Favorite non-Lucas point-and-click adventure games

Last year I played a game called Lakeview Cabin Collection.

It´s an episodic puzzle game with pixel graphics that is based on horror movies of the 70s and 80s.
Episode 3 is based on Friday the 13th, Episode IV is based on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Episode V is based on films like Halloween and Nightmare On Elm Street and Episode V is based on both Aliens and The Thing.

You walk around switch between characters, pick up and use stuff and will probably often die most horribly. Also the style of gameplay changes slightly between Episodes and some of the puzzles are insanely cryptic. But I had a lot of fun trying stuff and it´s based on a free Flash Game that you can check out if you like, also the main game is currently on sale.

http://www.lakeviewcabingame.com/

https://gamejolt.com/games/lakeview-cabin/18469 (the free flashgame)

Daedalic, the company that produced Deponia.

Definitely not suitable for young kids. It scares me when I see kids cosplaying Fran :open_mouth:

And Memoria :slight_smile:

Though Pillars of the Earth is going to be more similar to the Telltale style adventures, not as point-n-clicky as their previous titles. There are a number of previews around, for those that want to form an early opinion.

Now, I personally am much more looking forward to their upcoming The Devil’s Men. It’s the new title by the author of Memoria, so I have high hopes for that one!

1 Like

The Journey Down
The third and last chapter will be released at end of this year.

2 Likes

I enjoyed playing The Journey Down 1 & 2 on the iPad. Good length story, good humor, mostly rational puzzle design.

I played the demo, it seemed great, but… extremely creepy :stuck_out_tongue: a bit too much for my tastes.

1 Like

basically all those from Charles Cecil: Lure of the Temptress, Beneath a Steel Sky, Broken Sword 1 & 2… La abadia del Crimen from Menendez and Delcan. Also Samorost from Amanita Design, even if I played only the demo, it’s definitely worth a try, rescuing the little dog, in fantastic settings…

1 Like

So many people like Grim Fandango that I tried it again yesterday. I could not get past the third location. I can’t force myself to like the graphics style…

1 Like

Didn’t you already try ReShade with TWP? Maybe there is a way to make Grim Fandango look pixelated with its help, would that improve the graphics for you?

1 Like

thanks man. twp is great with reshade, but for Grim Fandango the problems are more serious, not the rendering :slight_smile:

Don’t you like the backgrounds and/or characters at all?

I don’t know what’s worse, between the backgrounds and the characters. :slight_smile:

It reminds me of a mixture of Coraline with splatter movies… with a Tim Burtonish touch.

1 Like

Did you enjoy Broken Sword 5? How do you compare it with the previous installments of the series? To me it was quite well done.

I can understand your opinion of the characters because it’s really a graphic style that relies a lot on the player’s taste about blocky 3D objects.

The background art, though, is a real pleasure for the eyes of those who like architecture inspired by mesoamerican cultures and Art Deco and Art Nouveau.

That’s the same reason why I like the architectures shown in Sinking Island: it’s full of Art Deco. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry, I never played it. I read a little while ago that it is pretty good anyway, and you seem to confirm that opinion. It was a kickstarter project too, if I’m not wrong.

Maurizio, I’m just a Grim Fandango Former Player but… is really the game so bad? I remember characters being quite good, too.
I like still like Manuel and Glottis. Probably the game is too long and a little unbalanced, but not bad at all.

Yes, it was a Kickstarter project, very well managed, by the way.

The overall quality is quite good. A few puzzles are a bit obscure and the game doesn’t provide enough hints, but they are exceptions. The story is interesting, especially if you like all those typical references to religious history that you find also in “The Shadow of the Templars”.

There is a main character that in my opinion is a bit cliche and maybe not well developed, but for the rest is a good game full of interesting events and supported by good art.

Oh, and there is a reference to an (in)famous puzzle:

3 Likes

Eheh, I remember that, almost impossible to solve without a lot of trial and error, almost a game in the game. Frankly speaking I didn’t solve that puzzle, I read a walktrough. This one is very similar to the inner courtyard of the castle of the first installment. Bet this time things will be simpler.

GK2 is both a very different experience and one that makes you really feel like you’re in the same world as GK1. If anything, play it for the awesome characters, the great historical story, and the atmosphere. Oh wait – isn’t that why we played and loved GK1?

Side note: I sometimes play the game just to feel like I’m getting a tour of Munich and the (far) surrounding areas. If this game doesn’t make you want to visit or revisit Germany, then I don’t know what will.

1 Like