Favorite non-Lucas point-and-click adventure games

Just giving a quick look I see ancient egyptian cults that worship reptilian deeities. Yup, I can see where that comparison would come from.

By the way (and I cannot believe I forgot about that in my topic) you know what Lovecraft was really into A LOT?

Tentacles!

Just sayin´…

Thanks to this forum post, and taking advantage of Steam’s summer sales, I have purchased Machinarium.
I liked it, I have finished it a few minutes ago, after about 10 hours of playing.
It has no verbs, no dialogs, no voices, no text. Just the cursor that changes shape depending on where is it posiitoned.
Cool mood, à la Tim Burton.
I think it can be catalogued as a point’n’click episodic, not really an adventure, but still amusing!
Personal overall score: 7/10

Except it suffers from the issue of it being possible to solve puzzles before you encounter them. Two examples:

• Red Edison’s left-handed hammer. You can swap it with the right-handed one, to change the statue in Edna’s surveillance room so you can push her out of the room. An animation is shown to show the effect, but if you haven’t tried to push her prior to this change, you have no idea what the point was. You’ve solved a puzzle without knowing what it was.
  • Likewise, the George’s Hardware leaflet you find at the very start. Its significance only becomes apparent near the end of the game. Only recall the puzzle vaguely, but it’s pretty obvious early on that the leaflet goes in the suggestion box, so that a character in the future has a vacuum cleaner at their disposal. And again, the puzzle can be solved before the need for said item becomes apparent.

Must also detract some points for consistency: books and other paper objects pass through the water-filled cron-o-john unscathed. However, water in the cron-o-john becomes a key point of one of the puzzles when spaghetti that’s passed through turns into soggy noodles. This inconsistency could have so easily been avoided with a pot of boiling water or a bowl, tap and microwave, etc…

Other than that though, yes, by far one of my favourite P&C adventures. The voice acting is spot on, the animations hilarious, the puzzles inventive. What sets it apart for me is that the characters are each confined to their own bubble universes, but can still help each other through the reaches of time in various different ways. This mechanic is so brilliant it’s hard to top.

That’s coz you’re on Mac, mate. Us Linux users would scoff at the idea! :wink:

Definitely. The title screen is in Dutch, and the style narrows it down to Belgian (the Dutch are messed up in a different way).

And replying to the actual topic: a good adventure (IMHO) was Ghost Trick for the DS. It falls more in the puzzle genre as opposed to classical P&C, but I enjoyed the heck out of it back then:

On a sidenote, I seem to vaguely recall an article in a gaming magazine back in the 90’s about a funny Point n’ Click adventure about I believe a bunch of aliens who crashlanded on a junk yard or something? Anyone remember that, and could clue me in on the title? I believe it was post-Discworld, probably around 1998.

1 Like

I’m not sure, but there is a good chance that it’s “U.F.O.s”.

1 Like

I really wanted to like Kathy Rain, but the main character was just so annoying I couldn’t play for too long!

I too am playing Kathy Rain and I think it’s a masterpiece… yes the character is annoying, but I like the flow, the mystery, the graphics, the detail, and the UI. (Yes, it is linear, but I can accept that, because a story centric game can’t be made non linear at reasonable cost — or I can’t see how)

I love Kathy Rain to be honest and would like to marry her in the cartoon pixel world.

Such a compelling and unnerving atmosphere to that game…

1 Like

Could be it, although I seem to recall there were 3 aliens. Then again, it’s a review from a magazine from 20 years ago, so I probably misremember some things.

Hey, I’m glad nobody replied with Toejam & Earl. :wink:

Loved Discworld the blend of zany puzzles and humour was spot on!

Is there a good (and possibly not super-ancient) Larry game?

The original LSL1 (1987) and LSL7 (1996) are available on GOG.com, and there’s also the remake from Kickstarter available of LSL 1 (Lesuire Suit Larry: Reloaded). I’ve played the LSL1 (back in the day) and it’s reboot (back when it was initially released in 2013). I prefer the original, but the reboot is actually well done as well. I don’t remember playing LSL7 (Love for Sail!), but the reviews on GOG look good.

2 Likes

@LowLevel: If it shouldn’t be super-ancient, I would recommend the remake of the first one.
The original LSL is the one I know best. Though, I also tried the sequels. LSL 7 might have been the best sequel, but, if you haven’t played any LSL yet, I would recommend the original one. To me, it’s just the one and only Larry game.

1 Like

The Sierra remakes that replace the text parser with a point and click interface and add a hilarious narrator, are actually really good.

I played the first three King´s Quest games. The first one was okay (the infinity of the map is a bit confusing) the 3rd one I hardly played because I didn´t like that timer system with the wizard at the beginning, but King´s Quest 2, I´m sorry to say is an amazing game that I thoroughly enjoyed!

1 Like

If I play LSL 7, will I find a lot of inexplicable references to the previous games of the series that I have never played? Is it enjoyable even without having played the previous games?

Make sure you check the “disable annoying in-jokes” option.
Every game has one of those, right? Right??

1 Like

I’m not sure, because it’s been a while since I played it, but I am pretty sure that there were not many in-jokes in LSL 7.

1 Like

I loved Larry 2, which I played 20+ years ago on the Amiga. But could not finish it. I suspect it is one of the games where you get stuck if you did not do something much earlier (and which you had no reason to do). But I can’t be sure. Basically, after the boat, I arrived on an island and soon got stuck.

LSL7 deserves an opportunity. For me it is one of my favorite games. A very funny game. :smiley:

LSL7 has a nice graphics and very interesting UI. But due to the lack of an objective I lost interest. I will play it more.

@LowLevel: I can recommend LSL7, it’s one of the best parts of the series (but as all Sierra games not a very good adventure game). If you play it, you should keep in mind, that you can type in commands. Don’t forget that!

1 Like