Animated Podcasts

Unmapped, irregularly packed, spritesheets are the bane of my existence right now. :slight_smile: Pulling the start position and size, and properly positioning layers on the background are very manual and time consuming tasks. Iā€™ve searched high and low and have not found a good program to do this automatically (thereā€™s one to do it more semi-manually, which I am starting to use, here). There are good programs to auto-extract sprites (which Iā€™ve been using), but I want to leave the sprites in the spritesheet and get get their coordinates and sizes - as this would make the code easier to manage. When it comes to text management, I certainly would prefer to use the existing font handling in the pygame tool, and not try to deal with characters as sprites! :slight_smile:

Thank you! :slight_smile: (I guess Discourse must advertise this somehow - itā€™s tomorrow).

Yes, I would do the same. :slight_smile: Printing text on the screen isnā€™t a trivial task. But the ā€œretro fontā€ should be a proportional font, so all characters should have the same width and height. This makes the layout a little bit easier. :slight_smile: Arenā€™t there any libraries that could help you?

But the use of a similar font should be OK (and I bet no one will notice the difference :wink: ).

Look beside your name - there is a cake. :wink:

Not for me. Are you in a time zone perhaps 9 hours ahead of me, and itā€™s December 2 where you are?

Iā€™m using the python pygame library which has a Font package thatā€™s pretty well featured.

(Unfortunately, it doesnā€™t have a full featured SpriteSheet package. Perhaps I will end up writing one for themā€¦)

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s 45 minutes after midnight in Germany. So I am able to celebrate your birthday, while you have to wait? :wink:

1 Like

I would first try one of the TTF fonts. :slight_smile:

Of courseā€¦ :slight_smile:
I meant for the spritesheets Iā€™m using for the speakers (Ron, Gary, David), and for the RadioStudio.

1 Like

Happy Birthday @besmaller!

I did not submit my birthdate to discourse (I think it was optional) so no one will ever knowā€¦

1 Like

Happy Unbirthday, then, @milanfahrnholz.
Today is my unbirthday too! What are the odds!
(:robot: : ā€œ99.45%ā€)

2 Likes

363 to 1 or 364 to 1 on leap years.

The moment after you quitted I was asking why.
But you decided to quit, thatā€™s OK.
Gffp has suddenly DELETED his Telegram account.
Thatā€™s the big difference.

At that time, we were mostly chatting.
I could understand you, we were doing absolutely nothing constructive.
Now, we are dubbing, we have roles to assign to, and so on.
Feel free to join us again anytime, we are awaiting for you with open arms

Happy birthday @besmaller!

Happy non-birthday, @milanfahrnholz!

1 Like

Happy birthday to @besmaller, happy unbirthday to everyone else, happy coming back to @Stefano (did you take a look at the Italian dub we produced last week?) and happy who knows what to @Gffp, whose sudden Telegram account deletion still makes me worry. We need our Ransome!

What? :open_mouth:

If you need a Ransome with a heavy German accentā€¦ :wink:

So far more people have gratulated me to my non birthday than they will ever for my actual birthday.

I hope you guys realise that you have to do that now everyday until march when it is my real birthday.

Oh damnitā€¦

1 Like

Well, we need a Boris with a heavy german accent.

OK, but you must warn you in which day of March to stop!

Then I suggest to ask the English voice of Boris who is actually German. :slight_smile: Boris hasnā€™t much to say, so maybe he is willing to dub the Italian version for free? (The German Broken Sword cast did that with/in the fan game Broken Sword 2.5.)

Demo 5. I used Podcast 6 for this one. Iā€™m especially interested in feedback on a few of the changes I have in this version, which include:

• a change to the caption font, to match the game font
  • spotlight which moves to follow speaker
  • random arm animations on the speaker

Other changes I expect will be less controversial are additional layers added to the RadioStudio, an animated ā€œon airā€ sign, and animated ā€œreels and lightsā€ on the machines in the back right of the recording room.

5 Likes