All You Can Eat: a short adventure game + comics mashup

DRM is fine, man! I don’t like to buy stuff that someone else can get for free :smile:

Great job with your game, it is funny and has very good gameplay!

1 Like

But it needs only one person with the skills. As soon as the game appears on torrents (and other places) everyone without the skills can download it. And chances are very high that your game is already available via torrents.

But of course it’s your decision and I understand your point of view. I for myself just won’t buy games with (online-)DRM - there are only very, very few exceptions (to be honest: “The Cave” was the only exception).

I don’t know if this meant ironically, but: No, it’s not. It’s annoying - especially for those players who bought the game. We discussed that here in the forum already.

1 Like

I think the main issue for indie developers (in my opinion) is not whether or not it’s gonna be available on torrents, but when. If it happens on the first day, the traffic is diverted somewhere else and it’s gonna impact the popularity and ‘trending’ status of your game on the stores.
In my opinion, the later it happens (in case of DRM - whenever someone skillful decides to tackle it), the better chances of ‘trending’ it had before. After about a week or so, it’s no longer important to maintain the ‘original boost’.
So right now (for our game) since it’s been some 10 days on Steam I think it’s been long enough to go on other stores so people can get it DRM-free.

1 Like

But isn’t it happening on the first day? Aren’t there groups who just “grab” each new game on steam, remove the copy protection and put it somewhere in the internet? I thought that these groups are constantly in the challenge “I am faster then you”?

I don’t think so, at least I still can’t find us on any torrent sites nor on G2A. It only happens if you’re sloppy. There are 30-50 new games on Steam every day and you can’t possibly grab them all for by paying for them, and getting them for free means you need to pretend to be some press guy and ask for a key and enter a lengthy conversation with the developers and pass their screening process and so on.

1 Like

That being said, we’ve put the game on itch for all to enjoy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Guys, am I the only one who thought "wow, if Ron Gilbert switched to this style, we could have a Gilbert adventure every 6 months, instead of every 2-3 years? (with the same quality of puzzles, dialogues, story, and length)?

2 Likes

That’s true. :slightly_smiling_face:
Though, the development process would be very different. It may turn out to be way more complicated. For TWP, they first created a wire-frame world in order to figure out how well a puzzle worked and which room screen was useful enough to be actually done as pixel-art. To my knowledge, a lot of elements in TWP were changed during the development process - even parts of the PDC. As long as a game hasn’t been released, you can make any changes you want. But, what would you do if a puzzle chain turned out to be a dead-end during further development? Well, it might not necessarily be an issue, because you can change all contents with every new upgrade. But, some well-polished room screens might have to be redone, and, what about existing savegames, for instance? Making major post-release changes would be very costly and probably inevitable in a dev process of this kind.

1 Like

Actually, the entire dev process for this game took us a couple of months (we’re a team of two - igor the artist and me the coder), I think it can be even shorter if we streamline it more, but we’re probably going to aim for more content for the next one, not for shorter cycles.

4 Likes

(we were talking about cracking groups)

Yes, there has always been a good amount of competition between these groups. But the prestige increases mainly when they release as soon as possible the cracked version of a game belonging to a very popular franchise or developer. Smaller or less known games have a lower priority.

Bought. Looks very interesting!