Favorite non-Lucas point-and-click adventure games

I stopped bothering about “Chronicle of Innsmouth” when I read in a review “main character is clearly a reskinned Guybrush Threepwood”. :smiley:

But “The Last Door” is beautiful, at least from a graphics point of view. I was tempted to add it to my wishlist but horror based games are not exactly my cup of tea and I play them only if I really like the story or the environment.

@besmaller Is the story of “The Last Door” good?

1 Like

Two parts of the game I actually liked a lot:

One has to do with humor the other with puzzle design.

1. When you open up to the guy on the train station at the beginning that you´re also a model train enthuasist, they all of a sudden perform some sort of secret handshake, I actually laughed out loud at that one.

2. I thought that the tiara puzzle was a lot of fun to figure out.

1 Like

Yes, the story is very well done, but if you don’t like Lovecraft and/or Poe type suspense and horror, you probably would not like it.

2 Likes

I like Poe very much but I’m less familiar with Lovecraft, of whom I read just one book.

What I like less is the presence of cheap tactics sometimes used in horror games to scare the players, like jump scares. I consider them low-quality tricks.

Masterpieces like “The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar” didn’t need any jump scare to terrify me when I was a teenager.

I might be wrong, but I get the impression that jumpscares are mainly prelevant in first person horror games. At least that´s where they´re used to most annoying effect.

Well, I can’t say there are no effects like this, but I think they are used minimally, with suspense being the primary strategy. There is the ‘Prototype’ episode they created when they first put their Kickstarter together on their web page, which you can play free online, to see if you like the style. That’s how I got hooked. I then got all the episodes, and the soundtrack - which is amazing by the way. I think the full package is available on the latest Steam sale pretty cheap:

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/275/The_Last_Door_Collectors_Edition_Bundle/

1 Like

I got season 1 and 2 on sale. Thanks for the pointer!

1 Like

For me, my favorite non-Lucas point-and-click adventure game would be a tossup between Quest For Glory I (originally Hero’s Quest), and Quest For Glory IV. Space Quest V would be in third place.

1 Like

and… it was a bit of a letdown. Chronicles of Innsmouth has a whole different depth. (apart from the graphics, it is close to Indy3 quality imho)

I enjoyed it for it’s story and use of suspense. It’s not as much of a puzzle based game, so some might not like it as much.

I found Kathy Rain to be pretty creepy and atmospheric without it using any cheap thrills.

4 Likes

Thanks, I was not aware that there was a “demo” and I have played the “Prototype”, now.

It seems a very well crafted adventure game, I love both the graphics and the wise usage of sounds to create the scary atmosphere. I think it’s not my cup of tea, though, because I can foresee some scene that might give me an heart attack, especially if they use jump scares. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have already purchased it, can’t wait to play it! It’s clearly inspired by Gabriel Knight, which is a good thing from my perspective.

1 Like

Yes, there were 2 or 3 moments in the game that definately got my heart pumping. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The longest journey was pretty good.
Runaway
Heroines Quest and A Tale of Two Kingdoms, HQ would be the best free adventure I have played
Quest for Glory 1 and 2
King’s Quest 3
Leisure suit larry 2 and 3
The first chapter of the new kings quest was prettty good
The Walking Dead season 1 (though I don’t technically consider it an adventure)
That Night Before - was a great quirky free game

It’s very good. I enjoyed Downfall more though from the same author. I played the original version of Downfall which I think is free now. If you haven’t already you should check Harvester (I think the Polish developer took his name from this game). Harvester is even more disturbing and certainly more weird than The Cat Lady.

Will check both those, thanks! I loved the Cat Lady because it reminded me of some weird french animated short films I used to watch as a kid.

Edit: Looks like Harvester is blacklisted in germany, so I won´t be able to get that one. But I´ll check out Downfall (looks exactly like The Cat Lady!) anyways, it´s really cheap right now.

I was tempted to download Heroine’s Quest but it’s my understanding that it’s a hybrid between an RPG and a PnC adventure game, right?

On the contrary, “A Tale of Two Kingdoms” is a more classic PnC adventure?

HQ is a hybrid, similar game play to the QFG series. But it has a strong story and I would view it as more PNC than RPG. I would highly recommend it, one of my favourite games, the fact that it is free is mind blowing.

Correct ATOTK is a straight out point and click.

That night before is the other free adventure that I mentioned that I don’t think ever got the plaudits it desereved, fun little game (Don’t confuse with the night before, different game)

Like this?

I thought it was french, but I think it’s belgian