Today, a friend of mine has finished Thimbleweed Park.
Nothing special about it, except for this friend did not play any Lucas* adventure games before, apart Monkey Island when she was 6 years old (and left it unfinished).
She played TWP just because I talked about it many many (^100) times.
She is the girl who was with me at Munich, in January 2017, when Ron Gilbert allowed some users to play a public demo:
After that great experience, she returned home and wanted to resume her old Monkey Island game.
So, she played it (finishing it, this time), then purchased Thimbleweed Park via Steam, and started to play it.
During this past weekend, she finished the game in casual mode, and gave me some questions/impressions about it.
WARNING: possible heavy spoilers ahead, I will not blur them
- She didn’t understand why Delores had a balloon animal. She didn’t understand what “kickstarter video” means. So, she imaged that the key to escape would have been the body on the river, because “if it all started with the body, it must finish with the body”. She imaged to attach the balloon animal to the corpse, so it could fly, revealing a secret entrance on the ground…
- There are too many unanswered questions:
- Who killed Boris?
- Who killed Franklin?
- Xavier the ghost is still on the Penthouse, crying?
- Will Willie be free again?
- Why the sheriff, the coroner and the hotel manager are the same person?
Now (yes, after having just finished a few minutes ago) she is replaying it, in hard mode.
Congratulations, Thimbleweed Park team!
You have successfully addicted a friend of mine to adventure games!