Official Thimbleweed Park Forums

TWP # players on steam revealed

I don’t do Steam, I can’t get on with it. I find it very intrusive like facebook push notifications. I had Chaos Engine on that but gave up. I love Gog because it is DRM free and don’t bug you. I buy the game. I download the game, I play the game whenever instantly without having to jump through hoops just to play things I have paid for. They add new games to Gog all the time. Escape From Monkey just went on there I think, that is all of them on there now. I’m waiting for Westwoods Dune 2 but it has been a long wait.

“Who Wants to Live Forever” in The Cave is a hard one!

If you are careless you can easily jump to your death in this game from those many ladders.

The key is to choose the right team, e.g. using the Knight to traverse most of the cave helps you preventing any fall damage. Or don’t choose the Adventurer, too many spikes in that area!

Mojo listed a bunch of adventure games:

The Cave did really well compared to a lot of adventure games!

I always find it irritating when such lists totally ignore the many fine adventure games of Daedalic.

OTOH, I do get some satisfaction from the fact that their newer, non-point-n-click style games have worse numbers than the more traditional ones. (Obviously, they haven’t been out for too long yet).

Anyway, here’s the data:

Title Players
The Whispered World Special Edition 161,751
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 137,882
Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes 219,442
A New Beginning - Final Cut 108,523
Chains of Satinav 188,342
Memoria 186,812
Deponia 743,347
Chaos on Deponia 249,600
Goodbye Deponia 168,319
Deponia Doomsday 123,013
Silence 69,338
The Pillars of the Earth 58,710

Deponia seems to be a bit of an outlier. Did they give that away for free at some point in time?

It’s also worth noting that quite a few of those games were sold DRM-free on DVD, back then when that was still a thing. So the numbers are likely not indicative of overall sales. The exception to that is Chains of Satinav, which always required Steam, even for its physical copy.

In the same order (as you list suggests) I would recommend to play the Daedalic games. :wink:

Yes and no: Especially in Germany they had the DRM-free DVD version. Beside that the Deponia series was sold together with several magazines (yes, we have still the printed ones :wink: ) and it was part of several game bundles (for example Humble Bundles). Plus: Deponia was the most popular adventure game from Daedalic in Germany - it was featured in several TV shows.

Yes, you can still get them stuffed between the gardening tips and the fake boobs.

Remember these numbers are terribly skewed for games that have been on sale (sometimes in deep discount). Also games that were part of Humble Bundles where the play quickly booted it but never played it. Don’t read too much into these numbers. TWP has been massively successful on Switch and I have no doubt that is cannibalize Steam to some extent. By next month we will have sold more on Switch than Steam and Switch shows little signs of letting up.

Frequently Asked Questions (about TWP, Monkey Island and other things)

The number of indie games on the switch is astonishing. Couldn´t have imagined that on a nintendo console in the 90s.

I wonder if that is just the right audience.

I mean @tasse-tee wouldn´t even be here without the switch port, right? See how you manage to reach a younger audience that isn´t even nostalgic about the old games that way? Good job on that! :slight_smile:

I thought the methodology behind those numbers required players to unlock at least one achievement. If booting up a game counts as achievement these days, I no longer need to wonder how the current state of the world comes about …

But yeah, the numbers should be taken with a lump of salt. OTOH, they give a rare insight into an otherwise pretty black box.

Yeah, you get the first achievement already when the title card of the first chapter shows up.

Achievement unlocked: you got out of bed you lazy fool!

Most games have a “givme” achievement. Often this is done for the exact reason of being able to see how many people started the game but didn’t get to the first “real” achievement. Devs use achievements as analytics. We love achievements that just monitor progress.

I also haven´t seen a single game so far where the one for finishing the game itself is not among the rarest achievements… Those that track the progress always make the achievement graphics look like a reverse pyramid.

I’m really glad! And switch came only several months after the initial developing.

Indeed. That is great news!!

@RonGilbert Would this mean that perhaps in the future doing another classic adventure game is not such a bad idea (sales-wise) after all?

Great stuff! Go switch.

I never thought of that, as feedback that rocks. You can tell how difficult each section was and where you could you know use some balance of difficulty.

It is a shame that such tactics were not in play ‘in the old days’, Jak and Daxter 2 has one of the hardest levels I have ever played and I consider myself a decent player.

Since they have to install and boot them up at least I think those numbers should work OK for comparing the games among each other for PC platforms.

This ratio is probably similar on GOG too (although much lower in total numbers).
But I wonder how many they have sold of their own games on their platform vs. Steam (particularly The Witcher 3).

Yeah, but games that are on sale for $1.99 are going to have horrible skewed numbers from games that are $19 and rarely go on sale. When a game gets past a point, it’s bargain binned and if you only look at units, you not getting the whole story. I’ve bought several $1.99 games, booted them once and never again. I don’t think this is a “valid” sale when comparing to other games (it’s even worse for games that have been in a Humble bundle). As a dev, you’re moving a lot of units at $1.99 but making very little money. If the game is 5 years old, that’s OK. Just don’t compare units from that 5 year old game to a 2 year old game that’s rarely been on sale. It’s not a realistic or even useful picture.

If I want to look at money then yes, it will be horrible wrong.

But if I just want to know something about their popularity I think it works well.
My assumption is that people not caring or really wanting to play a game (right away) won’t start the game at all. Or even install it or (regarding Humble) maybe not even claim the game on Steam.
(This assumption is based on my behaviour: I don’t start games until I want to play them.)