Favorite non-Lucas point-and-click adventure games

I never saw that one, but looks interesting. I think most of those that are “french” are possibly “franco belgian”.

Anyway those are the only three of those that I could find on youtube(the second one might be italian, actually):

Same here but I still haven’t made the leap. I was hoping for a bigger cut and there are plenty of other games I’m interested in. I have picked up Riven, though, so I really should pick up Myst (not yet played) and Obduction.

1 Like

Does this mean you can’t even buy it from GOG?
(The version on GOG is actually the uncut US version and not the European one).

Yes, it´s also not listed on the german GOG.

All online retailers completly block german IPs from blacklisted or banned games, because it would be illegal to advertise them publicly. You might get a physical copy of some on a special request but most don´t even stock them.

Unless it´s reevaulted you can pretty much forget about it unless you get a pirated copy.

Would you be able to buy a copy from GOG if you had a non-German IP address?

Maybe, but I can´t imagine what happens when I pay the thing from my german bank account.

Actually they changed this only a short time ago (I guess they were threatened with legal actions when someone found out they were selling games in Germany they weren’t supposed to).

Yes, and the removed literally thousands of games from steam libararies!

Are first-person shooters like Battlefield or Call of Duty banned as well?

Several games in the Call Of Duty series, yes. Also among several others the original Wolfenstein 3D and, get this, Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64.

They are mostly FPS but also mostly older ones which got on the Index.
The tolerance changed for more recent games.

List of games on GOG

Three words:

“Mortal Kombat X”

What the…!!!

As it turns out you can definitely gift games from a non-German account/IP to German users on GOG.

Also if you’ve bought such games before their removal from the shop they stay in your library.

This makes me imagine a scenario of helpful underground transactions.

This is absolutly a thing. For legal reasons I have to say that I totally did NOT buy several movies from austria.

Regarding video games Austria and German speaking parts of Switzerland had quite to suffer because of Germany.
German localisations were only made once so everyone had to deal with those cut versions (or import the original versions which wasn’t so easy back then, especially being a kid).

We early learned there is no blood if you shoot someone into the face. Sometimes it’s green.
e.g. Half-Life was also interesting, replacing all human soldiers with robots :confused:

Which has a long tradition in germany dating back to the days of palette swapping skin coloured for silver grey pixels. In some cases this lead to cooler designs. Sure Contra had Arnold and Sly knock offs fighting Aliens but we got Probotector and those badasses

Thanks to the users of this thread, I just purchased Machinarium on Steam (in sale, 75% off!).
It should be worth it.

I just rediscovered an old adventure so good that I am putting on hold everything else:

Daughter of Serpents

It is just my cup of tea :slight_smile:

But be prepared: you need to get used to the UI, which is crazy, especially for using objects (e.g. to open the letter which you are given in the first 5 minutes). You need to drag the item onto the floor. :slight_smile: Also, for saving the game I think you need to triple-click somewhere.

But apart from that, the game is awesome. The atmosphere, the writing, and the graphics.

Also, (personal opinion) it is just like current indie adventure games (with budgets constraints) should be done. Few animations or none at all, because they cost and they would feel obsolete anyway. Focus on what matters: the story and the writing, and provide just enough graphics to create the atmosphere.

In a few websites I’ve read that its story and atmosphere is inspired by Lovecraft. Maybe @milanfahrnholz might be interested to give a look at it.

EDIT: reviews are quite awful, though.