Games like the Cave

I loved TWP and I can’t wait to play the team’s next game, but I also loved Ron’s previous game, the Cave. I seem to be in the minority, but I thought this forum would be a good place to reach some people who like it too.
I know that it was kind of a unique game, but I’d like to know if there are any other games that come close. I liked the platforming style with adventure-puzzle-logic.
Can anyone recommend any games to someone who loved the Cave?

The first three that come to my mind are:

There is also a list of Puzzle-Platformer games on Steam that you might find interesting.

3 Likes

What about DeathSpank, also by Mr. Gilbert?

1 Like

I loved the Cave! It would have been nice if the guy who voiced the Cave could have come back for Thimbleweed Park. Also The Cave would be a nice game for a mobile device…no I´m not talking about a phone more one of those old timey things with buttons like a Sega Game Gear!:slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, I’m also a big fan of The Cave and finished it several times. It was (is) lovely!
But I don’t know if there are others like it out there.

Steam recommends

• Life Goes On
  • Pid

Was Another World the first game of this genre?

(disclaimer, I didn’t play Another World, I was too much of a purist even then :))

Another World more or less borrowed it´s gameplay mechanics from Prince Of Persia. But it depends on what you mean by “this genre”.

Another World and The Cave are absolutly not alike.

2 Likes

Candle:
https://www.gog.com/game/candle

4 Likes

Trine 1 & 2 seem to be nice puzzle platformers as well, which are allegedly inspired by The Lost Vikings! They have very beautiful graphics, by the way! There is also a commentary voice, like in The Cave.
Trine 3 seems to have been a disappointment, though.

https://www.gog.com/game/trine_enchanted_edition

https://www.gog.com/game/trine_2_complete_story

2 Likes

I can confirm this. :slight_smile:

But Trine 1 and 2 are very good games. In contrast to The Cave you have to solve a puzzle at your current position and you need more dexterity to master the games. But BigRedButton is right: If you like The Cave, you should give Trine a try. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a little look at Trine on this basis, as I loved The Cave. It looks quite ‘fantasy’ genre, so not sure if it’ll be my thing. The Wikipedia entry makes it sound like Golden Axe!

I’ve just noticed Steam has a free demo, so I might try that first. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: argh, despite that all three are available for Mac OS, the first demo is Windows only.

you might be able to wine the demo?

Maybe – I’ll keep it in mind. I’ll probably play more accessible games first.

Yes, it is.

It’s a mixture of different genres. I would describe it as a “puzzle platformer” with the focus on puzzles.

See that makes it sound really appealing! Maybe I can (begrudgingly) try the demo on my hubby’s PC.

The Trine games are currently on sale at Steam!

PS: I bought Trine 1 on GOG today, where it’s currently on a sale! I’m curious. Tomorrow, I’ll be tryin’ Trine. :slight_smile:

Would “Night In The Woods” count as an platforming adventure game comparable to the Cave?

Yes indeed. And have we mentioned Oxenfree?

1 Like

If you read between the lines, I mention it in every single post I make:

2 Likes