TWP # players on steam revealed

As someone who has developed games and tried to get them published through traditional channels (the gatekeepers). I did a lot of number crunching.

Your best bet as a game dev is to pitch your game at the right price point to start with and hold firm on that price for as long as possible. With steady sales you will do alright.

You could discount your game and get 50,000 sales you wouldn’t have but if the price is much reduced so is your take.

70% of £14.99 will get you far more than 70% of £8.99 (A price I paid for TWP on a one day sale on GOG).

Or less.

Games older than 5 years do good to discount a lot of sales of an older game makes sense. They’ve had a lot of sales at full price, and have gone into the second run budget market much like the Lucasarts games did when they went Kixx XL back in the day.

For recently released games going the bundle/cheap sale price does you no favours at all
all it does is devalue your brand. Plus if your target audience has seen the drop and not got the game yet (even if they wanted to) they will want to hang on until the price goes down again, not wanting to buy it for more than they had seen it previously

These are my personal observations in my endeavours (I’ve only released one game commercially to date. I’ve written a great number though)…

If you knocked up something quick and cost effectively then low price high sales makes sense too but when you’ve laboured long and hard over a project for years it doesn’t.