Be honest: did you use a walkthrough (or any "external help")?

Although that is very true, the game knows the state of every puzzle that is required in order to advance and progress the story. Therefore, it should be able to tell which puzzles you are currently stuck on and give you a hint, or at the very least remind you that that is the part of that you must complete now.

This is especially true in places where the user is stuck in a single puzzle which happens to be the bottleneck for everything else to proceed. This happened to me twice while playing the game.

In such moments any hint or guidance towards the goal may help.

It doesn’t have to be perfect 100% of the time. It just has to cause no problems in the normal case, and provide some help in the exceptional one.

I agree in this case, but is the system also applicable when the player has multiple concurrent puzzles to solve, like it’s usual in Thimbleweed Park? How can the game understand which puzzle is giving troubles to the player?

Well, here’s the thing: as long as there are multiple concurrent puzzles to solve, the player can switch to a different task. Most of the rather grave “stuck” situations occur when the player has exhausted all other puzzles that could be completed at a given time and everything else is hinging on this one critical step he has not taken.

Even if that bottleneck is composed of more than one puzzle, it will probably be no more than a handful; and the game is still in a position to offer guidance.

In my opinion, covering that case takes care of the worst problems.

I realize now that this statement is not true. I did need to look up a video guide for one puzzle.

And now that I think about it, anyone who claims they didn’t do the same (or rely on equivalent external information) is almost certainly a liar. :wink:

1 Like

can’t we assume that the player is stuck in all of them? (Otherwise, why would he ask for help)

(This is also why I read walkthroughs from the start. The first thing I haven’t done is very likely to unblock me, even if it is in a place different from the place where I believe I must act.)