Do you play PnC adventures on a tablet? Can you suggest some?

Some games allow the player to keep his/her/it finger on the display. With this technique you would be faster with the finger. :slight_smile:

Those which are made for tablet, yes. Not sure ScummVM considers this on Android ports. :thinking: Though it would make sense.

I think that it would work perfectly on a tablet, but not very well on a small smartphone screen.

1 Like

You don’t need earbuds, just turn the volume way up! You’re welcome.

But please use Bluetooth speakers. (I wonder what happened to the boomboxes from the 80s… sissy youth…)

I haven’t tried it yet on the phone but according to several critics you can’t play Machinarium proper on a small smartphone screen.

They were turned off by rogue Vulcans.

2 Likes

3 Likes

The only PnC game I didn’t play on a computer or console was Hector: Badge of Carnage. I played with with my wife on her iPhone a handful of years ago.
It contains some adult language/humor so you may not want to play with your little kids.
I definitely recommend it.

i tend to do a reasonable amount of long haul travel for work, so my ipad + adventure games has been a god send.

ugh i had links with all these but apparently new users can only post 2 at a time…

here are a few i’ve enjoyed over recent months:

• The Adventures of Bertram Fiddle
  • Kathy Rain
  • The Last Door
  • HM Spiffing
  • Agent A
  • Gemini Rue
  • The Blackwell series

i love detective stuff, and i thought these were good:

• Layton Brothers Mystery Room
  • The Detail
  • Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders
  • Contradiction
2 Likes

I played (or replayed) quite a lot of games on a tablet (Kindle) with ScummVM a while back… I remember that the default control thing is not great, but there is a way to change it by changing some odd setting and then it’s great.

I stuck to ones where you couldn’t die (or at least not easily) and they all played great on a tablet. I imagine playing Sierra ones would be pretty hectic though.

Ones I played on Kindle:
MI, MI2, MI3, The Dig, Sam and Max, Fate of Atlantis, DotT, Full Throttle…
Beneath a Steel Sky, Toonstruck, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2, Broken Sword…

I tried playing Indy 3, but the punching or something didn’t work…

The only recent games I’ve played on tablet are Broken Age and Machinarium, and I enjoyed both a lot…
I started Gemini Rue, but don’t know if I’ll go back to it…
I just got The Cave, so I’ll be trying that out…

Can’t you adjust the speed (in the game)?

I haven’t even tried to put the games on the tablet to even attempt them… would require a braver man than I.

1 Like

Should be generally possible for Sierra games. That’s the way I managed to survive GK1 zombie cave on PC back in the days. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, OK, I’ll use them as hints then.

I have a question about the way I’m playing the game.

When I play adventure games, my behavior is: 1) take all the objects that are not nailed down and 2) decide how to combine them. When I have all the objects in my inventory it’s easier for me to understand what combinations can progress the game. But after I find a new way to kill myself in your game, the game restarts and I have to collect all the objects again. After a few iterations on this, the first phase of the game (the “collecting” phase) feels a repetitive and a bit boring.

So, I’m asking: is there a way to avoid this repetitiveness? For example loading a previous state of the game where I already had a good amount of object?

Have you played the second chapter of the series, perhaps? I have played the first one but I’m not sure about the quality of the second game.

Was it fun?

Eheh no. You have to replay the game because you can kill yourself in different ways, depending on whether you use a certain object, or not. Some objects must be left where they are.

As Zak said, unfortunately no. There are some combinations that make other endings unsolvable.

I could have added a flag to save which “basic” objects (that is, as you said, everything that’s not nailed down) and make you start with it again (since there is no check in the game where you should NOT have an object in the inventory, that wouldn’t bring to dead ends)… but I thought about this only now, and it’s a bit too late :frowning:

However, there are not so many objects in the game, so it shouldn’t be too difficult just to remember where to find what you need instead of gathering everything from scratch again.

What I did was to add a flag to avoid already solved endings so that the game knows you’re not going to try something again and, if possible, moves the state of the game a bit further. Like the bowling ball, which begins on the floor if you already solved Strike! and another one bowling ball related death.

By the way, @seguso should scold you because you picked up everything without an in-game reason :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Guga, @ZakPhoenixMcKracken : thanks for the answers.

It’s an interesting game, different from a point and click adventure, because there is not a plot that gives the character a reason to do specific actions instead of others. I would describe it as “Guess what the developer had in mind”, which is a novel approach to puzzles for me. :slight_smile:

It reminds me of those “Alchemy” games in which you have to combine elements to see if the combination was one of those that the developers added to the list.

I’ll keep playing it to discover more ways to kill the guy.

1 Like

It was actually born as a quick test for my engine. I needed some quick goals, but I didn’t want to do another “escape the room” :stuck_out_tongue: I once jokingly said “let’s do a game where you just need to die”, and then it grew up to become an actual game.

1 Like

Now that I thought about it, you might like this one also (it came to my mind as I posted it in Forgotten 80s music)

Trve Metal Quest by SirReli Games

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile: