What is your favorite classic Lucas adventure?

Whoa, it would be really nice to have Dave Grossman on board for the next project by “Ron and friends”

Yes! Another (new!) adventure by or with Dave Grossman would be awesome!

I’ve never liked multiple solutions because I don’t like the fact that I can’t ever experience a part of the game.

I know that I’m a minority, here, and that a good percentage of players enjoy not just alternate ways to solve a puzzle but even alternate storylines or alternate endings. Still, I prefer adventure games that have been designed with a single story in mind and with only one way to solve the puzzles. This is also a reason why I never liked very much “Choose Your Own Adventure” books: they can be fun but they destroy the feeling that there is a story.

1 Like

Surely, you mean in a single playthrough.

Yes, I want to experience the whole story in a single playthrough and since the story is in part influenced by the puzzles, I don’t want to miss any puzzle solution. Practically, I don’t like any kind of alternate content or path. This applies only to adventure games or to other games that are strongly based on story and narrative.

I think as long as it doesn’t disturb the objective and the core landmarks of the narrative that having alternative solutions enriches the experience in terms of adding further replay value to a game, but at the same time it’s not something I complain about. I really appreciated the alternative solutions in Indy4 (and only realised some existed when playing through again and again and it was a pleasure to experience these new solutions) but I don’t look at a game like DotT or TWP and wish it had alternate solutions… or even think about it at all.

I’m happy to have an experience of a game rather than the experience, and to then explore alternatives later – which is, of course, the case for many non-PnC adventure games. First and foremost, I want a thorough and rewarding experience which is polished and immersive with very fun gameplay. If the gameplay is good, then I can easily get into a game that on the surface doesn’t have a theme which intrigues me. For that extra level of immersion, however, the game needs that polish and TWP has that polish.

I’m trying to get a friend to play a couple of PnC games and the only avenue I have to get him intrigued is to show him games that appeal to him visually. He’s sold on the graphics and the theme. The gameplay is secondary to him.

Then, I think You’ll like the visual novel games, like Ace Attorney series.
Don’t try Zero Escape (999) series! :reyes:

1 Like

exactly. It always leaves me the feeling that I missed something. And I don’t like to replay stuff (unless two years or so have passed, so I forgot most of it).

I like the other way. :slight_smile: It’s great if I can chose my solution. And it I like to play an adventure again. Due to the multiple solutions it’s not boring.

Zero Escape series is for you, then!
999, Virtue’s Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma.

Thanks for the suggestion. I played Aviary Attorney, which I think is heavily inspired by (and a parody of) Ace Attorney, and I liked it. I see that now a few episodes of Ace Attorney has become available on Steam, so I could give it a try. (I still have my Nintendo DS but would prefer to play it on my PC)

1 Like

I didn’t heard about it. I just watched the trailer and laughed so much! Yes, you are right, it’s heavily inspired by Ace Attorney but with birds instead of humans. I can’t miss it!
Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Oh, despite I liked many other games, mine is The Secret of Monkey Island. Almost every scene, every major passage, every big puzzle reminds me of something from my childhood like events or places, or chats with people, or friends… A game full of significance on many levels, and at the same time very capable to attract the wider audience, also those who want a self contained story, or don’t like the computer games at all.
Ron and his team were capable of doing a manifesto (Why adventure games suck and what we can do) and effectively put those purposes in a game. And what a game.
The spirit of that game is still alive, and will continue to live, I’m sure of that!
The challenge is to catch that spirit and update it to the modern times, if possible.
For those who played computer games in the early nineties, it was an astonishing breath of fresh air among the standards of that era. After many years now I can still feel something of those vibes. It’s like a machine capable of loading an atmosphere of a time. That’s amazing. And very rare.

3 Likes

Ok, then I’ll vote for CMI as my favourite! It surely was the first I anticipated, with pre-release screenshots found on the internet loading at C64-like speeds!!
All previous LFL/LA games were either already released when I first heard of them and/or on a platform I didn’t have access to. Man, did I spent some years yearning to finally buy and play MI & MI2!!
The only game I played before was Zak right after it launched on the C64, so that will always hold a special place as my favourite adventure of all times. But again, for the sake of this poll: curse of MI is fantastic by all means!

CMI is fantastic, and probably the LucasArts game I’ve returned to the most. Great atmosphere!

1 Like