Favorite non-Lucas point-and-click adventure games

There are some of my favourites:
The Longest Journey
Broken Sword 1+2
Gemini Rue
Sanitarium
Samorost (the whole series)
Book of Unwritten Tales

There are enough good DRM-free games out there being able to occupy all the spare time for the rest of my (working) life.
Games with DRM can bite my shiny metal ass, I will never support such crap again.

1 Like

Yes, if we measure openness by the number of locations, than MI2 beats DoTT hands down.

But if we measure openness by the quantity of different tasks that the player can execute in parallel, my impression is that DoTT could have more. It seems to me that it gives the player more things to do, even if the characters have less places to go.

Well, TWP has a lot of hotel rooms. :stuck_out_tongue:

The final quantity of locations depends also on whether you consider each library book a location in which the player can do something useful.

2 Likes

Why are you doing this to yourself man. Why…

Did I miss something important?

I don’t know. I hope not.

Sometimes I do make exception though, e.g. I’ve bought and played The Cave.

1 Like

So it’s a strict policy with exceptions :slight_smile:

1 Like

The beauty of DoTT is how compact yet open it is at the same time. It’s an impeccably designed game.

1 Like

Well I have enjoyed really the Leather Goddesses of Phobos, back then, it was as silly as it was get, but it was text based. However LGOP2 was somewhat funny and being a proper graphic p&c adventure, too. 1992, wow.

I’m surprised nobody cited Flight of the Amazon Queen.

I loved it, it’s still my favorite non-Lucas AG. Quite simple in retrospect, but it was extremely fun.

2 Likes

I have that policy too.

I don’t see the need to be anoyed with DRMs while the people that pirate the games is not anoyed with that.

So the game could be the best game of the world but if it has DRM (and is not ported to Linux) I don’t buy it.

1 Like

I don’t cosider the next game an adventure game. But I saw on a post somewere in this forum that Ron is supposed to consider it an adventure game.

The Cave looks to me more like a poatformer mixed adventure game. And I was very surprised with the result, although I don’t like platformers I really enjoied that game and like the different sotries very much.

By the way, the ending of that games is preatty much like the one of TWP, youend up with only one object per character and the task to take that object to where it belongs.

I could never afford to buy a lot of games back then. I played MI1 and MI2, and Fate of Atlantis, which are all Lucas games.

The only other game I bought was Gabriel Knight 1, and I thought it was fantastic. It had a great story and some really interesting mechanics, especially with how the week progressed and made the story more disturbing. I’d love to play it again.

After that, I spent many years not playing any games because I couldn’t afford to keep my computer up to date, and certainly not buy any games.

1 Like

I would like to recommend the fantastic game “The Cat Lady”.

The game is a (I think) polish Indie Adventure Game that was released in 2012. The interaction is limited but you can still pick up and use stuff and there is a lot of puzzles to figure out. And your decisions in the dialogues have an impact on game´s story.
It´s very heavy on story but, oh what a story!
The mood and the art the design are amazing. The voice acting is phenomenally good.
Everything about it really sucks you into the story.

One word of warning though, the game is dark and disturbing as hell and highly depressing but that makes the payoff in the end only better.

Highly recommended one of the most transforming experiences in my gaming life, you´re in for a trip!

https://www.gog.com/game/the_cat_lady

And if you´re not already interested, yet here is a bit of triva: One house in the game accurately recreates the first floor of Maniac Mansion: Entrance hallway, kitchen, dining room, pantry, library it´s all there:

3 Likes

I remember Ron being surprised when he was told about this game :slight_smile:
Also: https://www.gog.com/game/the_cat_lady

Shadow of the comet
Beneath a steel sky
Dragonsphere

1 Like

Added that too, thanks! Unfortunatly no Mac version, though.

I think I’ve heard it worked using Wine

1 Like

My favorite non-Lucas point-and-click adventure games is TWP, of course. :wink:
Especially, I like the puzzle design. The puzzles are balanced very well!

If the original Leisure Suit Larry was a point-and-click game, I would have mentioned it, too.

5 Likes