"Papers, Please": the indie game becomes a short movie

It doesn’t happen every day that a point-and-click game strongly based on narrative and puzzles becomes the subject of a movie, even if a short one.

So I was very pleased to discover that “Papers, Please”, a quite popular and critically acclaimed indie game published a few years ago, will see its plot transposed into a movie. Here is the trailer:

If you aren’t familiar with the game, “Papers, Please” puts the player in the shoes of a government employee of the fictional communist state of Arstotzka. His job is to inspect the documents of people who want to enter the state and decide who can enter it, who can’t and who needs to be arrested.

But inspecting the documents is tricky and some of them may be forged or invalid: the game uses bureaucracy and the alienating atmosphere of a very sensitive and stressful job to tell a story about morals, politics and humanity.

While the gameplay of “Papers, Please” was never my cup of tea (you need to be extremely careful at inspecting the documents) I have always appreciated the narrative aspects of the game and I look forward to watch the short movie. :slight_smile:

If you are interested, you can follow the official Facebook page.

3 Likes