What is "offensive"?

Good luck with that search… reggae originated in the 60s from ska influences :wink:

What bothers me in these kind of phrases is that it implies some countries or cultures would be more entitled to claiming a stronger culinary tradition than others. While the only apparent thing about this “stronger” tradition is typically only their fierceness in defending it. Conversely, it’s not because the majority of the world thinks the kitchen and typical cooking in country/culture A is “nothing special”, not tasty, or does not have a (bloated?) pedigree to show for, that it would take away the value for those belonging to country/culture A.

Sorry, I have a (historically ingrained?) allergy to anything that smells remotely to advocating supremacy.
I say: thankfully, we have all these different choices nowadays. Choice means you have freedom to pick and prefer different things without getting judged for it.

But that just bothers me, it doesn’t offend me.

1 Like

:man_facepalming: that’s right. I actually was thinking about some ska original recordings I have on a nice 4-CD-set. In my partial defense, I underlined that new music styles come from contamination of previous genres. But the overall meaning of my post is preserved, I think.

1 Like

Anyway, in my experience, when it comes to discuss pizza, the quality of the confrontation drops dramatically :joy:

I’d like to try to slightly change subject asking if the fellow americans here can explain me, in their opinion, why this

It is something of the American culture I really don’t understand.

1 Like

Nah, it’s actually a less direct way of saying “anyone except the US” :sweat_smile:

Seriously speaking though, I don’t mean it as “superior”, but as in “people have in general stronger feelings about it”.

[quote=“Ema, post:143, topic:5133”]I’d like to try to slightly change subject asking if the fellow americans here can explain me, in their opinion, why this

It is something of the American culture I really don’t understand.[/quote]

(shrug) For everything not in English, they probably want a version in English. For the British films… maybe they just want to do it themselves? A lot of it probably boils to money and profit.

We’re living in an era where American films are constantly remade into new American films. Not all of us love it.

If nothing else, the people making it get to keep more of the money it makes.

But people are a bit weird about film remakes imho. (Admittedly many aren’t necessarily that great.) No one would bat an eye at a different set of people doing a different interpretation of a play.

Some remakes are valuable, indeed.

Especially remakes of very old films done by very good directors.

What you said about the language can solved with subtitles or dubbing. A good dubbing gives you a full suspension of disbelief, so that you barely notice the limping lip-sync.
Obviously I can’t understand why remaking a recent british movie.

My point is: books and movies are for travelling in time and space with your mind.
Watching -say- an iranian movie of the 60es, entirely made in iran by iranian people is an amazing occasion for me to open a window on that culture in that time span.
Why should I prefer to see the same story localized in my neighborhood nowadays? I’m getting less than half of the experience. That’s what I don’t understand.

I think this is the first and possibly the main reason. There’s people who has to live with their job. And that’s risky business. But, hey, this movie made tons of euros 3 years ago! Let’s try to make some dollars, too, from that idea.

But doesn’t this lead to a cultural flattening?
It makes the industry more economically rich, but the people more culturally poor.

I mean, the risk is that we are taming the masses with a standardized hollywood-style product, creating many unnecessary low-value products. If you are used to just that kind of product, you might become lazy and less apt to break your comfort zone and dare to watch a movie of another unknown country or older than 10 years…

I might be apparently fully off-topic, but I don’t think so much.

3 Likes

Unless they don’t :slight_smile:.

In the defense of the U.S., in my time there we watched several original foreign movies at the local “artsy” theater, even though they sold The Host (2006) as Japanese.

And the pizza over there was delicious, too. Not quite sure which outlet we frequented, though, and I cannot seem to coerce the internet to reveal which business existed at a certain address in 2006. I fear it might have been Pizza Hut.

I’m offended that the highest-grossing animated film is currently The Lion King (2019 remake). Is that on topic?

No.

So welcome, you’re in good company, in this forum.

2 Likes

Adjusted for inflation it’s still Snow White I believe.

That’s considerably less offensive.

My idea is that media that are meant to be enjoyed in one way - that is “recorded” media, like books, art, videogames, movies, music albums - don’t need remakes.

Media that are live - theatre plays, live music - then get a pass, because the variation is already meant in the medium itself as the very same play or the very same piece by the same performers will anyway have differences due to human nature.

I agree, especially when you say

Without bringing Hollywood in the topic, an example is Bienvenue chez les Ch’tis, a French comedy film known in Italy as Giù al nord which heavily relies on French regional stereotypes.

The film has been remade into Benvenuti al sud in Italy, and… I get it, the concept was fun and it made sense to remake the movie using the Italian north/south cultural references, but it’s not like the French ones are entirely out of reach for an Italian viewer. You just need a bit of mental elasticity to imply stuff. The problem is that sometimes viewers are spoon fed what they need to know.

2 Likes

I am sure we’ve debated this at length in another topic (the language one?), but dubbing is evil in my perspective. It replaces at least half of the acting performance of the original actors and as such it is a less risky and less expensive “remake”.
For children medium I get it, as they cannot read subtitles, but for adults? Meh.

All remakes are about making (more) money and reaching a bigger audience (to make more money).
And movies don’t even have to be “foreign” or “old” to get remade, like the 2002 Spiderman movie.

2 Likes

As one of the directors of the Italian dub of Thimbleweed Park I can’t agree more

:smiling_imp:MUAHAHAHAHHAH

2 Likes

I don’t think they’re meant to be enjoyed in one way at all. I take great exception to that. :wink:

Here, have a random example:

The American remake of Loft was rather unnecessary though. I just learned there’s even a Dutch one @Sushi!

Which explains why when I looked up Katja Herbers on IMDB, I was surprised to learn she’d been in Loft. She was in the Dutch version.

1 Like

This isn’t a remake though. Or, not what I consider a remake. It’s a cover with a variation, which I accept.

A remake in my sense would be re-recording the same song and saying “here, so you don’t have to listen to the old version”.

Oh yeah, both remakes were unnecessary. At least the American one was done by the director who always dreamed to make a Hollywood movie.
The Dutch remake makes no sense at all, the language is (mostly) the same and the addressable market small by either country’s standard.

That happens all the time for a variety of reasons, exactly none of which are the one you imagined there. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Does it? I’m not talking about remasters - which I also find unnecessary, btw