Does Thimbleweed Park belong to the pack?

That sentence has a second part that answers your question. But read the whole post very carefully, something might have went over your head…

Oh, sorry, I didn’t recognize it! :smiley:

Good, I don´t want to ruin anyone else´s fun recognizing it, by explaining. :slight_smile:

Was I the only one who found Loom quite funny? Just the right balance of pathos and whimsy. And graphic wise, at least on EGA monitor, it had to’ve been among the most stunning games ever. A VGA facelift didn’t do it any favours though.

1 Like

Could be. After 20+ years I might have forgotten the jokes :slight_smile:

You just said that to one of the few people in this forum who liked the VGA version more. :stuck_out_tongue:

We discussed the EGA/VGA versions of Loom in this thread.

Was Loom for Amiga the same as the EGA version? Because I only played on Amiga, and then for VGA years later. (And the second time it did seem to have lost some magic, now that I recall)

As far as I remember, pretty much, yes. But I don´t remember much about the blood censorship.

I didn’t find Loom funny, too. Though, Loom is not even one of my favorites.

As I wrote in the “Where does Thimbleweed Park rank for you” thread, TWP is my 4th most favorite adventure game. So, I think, it is basically on a par with Ron’s first point & click games, which are shown in the photo above. Though, the TWP box art is less colorful.

Me personally, I like it´s attention to detail, and it´s colorfulness, and how it fits with the tone of the game, and looks like a throwback product of the 80s, and the mood that tells me whacky comedy with only a slightly serious tone and …

You need to divide all the scores by the nostalgia quotient to normalize them. You’re seeing MI through rose colored glasses. I remember someone on the blog during a post about bugs saying that MI didn’t have any bugs. That was followed by someone posting all the bugs in MI. I have a 600 page bug report on my bookshelf with pages and pages of unfixed MI bugs. I remember reading a review of MI1 someone did in the last year where they have it a score of 10. No, it doesn’t deserve a score of 10.

Do I think TWP deserves to be next to MI1, MI2 and LOOM? NO. But in 15 years, MAYBE. I’ll hold TWP up against MI anyday. Remember, MI wasn’t a success back in 1991. It got good, but not great reviews. It sold for shit.

3 Likes

As a product, it doesn’t deserve a 10. As something that flooded people with emotions when they were kids, it fully deserves a 10.

That maybe true, but if that’s the case, then MI (and games like it) and a product of their time. That game today is Minecraft.

Yes, with its charming pixelated graphic.
According to the children, it’s a game that can let their fantasy to fly, it’s a game with no constraints, and they love to create, expand their worlds.

Who knows, maybe in ten years, those children will face a reborn of point’n’click adventure games, because meanwhile TWP has became as popular as Monkey Island.

No. :wink: I’ve played the LA and other adventure games several times over the years. Some of them lost their charm and some of them are still surprisingly good; they don’t “age”.(*) The latter one is valid for example for DOTT and MI. And I still consider MI one of the best adventure games ever made.

(*) Actually some of the old games surprised me: In my memory they weren’t good games and I don’t liked them. After playing them today again, they turned out to be not that bad at all. :slight_smile:

Well, this is true. :wink: My friends and I played MI several times. We hadn’t a solution at that time (at least at our first playthrough). And we haven’t discovered any bugs. Not one of them. This was valid for the other Lucasfilm adventures too. I can’t remember that we discovered a bug in Indy 3 or even in Zak - if we exclude the dead ends (in Maniac Mansion I ran into some of them and in Zak the problem was the money).

So I’m really speechless if you say, that you have a 600(!) page(!) bug report! For me the LA games were always/nearly bug free. And no, I hadn’t luck because all of my friends hadn’t discovered bugs too.

I know that every bug “hurts” (or “itches”) a developer. :slight_smile: But MI has/had less bugs then other games or programs at that time.

It was a success. Everyone in Germany played it and knew it. But most of these people, sadly, pirated the game. But everyone I knew played it and liked it much.

Not in Germany. For example Powerplay gave 92%, Amiga Joker 93% Only very, very, very few games got similar high ratings.

I guess this was the main reason why it “sold for shit”. I loved it immediately, but not all of my friends did. Almost everyone knew it indeed.
As I already mentioned a few times on these forums, I think that there are too many playable characters in TWP. Three playable characters ought to be the maximum, in order to give every character enough room. That’s why there is no real equivalent to Guybrush, LeChuck and Elaine in TWP.

Yep. But every game back then “sold for shit” due to piracy (with some few exceptions).

Yes and as I said before popular games like Doom were possibly pirated even more due to their restricted aviailabilty.

Arrrrr… the irony!
That’s almost as meta as TWP

3 Likes

If people pirated Monkey Island what did they do with Grim Fandango…kill it?

1 Like