Homemade Pasta made at home with hands and stuff ;)

Yes: Try the wine from small vintner - and especially not the cheap wines sold in supermarkets for the mass markets. (I think this rule applies for Italian wine too?)

My favorite is this small vintner’s cooperative in a small town called Groß-Umstadt - unfortunately they have only a German website:

Especially their “Riesling” (white wine) and the “Dornfelder” (red wine) are very good. But tastes are different and other wine cooperatives have good wine too. You can even book holiday tours through several wine areas including tastings. :slight_smile: And as a side effect you will visit the most beautiful areas in Germany. So if you like wine, you should do this in your next vacations. :wink:

Don’t let this hear a German. :wink: We have large(*) and famous wine-growing areas, especially in the Rhine and Mosel area:

(*) Well, they are smaller as in France or Italy, but not that small. :slight_smile:

Blasphemy!

2 Likes

Well… we are in the same timezone!
Guess what I ate tonight?
Yeah, pizza tonda!

Not all. For example Ron is now able to walk right to an Italian restaurant …

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll have to remember that. Now that you mention it, one of the best wines I ever tasted was a Riesling from Germany. I wrote down the info on the label but I think It may be the region and not the brand… Mosel-Saar-Ruwer?

Yes, it’s the region. I can’t find an English website at the moment, but you can see here a map with the location of this region (and where some of the wintners are located).

If you are interested in, I would search the brand and/or more information (but tomorrow and maybe via PM :slight_smile: ).

But what about Nor? :thinking:

He walks backwards out of an Italian restaurant…?

2 Likes

Thanks! Will try it.

I prefer Australian or Chilean wine for casual drinking (that made me sound like an alcoholic) but if I’m after a sweet wine I often go for German. I love gewürztraminer :drooling_face:

1 Like

Ok, ok… let me be the nitpicker I am as usual. First of all, I have to say this:

Gewürztraminer isn’t a German wine.

Well, not only. The shocking truth is that…

It is Italian.

Its name, in german, means “the spicy one from Tramin”.
Tramin is a nice little town in Südtirol, Italy. Yes, they speak german, there. Yes, maybe they don’t like it, but they are italians. :slight_smile:
Actually, that one was just for nitpicking… Traminer is a wine typical of german speaking regions of Italy, Germay, Austria and France (Alsace).

Second: Gewürztraminer isn’t a sweet wine.
You’re right, it’s wonderful. I love it. But it is considered a dry wine. It is very aromatic, and it has a lot of glicerine, which makes it very smooth, and gives a hint of sweetnes, but actually it isn’t sweet: it has no residual sugar, as compared to sweet wines.
The sugar in the grape turns into alcohol thanks to fermentation. If the winmaker stops the fermentation, his wine will have less alcohol and some residual sugar: a sweet wine.

If you like sweet wines, may I suggest you a GREAT sweet wine from Germany? Try an eiswein (icewine).
In this wine the conversion of sugar into alcohol is naturally blocked by the freezing cold…

but if you like wines which are aromatic AND sweet, I suggest this one:

It is Italian. It is sweet. it is spumante. it is moscato.
Well, but If you taste it, it doesn’t feel italian, nor a typical sweet wine, nor a spumante, nor a moscato.
It is a unique wine, it is stably considered one of the 100 best wines in the world, and it is very cheap.
I recommend it strongly, it’s a wonderful gem.

1 Like

I was about to argue that. I think I first had it in Alsace, but it’s the German variety I tend to like the most. I didn’t know all that about the history though - interesting.

I love Canadian ice wine :stuck_out_tongue:

:wink:

1 Like

Does anyone know the title of that movie? Reminds me of Guy Ritchie’s style.

It’s called Withnail & I , starring Richard E Grant. It’s hilarious, but I don’t recommend playing the drinking game with that…

1 Like

So, after reading @Ema’s long explanation about pizza types, I learn that we (Sardinians) have slightly different names than the rest of Italy. Which doesn’t surprise me, actually, but still.

So, in Sardinia we call “pizza” either a “romana” or a “napoletana”. Usually we expect the “romana”, as the Neapolitan style pizzerias are not that common and we tend to specify it when talking to someone else, like “I love Metropizza in Quartu, they make pizza Neapolitan style”.

However our “pizza al taglio” is slightly different. It’s still cut in rectangles, but it’s expected to be folded. You go to a pizzeria that ONLY does pizza al taglio, and they bake (in electric ovens) rectangular baking tins of dough + tomato + cheese, then cut them in squares. You go to the counter and ask for a pizzetta with whatever topping. They add the topping on the fly, then fold the square and hand it to you. The pizzetta is usually thin and crisp, and I’m not even sure it’s actual pizza dough, tastes more like some kind of focaccia, and it’s mostly a snack to go.

But a “pizzetta” is something else. With no other specifications, in Cagliari it’s a “pizzetta sfoglia”, a circular puff pastry snack with tomato and capers, found in every single bar of the province. They are unknown to the rest of the civilized world. In fact, most people of Cagliari aren’t even aware that such things don’t exist outside of the province (not even the whole Sardinia has them), and when they go “in the continent” (as we like to call mainland Italy) are surprised they can’t find their pizzette, and if you ask for a “pizzetta” you get what we call a “pizzetta Napoli”, that is, just a small round pizza with tomato and mozzarella.

2 Likes

Pictures or it didn’t happen. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Here is my newest creation. Homemade pasta with homemade carbonara sauce. Please tell me what is wrong with it. And let me tell you anyway how delicious it was. :wink:

3 Likes

Serious question: How do you made the carbonara sauce?

Non-serious question: And where is the Coca Cola?

2 Likes