How did you discover Thimbleweed Park?

Are you a long time Ron Gilbert fan who discovered Thimbleweed Park reading the announcement that Ron published on his personal blog in Nov 2014?

Was it Kickstarter that alerted you that someone was developing this new adventure game?

Maybe you read about the kickstarter on a website/forum?

Was it a friend who cited it to you?

Did you find it on Steam by chance, when the game was published?

I have to confess that I don’t remember exactly how I discovered it. It’s very likely that I read about it on AdventureGamers.com, but I’m not sure about that.

2 Likes

Heard about it on Grumpy Gamer, backed it at the soundtrack level (now one of my regrets given how huge and awesome the phonebook is).

The fact is that… that I don’t remember. I WOULD like to remember that! It was at the very beggining, for sure. How can I remember? Does anyone know a good hyptonist?

1 Like

Yes!

Yes!!

I’ve backed a lot of Kickstarter projects since my first one (DFA)
If I wouldn’t have seen it already on http://grumpygamer.com I would have seen it on Kickstarter.

Btw. I’m backer #271, so I was quite quick (which is unusual for me).

Yes, I discovered TWP reading Grumpy Gamer.
I occasionally had a look on the blog since 2010 more or less.
I backed after the closing of the Kickstarter campaign, using Pledgemanager.

A friend who is a backer mentioned it to me. Unfortunately the kickstarter was over by then, so I was a late backer.

However I was a Ron Gilbert fan since I read his name in the intro of Maniac Mansion on the Commodore 64 sometime in the late 80s.

I knew about Thimbleweed Park from a Facebook post. I thought that a new adventure game was ready to be played already!
Instead, I had discovered that it was crowdfunding.
So… I decided to become a backer, for the first time. And with $50. Well I’m not rich, but I was glad to give those money and all my trust to the people who made me happy and gave me huge satisfactions in my teen days!
And now, I can say:
No regrets, no remorses!

From Ron’s personal blog.

I have backed quite a few Kickstarter projects including the Alice book, 52cards, Pinstripe, Decadent Minimalist, DIANI & DEVINE MEET THE APOCALYPSE, etc. I was part of the original Thimbleweed Park campaign. I have always loved adventure games, and this one called o me as soon as I read about it.

Steam recommended games.

For me it was one of the LucasArts fan sites (either ScummVM or The Scumm Bar, I can’t remember exactly).

I’ve been a fan of Sierra graphic adventures since the 1990s, barely knew about LucasFilms games except for the Day Of The Tentacle, which I played with a friend back in the 1990s and loved it. That game took me eventually to learn about Maniac Mansion and other SCUMM games.

Still, my nostalgia was attached to the Sierra games, mostly the Leisure Suite Larry and Space Quest games, of which I own the entire series and play at least every other year.

Anyhoo… I was a backer of the Space Venture project from the guys who made the Space Quest games, and I was very excited. That project entered “development hell” and never came out. I was very disappointed and sort of crushed that the developers took so much money and squandered it so miserably.

In the midst of all that, I was recommended Thimbleweed Park by the Kickstarter page. At first I was skeptical because I didn’t know who Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick were, nor was I very familiar with their work. In fact, my favourite LucasFilm game, Day Of The Tentacle, is not even to his credit.

Nonetheless, considering that I love adventure games, I signed up and pledged. I missed the Kickstarter by a few days, so I used Humble Bundle.

After that, I started reading up on Mr. Gilbert and his work, and tried playing Maniac Mansion.

It was the development blog that sold me. That and the failure from the old Sierra guys to produce anything for years, endeared me to the Thimbleweed Park project. The more I read about Mr. Gilbert’s design philosophies and his development progress, the more I felt convinced that LucasFilms were the better games. I can respect them more and they are much more enjoyable and less frustrating that Sierra’s. I still prefer the old Sierra games, but by now it’s mostly due to nostalgia.

So, in the end, I am a convert. I’d like to think I am precisely part of the target audience for this game: someone who likes old games, enjoys adventure games, but by no means a hardcore adventurer or gamer at all. In short, a new customer not a die-hard fan.

In that sense, Thimbleweed Park delivers: It is now one of my favourite adventure games, and I can certainly see it as part of those few games I like to re-play once in a while. It is not perfect, and there are some things about it that annoy me, particularly the end-game, but the overall experience has many more positives. :slight_smile:

-dZ.

Well, it didn’t come out yet. But I’m sure it will, eventually.

1 Like

I imagine it will. However, by now it’s been several years and in the meantime, Terrible Toybox started a Kickstarter, created a game engine essentially from scratch, developed an entire adventure game with voice acting and high quality writing and artwork, and released it to the public – and all the time blogging and podcasting about it with the community of backers!

My adventure game heroes have been replaced*. :slight_smile:

• Seriously, that was one of the greatest things about this project and what endeared me to Mr. Gilbert the most. From the very beginning he made it clear that he knew how hard it was going to be and that he was committed to managing his budget and project in a responsible and transparent manner. I was so very much impressed by his ability to follow through on this throughout the entire project. Even when the project got delayed, his reasons for it were justified and well considered. It is hard to overstate how well managed this project appears to have been.
3 Likes

I agree. Thimbleweed Park was a perfectly executed Kickstarter project (and I’ve backed > 100 projects).

But I also don’t care if projects take (really) long, as long as they can afford it and will deliver eventually.

Well, taking too long is not a problem to me. Failing to deliver because of mismanagement is. This is off-topic, of course, but it struck me as odd when Space Venture changed game engines various times and couldn’t seem to pin down its technology or design approach. That can burn through a project’s budget very quickly.

Mr. Gilbert has a very impressive track record of managing development projects and Thimbleweed Park just benefited greatly from his hand. (Not to mention his design philosophy, technical talent, and creative prowess.)

I knew about the game from several forums I visit frequently enough. I rarely visit blogs, kickstarter, twitter or facebook sites, unless linked to there from a forum’s post. The Timbleweed blog however, I did visit quite frequently.

He is totally dedicated to his art. (Or, as Gary Winnick would put it, he has “no life”.)

1 Like

I discovered TWP reading a series of articles about classic adventure games by Kosta Andreadis on IGN:

I found those articles by chance, googling “monkey island”. I occasionally do that when I have spare time and want to read something about my favorite games. I love classic adventure games since my childhood, but I usually don’t spend time following adventure gaming sites, Ron’s blog or new kickstarter projects.

Since I found those articles at the beginning of 2015, after the closing of the Kickstarter campaign, I was very happy to find out I could back TWP using Pledgemanager. And I followed the development blog through the entire project; I enjoyed it a lot.

1 Like

Regrettably, I was not an original backer, but discovered Thimbleweed Park only 2-3 months before it was released. I was searching “Maniac Mansion” on google (not something I normally do, but just felt like it that day), and I found some articles that mentioned the new project by the original creators. It was like a dream come true! I only had to wait a couple months to play it, so my expectations were different than those that had been tracking the project for 2 years.

1 Like