Homemade Pasta made at home with hands and stuff ;)

Yes, here…

1 Like

Is this thread cooking again?

2 Likes

It´s a-boilin´!

To the Italian people here (because only they know the good stuff):

I want to buy CALABRIAN CHILE PASTE. Are there different brands? A google search indicated that. What is your favorite brand? And which one is the best?

1 Like

Hi Mario, I write the name in italian to know from connationals if I understood well. It should be salsa al peperoncino calabrese, I guess.

Which unfortunately I never tried (and thanks for the suggestion, I’ll put it on my list of new recipes to try).

I think that pastes from Barilla (one of the biggest producers from Italy and better distributed in Europe and worldwide) are often good, both in preparation and in ingredients. So I would say that if you choose that, for sure it won’t be bad (it’s made in Italy with italian ingredients).

https://www.barilla.com/it-it/prodotti/sughi/salsa-pronta-peperoncino-di-calabria

If you want something that comes directly from Calabria region (from which the Calabrian paste comes, then maybe more similar to the traditional recipe) I would suggest this producer, Lombardo:

https://www.aglioolioepeperoncino.it/peperoncino-calabrese/381-salsa-di-peperoncino-piccante-calabrese.html

2 Likes

I agree with Gffp. Buy Barilla, it’s the best.

2 Likes

Thanks, you guys! I will try to buy them here in Berlin and keep you posted. :slight_smile:

Also, since you’re here to recommend stuff, do you think that De Cecco is a good brand? Or is Barilla better?
In terms of supermarket Pasta, I like De Cecco better. And the olive oil I buy is from the same maker.

1 Like

Barilla and De Cecco are both very good brands for pasta.

2 Likes

Good to know. We often buy these two brands. De Cecco is very expensive: 2€ for a 500g pack. Barilla is about 1,60€.

1 Like

Ah, ok. Here it’s about half price, compared to yours.

1 Like

Maybe we all should really set up an import/export service: chocolate for Britain, pasta for Germany…

2 Likes

Well, I agree with Zak on brands: both are good.

In general Barilla is one of the bigger and seem to be more oriented also on international presence. Then maybe sometimes the taste of the products is slightly different from original recipes. For example I don’t like the Barilla’s pesto, but not because it is not good, but because it has a recipe with a taste slightly different from the genoan one. Both brands are a warranty on food, anyway. De Cecco is a smaller brand, then probably the higher price is mostly for higher costs of exportation process.

2 Likes

One important question is: Do they change the recipes form country to country or do they export for example the pesto made in Italy to all other countries? I know from Nutella that it tastes in each European country different (and it has different ingredients).

1 Like

Good point.
They shouldn’t change anything, but I really can’t be 100% sure of that.
They probably can alter something, in quantities.

1 Like

Is this one that you want to buy? @Mario
share-pack-sugo-peperoncino

3 Likes

I don’t think Barilla changes the recipe of pesto from country to country. In any case, you can check the jar: it’s always written not only where it was produced, but also where the major ingredients come from. If the production site is different, then maybe slight differences in taste could exist (depending on different origin of ingredients or a desired different taste to obtain, maybe in different countries).
When I was in Ireland, the jars of Barilla’s pesto seemed to me exactly the same I see on shelves in Italy, but I didn’t check the origin.
For pesto I think the answer to the difference from the traditional genoan one is also in the kind of basil they use. Basil from Genoa is a variety that is more delicate in taste. Probably it’s not easy to have great quantities of this peculiar ingredient. And that’s also part of charm of territories and local productions.

Another topic is what people from other regions like and if producers adapt their product to those tastes (like you said for Nutella).

1 Like

I don’t know why, but there’s something that tells me that @Gffp loves the pesto alla genovese :smiley:

2 Likes

I will try to find it. Thanks!

I had pesto from De Cecco the other day and it tasted very good. It took me two weeks to finish the small jar. Now I have a pesto from Barilla waiting.

1 Like

It looks like the pesto alla genovese is quite popular, huh… didn’t think so!

1 Like

What is your favorite pesto?

1 Like