What is your favorite classic Lucas adventure?

I love all the earlier Lucas games, but Maniac Mansion is hands down my favorite. It was the first adventure game I ever completed (I only figured out one way to solve it, and didn’t know there were other ways until many years later), it was the reason I started learning English (I never studied the language, I learned playing games and translating songs lyrics, lol).

I played it on my Commodore 64 and on a neighbor’s PC (we solved it together), the C64 is my favorite version. Sometimes I would start the game just to hear the music intro.

I still play this game once a year or every other year, I never get tired of it. Last time I played it with my nieces (the LucasFan remake so they could see it in Spanish) and they loved it, now one of them wants to play Thimbleweed Park, but I want her to try Monkey Island first. :slight_smile:

I am playing the original Full Throttle (I hate the graphics of the new remake) and I am liking it. When it came out I didn’t, it seemed too easy and too short.

being a sleazy TABLOID reporter

2 Likes
  • kill Sushi in many ways :cry:
1 Like

I killed you:

• in the Chuck the plant pot
  • in the desk lamp (turn on the lamp – funniest)
  • in the sink (turn on the sink – gh gh gh gh!)
1 Like
2 Likes

It would be nice to have a -Order- Sort your favorite Lucas Arts game tool.
My order would be Grim, MI2, Fate, MI1, Dig, Throttle, Dott, Loom and so on…

1 Like

We should do a thread where everyone ranks their top 10 and then we aggregate the lists.

It is so much difficult for me to decide, I would put MI2 in the first place because it was HUGE. Great puzzles, great artwork, and the great and ignored (according to developers, not my case) IMUSE.

After that one it is difficult for me to decide DOTT was great, mixing past and future to solve puzzles was quite fun, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis had three different stories in one game, that was great too. Loom was such a beautiful game, Sam’n’Max was very fun I really liked that too. The DIG was also great I enjoyed that one very much too.

As I said, it is very difficult for me. Those were the best games ever and they are all in my heart :smiley:

1 Like

Hands down Maniac Mansion. Simply because it was the ONLY LucasArts adventure which allowed you to solve the game in multiple ways (as far as I know at least). I so much enjoyed the freedom to try out stuff, even if it wasn’t related to progressing in the game.
The downside was that there were a few things which rendered your game unfinishable. I just wish Thimbleweed Park had both “freedom to do stuff” and “no way to mess up”.

1 Like

My favorite game ever was Monkey1 until Monkey2 came out. It will probably stay that way until we have Monkey3. :stuck_out_tongue:

My favourite will forever remain “The Secret of Monkey Island”. The feeling I had (and have) wandering over the Melee Island, the music … nothing will ever surpass this (feeling).

However:

• Maniac Mansion was new when I discovered it (played on a friend’s C64) and later Zak where the obscure Alien-Storyline clicked even more with me (Loved the noseglasses jokes in TWP).

• Greatly enjoyed Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade with my friends, spending weekends at my place and until late at night solving the puzzles.

• Loom I liked for it’s graphics but the fantasy theme is not my favourite.

• Monkey 2 was my brother’s favourite and comes a close second for myself. Great storyline, wonderful graphics but the first time the Amiga version was not the best of the ports

• Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis was awesome, too. Again a team effort for me and brought countless hours of fun

I had a personal break after this because I had to switch platforms from Amiga (1200) to PC. When I did so, I played DOTT (I long hoped for an Amiga Version) and then Monkey 3 (liked it even something was missing - plus I would have preferred an art style closer to MI2). DOTT was good - but I never was a huge fan though.

What TWP achieved is I really had a feeling rooting back to “The Secret of Monkey Island” and I am sure the art style had a lot to do with it but also the puzzle structure. I dunno - there’s a style to it that IS recognizable and it felt true to the spiritual predecessors mentioned. What made it special for me, too was playing it with my son who undoubtly had the same feeling like I had back then - we played way into the night with Coke and Popcorn and constantly trying things, debating over puzzles and so on. So I got the whole package from TWP that I was hoping for.

3 Likes

LeChuck’s Revenge improved on a lot of what Secret did and it had way better music/sound. However, I barely prefer it over Secret, which I still find to be such a superbly crafted and charming game.

Better than both in my rankings is DOTT due to its more or less flawless puzzle design and my winner is Indy:Atlantis because of the sense of wonderment and mystery in the game coupled with it having some serious replay value.

At the bottom of my list (of those I’ve played) is Full Throttle, which somehow felt a bit short, insignificant, and had some very unsatisfying puzzles.

Though, there are a few dead ends in Zak. But, as far as I remember, they are more obvious than several dead ends in MM.

1 Like

I picked Curse. The hand-drawn animation, interface, and overall presentation have always felt like a peak of the classical 90s point-and-click formula.

About favorite adventure games, I’ve noticed that the devs have added to the forum profiles a way to specify what’s your favorite adventure game.

Your choice appears at the top of your profile and in the card that appears when someone clicks on your avatar. I think it’s a great way to declare your love for the genre!

I’m under the impression (but not sure) that this option has been added after I joined the forum and compiled my profile, so maybe other people have not noticed it as well.

2 Likes

The two bits that never get old about that one for me are the banjo duel and the “pirate i was meant to be” song :smile:

2 Likes

Voted MI2 but it was a hard choice. MI1, MM, both Indies and Full Throttle are all my fave games.

You can’t believe the surprise of all those players of non-English versions discovering this gem after years!

I’m with you, MI2 art was way better than MI3 even having lower resolution (higher resolution was great on MI3 but artwork didn’t get near MI2’s). Guybrush was great with his new beard and all the artwork was impressive.