Debunk famous unsolved mysteries! šŸ—æ

I watched a documentary about that once, and really liked that itā€™s so simple. Almost like they fooled people because everyone was looking for a complex explanation and ignoring the obvious.

It amazes me really. I mean black and white or not, they donĀ“t really look like anything else but drawings.

And the case of Arthur Conan Doyle just shows that some people just want to believe something so hard they cling onto everything.

1 Like

That image and the explanation was on a book about ghosts which I had as a child. Its title was ā€œil manuale del cacciatore di fantasmiā€ which means ā€œthe ghost hunterā€™s manualā€. But, more than that, it was a hoax hunterā€™s manual. It contained many many ghost stories, legends and pictures from all over the world.

3 Likes

That sounds like a really cool book!

Hm, Iā€™m not sure I wouldā€™ve thought anything odd about that dude/ette. It doesnā€™t even look like theyā€™re carrying a phone to me.

Are they pulling up their coat collar? Are they mumbling because the zebra made them jump? (ā€œFrrrrr, itā€™s cold tonight, I wish I brought my- Holy bejesus!ā€)

3 Likes

Note that in this case the common explanation is the best theory and not officially confirmed as far as I know, so your guesses might just be as good. :wink:

1 Like

WIthout something for size context, it could be anything. Iā€™ll go with baby Nessie. :smiley:

(But come on, the most obvious explanation is some random floating wood, whether deliberate or just by coincidence.)

I can think of several ways to do that on filmā€¦ the easiest one being to have an old or broken camera that doesnā€™t automatically advance the roll of film. Maybe rolls hadnā€™t even been developed (harhar) in 1917 yet but you get my drift.

Fancier, some tricks with mirrors besides or on top of double exposure, probably moreā€¦

Of course they could also look fake simply due to being even more fake than alluded to above, i.e., being painted figurines.

Too unclear to tell if theyā€™re not just scratching their ear, but if there is a device, somehow a portable radio or something seems a bit more plausible than some far-fetched talking on the phone nonsenseā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I loved it. It had also a small section with ghost games, ghost recipes and suggestions for a small ghost party. And a small section about how to make yourself an equipment for ghost hunters. But 80% of the book was either old stories or a wiki chapter about the various kinds of ghost: here I learned what a doppelgƤnger, or a poltergeist were supposed to be, for example.

1 Like

ThatĀ“s the point, you are really close! :laughing:

Also very true!

If Iā€™m close I guess that would imply a different material than wood?

Both german leanwords.

Yes, I think the difference between a haunting and a poltergeist is that one thing is attached to the place and the other to a certain person that is said to be specially receptive.

ItĀ“s funny how these pseudsciences make themselves sound almost legit like that with categorising that sounds like it could make sense even if it doesnĀ“t. :slight_smile:

Is it just really loud so sheā€™s covering her ear? And, er, still mumbling.

No you are correct on the material and also good for pointing out the lack of size reference. There is an uncropped version I will show later.

It actually does have to do with noise. And a device related to that.

Very early hearing aid?

1 Like

I said wood, too, since itā€™s the most obvious material. And I didnā€™t mention the size, but I thought the shape was little.
Because of the size of the waves, and because thereā€™s no point in making a big shape.

grafik

Yes, she might be fumbling about with it. ThatĀ“s why she stops and looks around. That particular 1910s/20s model was really big.

4 Likes

So is that the common explanation, or just a possibility?

grafik

The thing is actually really small. The guy who made this crafted the neck and head out of wood and mounted it onto a toy submarine. Then they took the picture and gave the photo to their friend who was a doctor to give it to the press and tell the story to make it seem legit. Because we all know doctors never lie right?

6 Likes

I think that is the common explanation. But IĀ“m not sure if itĀ“s possible to really confirm 90 years after the scene was shot.

2 Likes