Animated Podcasts

Hmm… As long as I can find a font on my system (or install one) that seems to match, it should be fairly easy just to change the font I am rendering. I think I remember that TWP has two types of fonts, a “retro” font, and a more modern font. Which were you thinking of?

Yeah, that was kind of fun to add. I thought of it when I realized if I showed the whole room in a standard HD resolution, the speakers (meaning, Ron et al, not “acoustic speakers”, which are in a layer of the room I haven’t added yet ) were going to be too small, so I scaled the room to fill the vertical dimension, instead of the horizontal (and scaled the speaker sprites accordingly). Then I needed to focus on the right side of the room, but since the easiest way to do that is just to position the room with a negative offset, it was just easy to place the speakers relative to the room, and just move the whole room offset around, which made the initial panning quite easy to do. I tweaked the panning speed so the speakers start talking before the panning is finished as well, which I think was a small improvement.

Either would be fine I guess. It just the way it is now (looking almost exactly like the game but not quite), feels some sort of uncannyvalleyish. With text like in the game it would be perfect! :+1:

1 Like

Ah ha! I found a post in this forum which answers my next question…

2 Likes

“heavily modified in photoshop”, hmmm…

1 Like

:disappointed_relieved: Gffp is missing since Nov 21.
We lost contact with him.
He disappeared without notice. Suddenly.

1 Like

I’ll try an experiment so we can see how they look (unmodified).

1 Like

Only just over a week. Maybe just busy (or went on vacation!)- hopefully he’ll be joining the conversation again soon!

Nice. I don’t think I’ve ever watched that one - but it looks like great political satire. I’ll try to watch this weekend.

1 Like

I posted a picture of the classic mirror scene a while ago here. It´s a classic everyone should have seen. I envy you for being able to see it for the first time!

1 Like

Can’t you extract the fonts from the game data? AFAIK they are just bitmaps. Maybe @RonGilbert can help? If not: Use a C64 font. You can find them on the internet, for example here or here. They look like the “Retro” font in TWP.

Well, @RonGilbert hasn’t used Twitter for a week too (last vital sign was on Nov 25). Maybe there is something strange going on…? (All users of this forum will be hijacked by hat and glasses wearing aliens?)

I hope it is as you say.
Gffp was in the Telegram group dedicated to the Italian TWP dubbing.
He made his Ransome sentences just in time for the lookalike contest demo video, then his Telegram username has changed to “DELETED”.
In other words, he (or somebody else) has voluntary deleted his Telegram account.
We don’t know Gffp’s real name, we have no other contacts except the blog or this forum.
Even if he was kidnapped by some aliens (to think positive), why would he delete his account?
This story is starting to be creepy…

Again: he won the lottery and he cut all bridges with his past because he feared we wanted some of his fortune :smiley:

1 Like

My theory is that we got a new moderator because he wants to reduce his activity on the forum, too (which he already has).

No, I’m just on vacation in Wyoming.

6 Likes

Oh, I didn’t knew that the aliens have an outpost in Wyoming!

1 Like

Mind you I wouldn´t hold it against you when you need a break from us weirdos. Have a good one!

Sure, haven´t you seen cowboys an aliens?

1 Like

I disappeared from that forum too, and nobody cared LOL
I actually apologized for that - I just thought this forum was a more complete experience and migrated here.

Curious what happened to him, though.

Yes, I had already located both the C64 font and the Karma Suture font and have been trying them out. Karma Suture looks like it might be a good match unmodified, though I can probably guess why they modified it, it doesn’t scale up very well. If I pick just the right scale/color combinations I think it looks pretty good. I’ll send an updated demo out soon. If needed, I could maybe get an altered font file from Ron, but I don’t like to bug him for stuff until we’ve had a chance to explore the options better. Plus, what they have probably isn’t a standard TTF font file any longer, and it might be hard to use, as I’m not a font expert.

Then try the C64 font. I’ve used it in a project where the result was printed - and it scaled very good.

AFAIK the fonts are bitmaps. So you can use them similar to a spritesheet.But of course it should be easier to use a TTF font in Python. :slight_smile:

/edit: btw: Happy Birthday! :slight_smile:

1 Like