Questions about "let's play"

Well, a lot of fighting is also about tactical dexterity (meaning a very low level of mechanical skill is needed to actually play those games if you are tactically sound) and quick thinking and problem solving under pressure… Zelda bosses are often like that though TBH they’re too forgiving. Many boss battles are like that in games, for sure. I also loved Tekken back in the day because it’s so tactical. Battles of tactics and wits have often pulled me in. Nothing beats a good puzzle for me, however (especially in tandem with a great plot). Sometimes you get a combination of a game that is brutal on puzzles, memory, exploration and PUNISHING combat, such as La-Mulana (Metroidvania game). Avoid that game at all costs, it won’t suit you. :wink:

The handheld and 2D Zelda games are much lighter on the tactical aspect of combat as compared to the 3D console Zelda titles. They’re definitely among the best games I’ve ever played alongside various PnC adventures and the Uncharted series.

PS, pun in bold not intended.

1 Like

And do they really get it?

They will claim it, or take the video it down.

1 Like

They can make copyright strikes temporarily blocking the revenue from all the other videos of the channel owner(even those that violate nothing at all), severely hurting their income.

I bought the game, finished it in 3 days and then watched the complete Let’s Play at Gronkh’s Youtube-Channel again, because I wanted to see his reactions on every single detail. He’s a big supporter of indie games and many small developers are truly grateful, because their sales did explode after his Live-LPs at Twitch.

If the whole LetsPlay thing would be a disadvantage for the game companies, they wouldn’t make such a big spending in making large events (including travel costs, hotel, giveaways) for the Let’s Players.

Same here only with Simon from Rocketbeans TV (who sung nothing but the highest praises for the game, also loved the ending).

I like watching how someone else treats the same situations in a different way and have a different perspective on puzzles, jokes and such. If the game looks interesting I stop buy it and watch the rest later not to get spoilt. That way I discovered the Cat Lady!

2 Likes

It depends on the Lets Play whether or not its fair use; a lawyer did an AMA on reddit a month or two ago. It basically boils down to whether or not theres enough unique content to make it a derivative work. The videos where its basically just video of the game is the totally illegal. The ones where someone has their video on screen, narrates it, and interacts with the game is where it gets more in the legal realm. But not for use in sale, that’d need to not touch any of the IP at all. Thats my understanding based upon that lawyer’s AMA, anyway

That being said; I only ever even heard of Thimbleweed Park because of my favorite Lets Player played the game. He plays a lot of adventure games, and he loves Ron Gilbert. Watching him play is a whole new experience than playing it myself. After watching him play Thimbleweed Park, I bought it myself and played it myself, and here I am. I think Lets Players really do introduce games to people who would have otherwise not known about them. If he hadnt done that Lets Play, I would have never found this game.

2 Likes

Would that affect the channel World Of Longplays ? I quite like that one because that way I can see games I would never be able to look at because many of them are from long obsolete systems.

if that’s true, in theory the forgone sales could be offset by increased sales due to free publicity…

I don’t know that channel, but I am also just unsure in general. I am unfortunately a hair stylist, not a lawyer haha

3 Likes

Truer words have rarlely been uttered…I think I just laughed louder at that than humanly possible.:ransome:

1 Like

I am not a lawyer but… he did not buy the right to make a derivative work, so why should that change anything?

" Damn it, Jim, … "

I’m just going off of what the lawyer said. Buying the rights to an IP is basically asking permission. But derivative works, within fair use, don’t need permission. The legal term for it is “transformative”; if you transform the original in a way that makes it something new, its legal. In the case of Lets Players, if you go to the channel to watch Pewdiepie, not to watch whatever game he plays, thats Transformative. In a more clearly legal example, LHOOQ (google it to see what I mean) is completely legal despite being obviously derived from the Mona Lisa.

Again, I’m not a lawyer. I did go to art university though to be an animator, so I took several classes on how copywrite applies to singular pieces of artwork. My classes didnt delve into youtube works, so I can’t give definitive information on it. But the lawyer on reddit said its legal for the reason I stated, which I’m just parroting here. We won’t truly know until theres a lawsuit haha

2 Likes