Entries for the IGF competition 2018 (TWP is not there)

Do you know the Independent Game Festival?

I was reading the list of game entries for the Independent Game Festival competition 2018, which can provide to the winners a bit of additional exposure.

All the “cool kids” are there, including “Night in the Woods” and “The Sexy Brutale”, but TWP unfortunately isn’t.

I’m happy to see there my favorite comedy adventure game (“The Darkside Detective”) and I was wondering if your favorite recent independent game (beside TWP) is among the entries.

I was really expecting to see TWP in the list, so if @RonGilbert would like to answer, I would be curious to know if TWP isn’t among those games because the competition wasn’t interesting for Terrible Toybox or because of other reasons.

We didn’t submit. I have issues with the IGF.

2 Likes

I have big issues as well… no more IGF

1 Like

This will probably open a can of worms, but… what are the issues?

3 Likes

I don’t like awards where it’s not about who made the best game, rather it’s about if you’re one of the cool kids and it’s more about the cult of personality around the developer than the game. It’s stopped me from applying to any awards, it’s not just the IGF.

3 Likes

Do you have the impression that this attitude exists in all game award organizations?

1 Like

I think it exists in all awards. I don’t think the Academy Awards are any better. I tend to shy away from Awards where they make you apply. I think the odds of us winning a IGF are extremely low and that has nothing to do with the game. I think what you have is a bunch of people voting on awards based more on hype and buzz and less on the actual creative merits of the game/movie/song.

2 Likes

Interesting, if you agree that a work and the personality of it´s creator should be measured seperatly, do you think they should take away Harvey Weinstein´s Oscar or not?

I’m not familiar with this aspect of the story. Was the Oscar assigned to reward the efforts and results of many other people beside him?

Yes, he was one of I think 4 or 5 producers on Shakespeare In Love. I don´t know how that would even work (remove his name from the statues of the others, too?).

1 Like

Then we better not tell Ron about the yearly ThimbleCon Game Of The Year Reward which will be awarded this Monday after a 30 year hiatus…

3 Likes

The biggest scam of them all!!

2 Likes