Home-brew Tools

Interesting choice. I also, long ago, thought of Qt as a base. I gave up :stuck_out_tongue: Iā€™m not sure Qt is a good choice for that, but Iā€™m curious :slight_smile: keep us up to date.

VoltAir is a game developed by Google in 2014 and uses Qt 5/C++/JavaScript.

http://google.github.io/VoltAir/doc/main/html/index.html

1 Like

If ā€˜long agoā€™ was the Qt 4.8 days - I wouldnā€™t blame anyone for blacklisting it for game development :stuck_out_tongue: Qt 5 is a different story. There is always pros and cons and I might make the shift to Godot next time. But declarative programming is really awesome in many aspects of making a game. Including property bindings so you get rid of update functions everywhere.

I canā€™t speak for Qt and 3D though - itā€™s getting mixed feedback from what I can read. Nor am I sure itā€™s good for just any 2D game type. I all depends I guess.

So far it fit my needs :slight_smile: Iā€™ll keep you updated

Yup. Iā€™ve looked through VoltAirā€™s code a few times. Itā€™s very C++ oriented (which is not a bad thing in regard to performance). Iā€™m not sure the Qt C++ additions (moc, signal/slot etc.) make a big difference when it comes to game programming - itā€™s the declarative QML language and the fairly fast default renderer that made me jump on board

Iā€™ve just discovered, on the AGS forum, that a user made a ā€œTumbleweed interfaceā€ā€¦ :slight_smile:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54762.0
immagine

3 Likes

What makes Tumbleweed different from, I donā€™t know, Monkey Island 2? Just the look of the font?

(Was it Fate of Atlantis that went 6-verbs first? But the orderā€™s like in MI2 iirc.)

Edit: never mind, shouldā€™ve just read the topic:

Was there no 6-verb LucasArts game that did that previously? Just the ones that moved on to different UX?

I hope there is an option to disable thisā€¦

1 Like

Unless it is made differently (didnā€™t test this specific template with AGS, yet), you can simply edit the code that binds the GUI containing the text label to the cursor and set it so to have a static X/Y position on the screen.

1 Like

Sorry to revive this old thread but I found this intresting engine and I wanna share it with you.
The engine seems very complete. The main feature that I notice is the ā€œscenario editorā€ so you can focus on the narrative flow in a visual way. I havenā€™t try it but it seem very innovative!

This is the link of the site: https://www.seccia.com/age/

1 Like

Iā€™d say, software like Adventure Game Studio or Visionaire Studio have the great benefit of being multi platform.

I know, and I agree, multiplatform is a great feature.
The one I mentioned above is multiplatform too :wink:

I see, it mentions

You can compile games for Windows, UWP, macOS, iOS, tvOS, Android, WebGL and Linux.

The tools on the other hand seem to be Windows only, as it only mentions

DOWNLOAD AGE
FOR WINDOWS 10

Itā€™s only for Windows 10 on Steam, too.

So basically, itā€™s not an issue for the gamer, but might be one for the creator.

But isnā€™t that valid for AGS too?

There are unofficial AGS ports, especially the one Wadjet Eye uses for Mac. The code is available, but you have to build it yourself.

1 Like

Thanks for the link! As I programmer I donā€™t mind AGSā€¦ this Age program looks like it uses drag and drop code blocks like Scratch (which they teach to kids in elementary school now)

The real problem trying to develop a little game with a few rooms for fun is the graphic art/animation. Itā€™s so damn time-consuming! I would have to quit my day job and practice round the clock to even get 1% as good as Gary or Mark.

1 Like

You centered the point, there are tons of engines to develop every type of game but theyā€™re barely useful if you cannot put together a nice gfx/animation.
Tools that can help in that way are very few and it would be awesome if there were more.
Itā€™s frustrating to have an idea and cannot concretize it due to lack of skills and the collaborations in the hobby world are hard to find and keep active over the time.

1 Like

Do you have (an) example(s)? I only know of tools like Synfig Studio, that are made for professional artists.

I know

that helps to create a 3d human models without in depth 3d knowledge. They are still work in progress but I think that it should be the way in future. Even for the big companies it would be much more convenient a procedural approach especially when developing an AAA title where the art impact is huge.
Iā€™m wondering why is not a standard approach yet. Maybe because is simplier a brute force approach instead to develop a complex procedural content generator software.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why you should have your children go to art school. :wink:

3 Likes

Working on it :smile:

My 12 year old wants to be a video-game designer (but donā€™t they all?)

2 Likes