Your favorite adventure game soundtracks

1. The Secret of Monkey Island
  2. Grim Fandango

For instanceā€¦ level 5, where you had to fire rocks and flood tunnels in a perfect timingā€¦
I didnā€™t play the anniversary edition, but Iā€™m curious now, to see how they lowered the difficultyā€¦

It was really outstanding. The game and its story too.

I checked Steam, and in the game description there is this sentence:

• 3 difficulty modes: Normal (easier than original game), Difficult (Equal to original game) and Hardcore (more difficult than original game)

ā€¦is even possible to play that game more difficult than original?! I donā€™t believe so! :grinning:

@LowLevel, what do you think of the game Gray Matter itself? Iā€™ve seen you bring it up a couple of time in reference ot the soundtrack. Thanks for the pointer to the soundtrack, by the way - itā€™s excellent!

I think the difficulty settings affect mostly the number of checkpoints. To me it didnĀ“t feel any more or less hard than the original (and I played on easy) that I played back in the 90s. I think on extra hard they shoot more of those big powerbolts that destroy your shield. The biggest advantage of the steam version is that you donĀ“t have to write down passwords but can restart on any checkpoint you like.

1 Like

Remember the Rusty Anchor? Crazy to think that this is actually an Easter egg!

2 Likes

I have the fondest memories of the beatnik club. One part because it taught me something about that particular culture and also because I really loved the joke that was in the between-the-teeth hissing sound the audience made becauseā€¦well skeletons donĀ“t have lips.

I think itā€™s a beautiful, beautiful game. The characters have depth, especially the main protagonist, and this characteristic has greatly helped me to love the game despite its ending, which in my opinion is a bit cheesy. In any case, I think that the main plot and the background story of the two protagonists create an atmosphere that is well worth experiencing. I hope Iā€™ll find the time to further discuss this game in the future, I would like to write a mini-review about it.

2 Likes

Great soundtracks that I havenā€™t seen being mentioned yet:
Little Big Adventure
Alone in the dark 2
The legend of Kyrandia

I liked some tunes from Darkseed on Amiga a lot. The intro is cool, 80ā€™s Carpenter kinda track. The track that plays in the house is very limited and perhaps annoying after some time but it fits the game mood very well. It was like going crazy with the character. I didnā€™t like PC version at all though, I hate midi. Iā€™d rather have C-64 music than PC midi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aEvD0nomhc

2 Likes

Man, the Dig soundtrack is phenomenal.

I work in post production on movies, and when I was still a post production assistant I once made one of our music editors a mix of obscure film music that I figured there was a slight chance would at least be new to himā€“and the one video game song I snuck in was ā€œMission to the Asteroidā€ from the Dig commercial soundtrack.

Just an amazing piece of music.

4 Likes

That is amazing! Vangelis couldnā€™t have done it better himself. I Suddenly feel an urge to locate the whole soundtrack, having never played the original game (shame on me).

1 Like

Well, Jan Hammer (ā€œMiami Viceā€) did the soundtrack to ā€œPolice Quest IIIā€ (I hope, I got the right video):

3 Likes

Oh, wow you can really kind of tell!

The music in the prosthesis shop was very coolā€¦ but my favourite tune in that game was the music in the lawyerā€™s office. dope harpsichord!
They botched the intro music though. Outright mutilated the opening from curseā€¦

This one? Yes itā€™s nice!

I have a weakness for ā€œnoir gamesā€, both because they are set in a period that I love and because they have become associated with a specific kind of jazz music, sometimes called ā€œJazznoirā€.

The jazz soundtrack of the adventure game Face Noir deserves a citation. Here is a track:

Oh I liked that game! I still have it lying around here. Ever since I played the Westwood Blade Runner game I wondered ā€œnow where is that hardboiled detective game in the classic 1940s setting?ā€ This was it.

It was OK for me, because I like that kind of setting but I didnā€™t like the script very much and my brain had serious problems at accepting the voice acting.

The protagonist was intended to be of Italian origins but his voice actor clearly had no clue about how to speak Italian words.