Have you ever played a text adventure game? Would you play it?

Thanks for the pointer! I will try it today. And today, it’s also the day Thamistry is released. Too bad I’ve so little time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope so. I am concerned it might be again delayed.

I stil haven’t received an email. And I don’t have a username for the “backers” section, as I am a late backer.

But it’s still morning in USA.

1 Like

It’s out :).

1 Like

Excellent - thanks! Downloading now. Did you get a notice, or have you just been clicking on the links on the backer page?

I’ve been clicking in the home page like a zombie.

Since I had not been sent a password, I had to use the “forgotten password” button. then I got the email with the password.

1 Like

…and it’s great! The puzzles are awesome (well, the puzzle. I just got the key). The writing too. funny, interesting. The game is self-teaching. And there is a graphical map. Cutting edge technology!

1 Like

Agreed! I am enjoying it also.

1 Like

I am stuck at 60/100. the puzzles are great, all fair. Not too difficult (so far), but difficult. Very gradual though. The jokes are also great. How’s it going for you? :slight_smile:

after 60 percent, the game becomes very difficult. you need to literally read every word , and focus on slight hints in those words. never unfair though.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. I finished the game yesterday,but twice I resorted to the built in help system for a slight nudge.

I really enjoyed the game.

1 Like

yes, excellent. I was expecting more story, but it was mainly puzzles and funny dialogues. The gameplay was very balanced. Normally IF does not have this quality.

I can’t make up my mind if not highlighting the words the game understands is a good idea.

I was actually very pleased with the story. Yes, it’s true - it was short, but it had significant depth - which allowed the game to be an enjoyable length. You could learn backstory for most of the characters (and had to for some of the puzzles), and rarely was there something you could not examine that didn’t have an interesting description.

I think this game would make a great “first time” text adventure for those less familiar with the genre - don’t you agree? The parser is very intelligent, and there are many cues added to help those less familiar with the interface at first. I love the addition of the “recap” or “think” commands, to remind you of where you are in the story, what you have to do. And the graphical map you can open is also nice for those less comfortable with maintaining a map in memory (or on their own paper).

1 Like

I agree, it’s the best for beginners.

For comparison, I am playing sherlock holmes and timequest (two games by Bob Bates) but I can’t seem to do anything. (stuck wandering around London in sherlock, stuck in rome 44 in timequest trying to win the chariot contest. I don’t know if I am supposed to do that, or to travel.).

Eric the Unready, OTOH, was not so difficult. I want to replay it, it was one of the best games I ever played.

Do you have (read) the feelies? The game gives you some clues what you could/should do next. Like in an Agatha Christie novel. :slight_smile: (And AFAIR there is a build in help system.)

1 Like

@LowLevel Have you played Eric the Unready? Puzzles, story, humour, and good graphics. It has everything.

No, I haven’t. Is it a kind of game in which the player can die or reach unwinnable situations?

you can’t reach unwinnable situations. You can die a couple of times in a funny way.

Since you appreciate humour, the humour is top quality, second to none.
Also the puzzles are monkey island level. I’m replaying it and I am impressed.

How long does it take to finish the game? I’m currently in the mood for shorter games.

it does not matter much because it’s structured in separate “parts” (like monkey1). Each part is smaller than m1 part1. all the parts follow the same story (like monkey1) but they are independent. there are about 10 parts, I don’t remember exactly.

But is each part an autoconclusive story, like in “The Darkside Detective”?