(POLL) Which LucasFilm graphic adventure do you think has the highest level of difficulty?

• Maniac Mansion
  • Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  • Loom
  • The Secret of Monkey Island
  • The Secret of Monkey Island: LeChuk´s Revenge
  • Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis
  • Day of The Tentacle
  • Sam & Max Hit The Road
  • Full Throttle
  • The Dig
  • The Curse of Monkey Island
  • Grim Fandango
  • Escape from Monkey Island

0 voters

2 Likes

Nice poll!

I have not already played Zak and I’m curious to see how difficult it is compared to The Dig.

The Dig makes all the other Lucas adventure games that I have played look like a toy for kindergarten kids.

1 Like

Really? The only thing I seem to remember that annoyed me a bit was that turtle skeleton puzzle.

I’ve voted for Maniac Mansion just because of the dead ends: The player don’t know that he can’t solve the game anymore and that makes the game very difficult to solve.

If I look only at the puzzles then Monkey Island 2 in hard mode and Day of the Tentacle were/are very difficult.

I would agree: The Dig was very easy to solve.

1 Like

Yes.

But my difficulty-meter might be heavily influenced by the fact that I have never (seriously) played “Zak” or the prequel of “Day of The Tentacle”.

They might be even more difficult, but it’s not easy to tell because even if I will not find Zak ultra-difficult now, I have to take in mind that I played The Dig when I was younger and less adventure-savvy.

To me they were both easier than The Dig.

Seeing one of the greatest games of all time reduced to that makes my cold black heart bleed a little. :cry:

3 Likes

It would be interesting to discuss why an adventure game is difficult.

A former Sierra employer has admitted that some Sierra games were made intentionally obtuse and illogical to sell more hint books.

You put there dead ends, a lot of sudden deaths, random puzzles, other artificial ways to increase the difficulty and the game becomes, technically, more difficult. But at what price?

It seems to me that many people who don’t know adventure games very well still think that PnC adventure games are illogical. Do PnC adventure games have a bad reputation?

Finally in 1989 a smart guy wrote This and things changed a bit, but you still can experience the aftermath of the “old way” to design games.

Really? I found it the easiest. Not challenging at all. OTOH I would never have finished Monkey 2 or even Monkey 1 without trying everything on everything. (Not to talk about Zak)

Yes, that’s an interesting topic. But before I answer, you might want to create a new topic for this? :wink:

OK, I’ll create the topic “Do PnC adventure games have a bad reputation?”.

1 Like

To which I will reply: “Yes, because they train our children to become cleptomaniacs”.

1 Like

On the other hand we have the easiest: LOOM.
At least in this one we will ALL agree :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I’m surprised to see The Dig at the top of the list. I think Zak is A-LOT more difficult.

The only explanation I can think (as to why someone can find The Dig harder than others) is that, in the Dig, since you deal with alien technology, most puzzles do not involve “common knowledge” about the world, but on the contrary the “rules of the game” are given in the game itself. Maybe some people are good at reasoning from common knowledge, less good at applying rules just learned.

(BTW, I only like puzzles that involve common world knowledge, so the dig was my least favorite, though I liked the setting and story a lot)

1 Like

The Dig had only very few objects and a simplified interface. Even if you got stuck, you just can try to combine everything with everything.

yes, this is one reason why I found it easy. I was trying to imagine why someone could find it difficult. (otoh I don’t remember all the puzzles)

It seems that the list is led by the first three games made by the company. I wonder if it is due to lack of experience and as a consequence a bad design.

Or the inexperience and young age of the players…

@Nor_Treblig I’m not sure about this, because playing this games TODAY, with more experience ( and mor age ), this games keep going too difficult ( at least more difficult than the other of the list )

Really? Weren’t all puzzles in The Dig basically “Put rod in hole”?

2 Likes