How many video games have YOU completed?

That’s true. Though by the 10 hour rule, you’d be allowed to include those games in the list. So I guess I could add at least the 3 games we had on the Atari 2600 :smile:. But as you said, playing 10 hours of Space Invaders or Spider Kong does not feel the same as completing a post-1985 game :slight_smile: .

1 Like

From my earliest memories, these are the games I completed on the Atari 2600. The ones marked with a *, I have actually reached the last screen/ending (which even did not feature the words “The end” in most cases, but just reset the game to the start.). The other ones are games I played for at least 10 hours and which you couldn’t really finish as far as I know…

E.T. *
Frogger
H.E.R.O. *
Pac-man
Pitfall! 2: Lost Caverns *
River raid
Smurf *
Spike’s Peak *
Tennis (multiplayer)

Then on the C64, I finished:
Labyrinth
Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken
Total Eclipse
Pyjamarama
Dallas Quest

So that brings my 80’s total to 11
[Edit: games I finished in the 80’s that is… I played and finished games like King’s Quest more recently for the first time]

1 Like

How do you constitute completing Pac Man and Frogger etc.? Reaching a Killscreen? (Pac Man has one not sure about Frogger).

1 Like

Pac-man is a survival game :smile:

2 Likes

I did have some minor issues getting my different ScummVM copies (in desktop Linux, desktop Windows & laptop Linux) to properly read my savegames between them.

Don’t most of those types of games reset when you reach level 99 or something like that?

Some I think but others in theory could go on indefinitely or until you reach a kill screen (where you suddenly die for no reason).

You amateur! :wink:
That’s nothing compared to inserting that floppy with your save game in the 1541 disk drive and pushing the joystick button, as instructed by the game, then anxiously listening to those drive spinning noises and knowing from the repeated clicking sounds it is producing it is not going to work this time.

2 Likes

I have played games from floppy disks back in the '90s, but they didn’t really have such issues. :wink:

2 Likes

Ohhh, how I miss those sounds and the thrilling feeling when you heard the loading sound and saw the cursor turn into a snail anticipating something exciting to happen!

But I don´t remeber experiencing that many glitches! :open_mouth:

1 Like

That drive could purr like a kitten!

It was my bad for not making backup copies of the original disks :frowning_face: and then not being able to restore a save game where I was in Cairo.

2 Likes

first half of the 90s (give or take) I completed 31 games on the Sega Megadrive - actual completing until the end credits.
6 of these had password save systems, 7 had an actual memory save system built into the cartridge. All the others were a matter of starting from the beginning every time AGAIN.

Titles

Aladdin
Altered Beast
Alien Storm
Castle of Illusion
Desert Strike
Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Ecco The Dolphin
Ghouls ‘n’ Ghosts
Golden Axe [also the only game I ever completed on the Arcade machine]
Golden Axe II
The Immortal
Jungle Strike
Landstalker
Light Crusader
Mickey’s Ultimate Challenge [actually I only played this one recently, but I completed it on my first playthrough! The target audience must’ve been 6 to 9 year olds]
Mystic Defender
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
Pitfighter
Puggsy
Quackshot
Road Rash
Shining Force II
Shining in the Darkness
Sonic the Hedgehog
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Story of Thor
Super Monaco GP
Super Street Fighter II
Sword of Vermilion
Tintin in Tibet

2 Likes

I think that unlike Lion King[1] I never finished it, and that I got stuck in the cave with all the lava. (On PC, but iirc it’s basically the same as the Mega Drive and different from the Super Nintendo.)

[1] Not included on the GOG list above, since I don’t have those games there. :wink:

That lava level was brutally hard, but I got through with a 70% success rate eventually. Some of the levels after that were even harder! I don’t think I finished the game more than once.
I could try to replay it to see how badly I’d suck at it these days - I probably wouldn’t make it through the first level.

Reminds me of Prince of Persia…

I’d buy them on GOG for nostalgia and all, plus I could try them with my gamepad. But they’re priced much higher than I’m willing to spend for what probably wouldn’t be much more than half an hour before I got bored or annoyed with certain outdated concepts.

I was never any good at Prince of Persia. I played it at a friend’s place and I could make it out of the tutorial basement/prison/whatever it is level but that was about it.

As an aside, this topic reminded me that I want to continue playing Bayonetta, but it took me some trouble to get it running in the first place a couple of years ago (iirc it would only run it it was on C:) and apparently in between Windows 10 updates it doesn’t do even that anymore.

Looking forward to the next half of the 90’s and onwards. Another great selection of games, you went to town on the Megadrive, it was the console I always wanted to own but my parents would never get it for me! Golden Axe and Streets of Rage are da BOMB!

1 Like

I love this, what program did you use to get this graph?

1 Like

That’s just a regular stacked column graph/chart in Excel/Calc/etc. I believe. :slight_smile:

Correct. LibreOffice Calc in that case, but any spreadsheet application should be able to produce such a diagram, or an even prettier one :slight_smile:.