Top 100 All-Time Adventure Games

Yes, it’s a very diverse list and every game there is at least a good game.

Oh but there are people who like it cheesy! I could also imagine some may have fallen in love with the main character :slight_smile:

Not me! :laughing:

For me it sounded that the list was/should be a “final/ultimate” one. :slight_smile:

Where should I start? :slight_smile: Just to name quick a few reasons:

• MI1 introduced several new elements, like the sword fighting. MI2 reused some of the elements like the “I-have-to-go-to-the-next-island” principle. Even the spitting contest wasn’t that unique.
  • I liked the puzzles in MI1 much more, they were more clever integrated with the story.
  • In MI2 you can see that the graphics are scaled down and that the resolution is obvious too low for all the details. In some screens there are parts with a “puree of pixels” on the screen. So I like the backgrounds in MI1 much more.
  • The story in MI1 is much better, more thrilling and more clever constructed as the one in MI2.
  • MI1 is much more funnier as MI2 (just think about the Grog, Stan and the cannibals!).
  • In MI1 we had brilliant witty new and unique characters like Stan or the Voodoo lady. (In part 2 they are - surprise - back.)

Note that this is my own opinion and it’s OK if you like MI2 more. :slight_smile: If you/one would like to discuss this further, we should start a new thread (or send me a PM). :slight_smile:

Exactly :slight_smile:

Monkey Island as a series introduced a lot of nice things, but I wouldn’t prefer some part just because it introduced something the first time.

But you listed a lot of other points like story, graphic style and puzzles so you clearly prefer MI1, which is fine :slight_smile:

The spitting contest is still a great puzzle!!!

It’s that diversity that makes me think that the list is less influenced by people being fan of games of a specific software house or developer or period of time but, again, it’s still the result of personal opinions. The only difference is that the kind of personal opinions you collect among fans of X will be probably skewed towards X or things somewhat connected to X.

You can see this phenomenon in AdventureGamers forum too: their active users waited for and discussed Thimbleweed Park just as any other adventure, they didn’t attribute to it a special value only because it was made by a specific developer. That’s why I think TWP will probably win the Aggie awards for 2017, but I’m not sure that it will win also the people choice award.

1 Like

I would contribute to a new thread about this topic, because my position on this matter is that I consider MI2 a better game, but I like MI1 more for “sentimental” reasons.

It might be interesting to me to understand how much my preference for MI1 is actually a consequence of nostalgia and how much I consider it a good game from a game design point of view. I’ve never asked myself this question.

I don’t do this either. :slight_smile: But if you reuse something, you shouldn’t just “copy”. A good example is Legend of Kyrandia: The three games are connected but the developers had tried to write a unique story for each game. In MI2 you have nearly the same story as in MI1: Get reputation as pirate (back), solve the puzzle from the Voodoo Lady, defeat LeChuck, get Elaine (back).

Of course. MI2 is a great game! (But MI1 is a little bit “greater” :wink: )

Maybe they should just remove the numbering. So it’s just a list of the X best adventure games.

Then open up a new thread. :slight_smile:

This is an interesting question in general: Do we think that the/some of the old LucasArts games are better just as a consequence of nostalgia? (Sounds like we need another new thread… :wink: )

I am perplexed by you needing to ask this question.

As suggested, I have replied in a new topic :slight_smile:

Next time better create one right away :slight_smile:

Sorry, my fault. I wrote a very long off topic. I fixed this moving it into a new thread.
https://forums.thimbleweedpark.com/t/is-mi1-better-then-mi2-only-for-nostalgic-reasons/1466

2 Likes

Not at all. They are better games. But it’s not LucasArts. Even within LucasArts, i value much less those that were not by Ron Gilbert. The only exception is Zak. In particular, I often find combining two objects boring, unless it’s designed by Gilbert.

And this is not by chance: he has rules like “if a puzzle does not inform you about the story or the characters, drop it”. Even what’s interesting can be defined by rules. (Fascinating)

I think it is mostly because of nostalgia. Case in point: I didn’t play many LucasFilms games when I was young, and I don’t have the same affinity to them as many of you do. Consequently, some of the games I would consider best are not from the LucasFilms canon.

Also, I played The Secret Of Monkey Island for the first time as an adult a couple of years ago, and although I really liked it and thought it was very well done, I hardly consider it my favorite. (Yeah, sacrilege, I know.)

You can say that this is purely my subjective opinion (and it is), but so is your comment. :wink:

dZ.

Thimbleweed Park comes for me very close being a perfect adventure game. I thought about it if it could replace my all-time favourite Zak McKracken but I came to the conclusion it’s not just nostalgia why it keeps my number one. For instance one thing I love about Zak is that you can fail and have to plan your next playthrough better.

1 Like

Well, I didn’t say it was just nostalgia, but mostly. :wink:

It is very possible that had you not played Zak when young, you would think differently and put it in more equal footing with Thimbleweed Park.

Of course, that’s completely something we can never know.

dZ.

Well, “mostly” is exaggerated.
But I also wonder e.g. if I had played the C64 version or the FM-Towns version first: Would I prefer those graphics?

Please allow me to answer for you: C64.

1 Like

Sorry, the master in looking back into the logs it’s you… I can’t recall: which version didi you play first? Which one is your favorite? I remember there was a declared fan of the FM-Towns version in here, was that you?

I played EGA first and I love its graphics. It’s crazy what they’ve managed to do with this strange EGA colour palette and how they added lighting. e.g.:

No, that wasn’t me. I don’t like that they’ve changed the kazoo tune and I just like EGA graphics best. But who knows, if I had played the first version (C64 graphics) before EGA it may have been different.

The first version that I had played (of Zak McKracken And The Alien Mindbenders) was on C64.
But my preference is for the EGA version, it’s more beautiful with less colours compared to the FM-towns version.