then. But did I mention the game is free on the appstore? That’s why I suggested to “get” as in ask a friend or relative, neighbour, whatever, to borrow his i-thingy to play it.
Reminds me I upgraded 8 years ago to a new PC just to be able to play MI:SE (required 64bit arch). Still using that one today though.

Oh boy! So they’re not even self-compatible? :roll_eyes:

Never mind. Thank you anyway for your suggestion! :wink:

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I played Scurvy a lot and I also bought some IAP and I didn’t regret it. On the contrary it was one of the games on my iPhones that I liked very much.

Also, I bought The Cave for the PS3 when it came out, and I loved it. I played through it several times, and now I want to play it again. Too bad that you only got a paycheck for it.

Reading this thread, I saw that you pointed this out repeatedly. I commend you for standing by your principles and I thank you for taking the road less travelled. I also sincerely appreciate you not learning the wrong lesson from that experience when designing your subsequent projects. The most admirable part is that you already were conscious of the risks you were taking, and followed through.

I hope that more than thanks and admiration, your stance provides a more tangible remuneration in your next projects. Good luck. :slight_smile:

-dZ.

1 Like

I’m wondering if this is a better place to continue my commentary on The Cave. I don’t want to annoy anyone trying to read/post about other games they’ve bought in the other thread.

Anyway, I’m still stuck on the Time Traveller level and starting to think it’s down to the bug Nor mentioned.

I’m trying to move a rock so that oil will fill a hole. But when I go to the next time period chronologically, it’s still in the same place. Whichever way I push it, it reverts back.

Thoughts? Is it bug related or am I just thick as a plank?

I believe whatever it is that the oil does is supposed to do that in the past already not in the future. So when you´ve done what you´re supposed to do with the oil you should see the results in the future. What does oil do over a very long period of time?

Sorry that´s the best of my memory, might be completly off…