Favorite non-Lucas point-and-click adventure games

The games that left the most long lasting positive impression on me (it has been so many years, I don’t think these games held up anyway). Note that these are mainly SIerra games. I played others, but these are the ones that I played and replayed (other than Lucas games):

• King’s Quest 2
    It was the first non text-only adventure game that I played, and hooked me on graphic adventures. I played adventure games before that, but this was something different.
  • The Black Cauldron
    I don’t remember much of the game, other than the foreboding feeling I had going through it.
  • Space Quest I
    Tried to play it again recently, couldn’t go through it (was too painful to watch). In those days it was fun and funny.
  • Starship Titanic
    Was fun!
  • Goldrush!
    Was mentioned earlier here by someone else. It felt like going on a real adventure.

Text only:

• The Hobbit
    Probably not the best I played, but the most memorable one. Never got through the barrels in the river, but I did find the ring.

Notable mentions:

• King’s Quest 3
    Loved the change of pace. A more concise tight story
  • King’s Quest 4
    The first one that I remember that had a female point of view. A step up in graphics, new game engine. That’s when Sierra were at the top of their game (imho).
2 Likes

Has anyone played Obduction? If so is it good? I’ve had it on my wishlist for a while and tempted to pick it up in the Steam sale.

Just bought The Cave for about 3 quid too.

If you like Myst-like games: Yes, definitely.
Disclaimer: I’m a backer and may be biased :slight_smile:

Anyone try any of these? They all look pretty interesting and happen to be on sale.

Obduction starts off really well but the final puzzles are a huge slog and very tedious. I’d still recommend it though because the beginning is so strong.

I’ve not played Myst either, but heard it’s similar. Haha, thanks for the transparency :wink:

Okay thanks, noted. I think I’ll give it a go :slightly_smiling_face:

One thing Obduction does is trying to compete with TWP regarding available options :slight_smile:
For example you can switch between node-based navigation (Myst&Co-like) or free roaming mode plus other stuff, quite impressive for an adventure game.

Wow, that is pretty impressive. I like the shadow options too, heheh. Lots of customisable variables in that manual. It bodes well that they’ve put that much thought into it.

Not a point and click game but nevertheless a very fun addicting puzzle game.

Chips Challenge was originally released for the Atari Lynx handheld in 1989 later to be ported to other systems like the C64 (where I played it) which by far had the best music:

A port of the original version can be played for free on gamejolt:

http://gamejolt.com/games/chip-s-challenge/2189

Or for very little money on steam:

Those version slightly differ in order of levels from the C64 I used to play, I also still prefer the graphics of that version and of course the music is beyond questioning!

Dear guys,

thanks for all your suggestion! I’ve been away from adventure games world for a lot of time, but having played TWP made me willing to play other adventures.

Following your suggestions, I played “The silent age”.

I found it VERY beautiful. Mostly because of the plot and the trick of the time traves, and in spite of its naive contruction, naive puzzles, ease (you never have more than 1 o 2 objects in your inventory) and its minimalist graphics (but it’s matter of personal taste.

Thenn I’ll try to play “the cat lady”.

I noticed something… both these titles has what seem to me quite obvious LucasFilm Games references: in The Silent Age you have to cope with a chainsaw which is out of gas and you also have to electrocute a poor fish like Zak did…

And about “The cat lady”… well, I haven’t played it yet, but… take a look at this pic found on the Steam page:

Doesn’t it remind of somewhere?

1 Like

Quoting myself from earlier:

My giant recommendation still stands, it´s an amazing game. It´s just a shame that Ron won´t be able to check it out because it´s on PC only (which as far as I remember was solely for budgedary reasons), so he´ll have to take my word for it, it´s a truly transforming experience!

Sorry, I missed that! :blush: I scrolled rapidly the thread, noticed your recommendation but missed the line with the reference to the mansion.

No probs, just prepare yourself to be stalked by an evil maniac nurse that´s even scarier than Edna ever was (because she iterally “takes no prisoners”)!

I don’t find it unbecoming to have a small Windows partition on your Mac… sometimes it’s very useful :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t know if it works on Wine but I don’t think it has high system requirements. He could try playing it on his Windows build server VM (after waiting all updates being installed :slight_smile:)

Oh, I´ve only seen the beginning of this thread but missed that later part. Do we know now why Boris deleted his Twitter account?

I’m sure he didn’t delete it because of Ron’s posts, but I still don’t know more than what you have seen in this Twitter conversation.

Well then, did you hate it as much as I did?

I confess I had been keeping that game on hold for a while while I played other games. It seemed like it had potential from the short time I spent on it. I read your review, and despite that, I think I’ll return to it. I hadn’t gotten to that point in the game yet, so I’ll have to see what my experience is like. Some games have a poorly designed part which might be something you can overlook in the end if there are many more positives, but I don’t know if this will fit that category.

Because of the Lovecraft influence, playing it reminded me a little of The Last Door at first, thought that has a much higher production quality. Have you tried that one?

1 Like

Yeah you know, I´d probably consider it one of those cases. Had I even gotten past that part that is, but who knows maybe it´s not that hard for you as it is for me. Quicktime even AND pixelhunting at the same time was a new level of frustration for me.

Never heard of it, will check into it. Thanks!

1 Like