Language Discussion

What´s your problem? I was talking about the correct use of pronouns. “pronoun-ciation”…

1 Like

Correct the wise, and you’ll make him wiser. Correct the fool, and you’ll make him your enemy. :face_with_monocle:

It’s pronounced tas-ty!

Just picture him like that:

2 Likes

Oh look it´s David Warner! Better know as “that british actor who is in everything”.

I didn’t know that. I always thought dialects only changed certain words and pronunciation, but not the grammar!

Ja ja, der Milan.
Adding an article before saying peoples names in Spanish is not correct and usually associated to ignorants.

Hm. Never thought about that. I should give it a try. Thanks also to @Someone and @LogicDeLuxe for their recommendations.

It´s true though!

Most common way people greet me!

1 Like

Italian dialects can be very different in grammar. Northern dialects have a grammar which takes a lot from french or other central Europe languages. Friulan takes a lot from slovenian.
Not to mention the dialects from Valdaosta and from Alto Adige which are actually, in turn, a French and German dialect.

Some southern regions take something from spanish or even arabian. Sardinian language… well, its a whole different language :blush:

Adding an article before saying peoples names in Italian is not correct and usually associated to Milanese people :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Time for a boring and useless OT.

While the article before a given name is considered in italian an error, it is allowed to use it before a surname.
It is particularly true whe referring to the members of a family, just like in english:

“the greens” -> “i verdi”

The difference is that in english the surname can change from singular (“Green”) to plural (“Greens”) when referring to more than one person. In italian you can’t change this: the colour green is translated into “verde”, which plural is “verdi”. “Verde” and “Verdi” are considered two different family names in italian, and you’ll keep them unchanged when referring to one or more people.

Sig. Verde -> Mr. Verde
Sig. Verdi -> Mr. Verdi
I Verde -> The Verdes
I Verdi -> The Verdis

The article before the surname when referring to one single person is quite uncommon nowadays and is used only in formal documents or when referring to important and distinguished personalities: “il Manzoni”, “il Petrarca”.
It has been a common habit until some years ago to mantain the article before women’s surnames as like when talking about plural people. that’s because articles in italian are not only number-secific but also gender-specific: since surnames are unchangeable in gender and number, using the correct article before a surname is a smart and easy way to understand if you’re talking about a man, a woman, or a whole family:

“Il Rossi” or simply “Rossi” -> a man
"La Rossi" -> a woman
"I Rossi" -> a Family

Anyway, some people nowadays started considering this habit as “politically uncorrect”, so now a lot of people refers also to women omitting the article before the surname.

3 Likes

Does it work the same with numbers?
Il 46, La 46, I 46?

I can confirm this for several other German dialects too. :slight_smile:

(We are now extremely off-topic. Maybe @Calypso can/should put/move all posts about the language stuff in a new thread?)

2 Likes

That’s why I was so scared when I heard my daughter saying it :stuck_out_tongue: I told it to my sister and parents and they were like “NOOOO she’s a northerner now!”

You know, it happens is Zurich too. Not that much, but still at least half of the time I had colleagues doing that.

Just read some English books from the 19th century instead. :wink: They’re all one-and-twenty this, two-and-thirty that.

1 Like

Like “Der Fahrnholz Milan!”?

On holiday in France once, while trying to chat up some French dudes, my friend whispered to me, “How many blackbirds were in the pie?”

I can’t remember what she was trying to work out but I guess it was something to do with the number 80 because the rhyme is ‘four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie’, which is like ‘quatre-vingt’, which is 80.

I never got to find out because I spent the next hour in hysterics (the French guys left).

1 Like

Yeah, that´s another thing only we do I think. We have that in common with the chinese, only for them it´s more official. :slight_smile:

This actually happened:

I was standing in a french bakery with a friend who didn´t have french at school. He´s trying to order something, leans over to me and whispers in my ear:

“Hey Milan, what´s the french word for ´Baguette´?”

I basically haven´t stopped laughing at that for the past 16 years.

4 Likes

This is not only common in Bavaria but in most southern regions of Germany, for example in the Saarland. Among friends it is common in northern Germany to use only the last name like “der Fahrnholz” - but this is mostly used instead of a nickname.

1 Like

We had a number of fellow students at school who were refered to only by their second name. No one knows who decides that, it just happens. I was never one of those, though.