Longest and shortest time you've spent on a game

I was looking at my Steam stats earlier. It made me wonder:

What are the top 3 games you’ve spent the longest time playing?
What are the top 3 shortest?

You don’t need to have completed them. If you don’t know accurately how long you spent, try and give a good estimate. There’s no restriction on how far back you go.

For example, my top 3 shortest are:
Obduction – 0.9 hours (I didn’t like it!)
Lifeless Planet – 1.7 hours (a bit boring)
Cluck Yegger in Escape from the Planet of the Poultroid – 3.1 hours (shattered nerves)

And my top 3 longest:
Thimbleweed Park – 72 hours (add another 2 for mobile/controller beta testing!)
The Witness – 46 hours (unfinished)
The Talos Principle – 31 hours (unfinished)

I’ve only looked at my Steam games as I couldn’t accurately estimate those I’ve played outside of it.

This isn’t specific to adventure/Lucasarts games - any category counts.

(Note: we may well have covered this before, but I couldn’t see a dedicated topic.)

1 Like

My Steam and GOG Galaxy stats are decidedly inaccurate due to in-game pausing, setting aside the fact that I play most stuff safely outside of those confines.

Here’s the rundown on all Steam games I’ve played for more than 3 hours:

I played Layers of Fear on Steam by mistake. I’d already acquired the game on GOG, but then I got it for free on Steam thanks to Humble Bundle.

1 Like

I notice Psychonauts is on there. I’ve got that in my library but not sure if I’ll like it. What was your impression?

1 Like

One of the very best platformers ever made. One of Tim Schafer’s worst stories.

1 Like

I can’t tell it because I don’t use Steam. :slight_smile: And I’ve played so much games in my life, that I can’t remember the longest and shortest games. The longest might be Maniac Mansion because I replayed that a lot of times. Same goes for Monkey Island I and Indiana Jones 3.

3 Likes

PS I backed Psychonauts 2.

1 Like

I don’t use GOG Galaxy, so no info on the GOG games… TWP has 21 hours on a save game near the end, but that doesn’t include loading and restarting things. So easily 40 hours on that one.

Longest (all completed except for SW the force unleashed)

Shortest > 0 (though Indy is misleading, as I launch it directly in ScummVM outside of Steam, I think I spent at least 15 hours to complete it)

Bonus for @PiecesOfKate:

2 Likes

How do I get a list out of Steam like yours?

Longest is most likely Half-Life. Played it countless thanks to all those mods back then, including Counter-Strike.
This was long before Steam was born. Or Steam had those stats.

1 Like

I looked manually through my Steam stats (which says absolutely nothing because I nearly exclusively play DRM-free games without such nonsense):

Here is my Top 3 of longest play time:

• The Cave - 23h
  • The Secret of Monkey Island: SE - 12 hours
  • Monkey Island 2: SE - 9 hours

One of the shortest ones:

• Thimbleweed Park - 12min
2 Likes

You need to not click on your library, but on your name, then activity. Then you click on games on the right below your name / above friends, groups,… Finally go to the tab All Games and sort by Playtime

phew!

1 Like

Thanks, I thought it may be there because of this blueish colour tone, but it tells me to setup my Steam Profile or something which I couldn’t care less about.

1 Like

not a fan of mmo but the longest is for me definitely LOTRO i’ve clocked hundreds of hours in middle earth. i sometimes enjoy just riding for hours from the shire to rohan… great story and immersive world & lore, big recommend

3 Likes

I imagine there must be another way to display it, without setting up a Steam profile - which you can keep minimal, just your nickname and avatar like on the forum here and set everything to private/me only. It’s not like Steam doesn’t know your mail and library already.
It seems you do care at least a little, to the extent of being able to post some nifty stats here on TWP forums :wink:

1 Like

I don’t recall setting up a Steam profile. It doesn’t seem like something that’d interest me much anyway. I only really have it because of some Humble Bundle things, possibly the Total War bundle. I have one or two of those older ones on DVD-ROM and they don’t require stupid stuff like Steam. Wouldn’t have bought the newer games without a very decent price cut. Once I had Steam I also bought a few things like a Tomb Raider pack for $12 (all Tomb Raiders up to and including 2013), a GTA pack (similar deal up to IV, was a bigger waste of money in retrospect), and later RotTT not too long after it came out.

I go for GOG all the way. No nonsense (besides the installers they put around everything), just a download you can use however you want. The only real problem is that they don’t have something like a “do not want” list. Or actually two of those. An “I already have this on CD-ROM, quit bugging me about it” list and a “not interested” list.

There are some people who say that Steam also sells DRM-free games. The older Tomb Raider games are actually examples of that. But you need to jump through all kinds of hoops to actually use them in a DRM-free kind of way, so it’s a kind of technically DRM-free.

Yes, going through every game in the Library section and checking if it shows a play time under Last Played, like I did.

Not really.
But it would have been impolite not answering a question when PiecesOfKate asks one :slight_smile:

It’s probably not necessary anymore with newer accounts, it already happens during creation (I assume).

My accounts are from simpler times (e.g. my oldest account has a 5 digit ID).

2 Likes

I already had an account back in '04 or '05 but I had to make a new one in this decade because I forgot my nick and/or e-mail.

Edit: btw, here’s my list from GOG, except I play most GOG games without Galaxy. I’m surprised how little time I apparently spent in Gorogoa, and Broken Sword 5 must be a pause screen or something because I’d be surprised if I played that for more than half an hour.

Aw, that’s nice :slightly_smiling_face:

I appreciate not everyone uses Steam, or likes it. I used that example because that’s what made me want to ask the question, after I looked at my stats. But I’m just interested in what type of games take up people’s time, really.

As a kid I must’ve racked up hours of playtime on platform games. I wish I had a record of that. As platform games are more linear I guess I spent more time trying to beat them (especially The Lion King and Aladdin), whereas now my time builds up when exploring or working out puzzles.

I’m also a bit of a sucker for Steam achievements, so sometimes large proportions of my gaming are for that.

1 Like

Then again, you’d see that and go “I could have learned how to play piano in that time” … “or found a cure for cancer”

Oh,yeah Aladdin was brutally hard. Nothing magical about that carpet ride level if you ask me. I still have the original cartridge for the MD, but I’m afraid I wouldn’t get through level 1 now.

On a funny side note (perhaps we should open a new topic for sega fanboys/girls replaying games, Kate?) I do have some games in muscle memory… when demonstrating one of them to my son recently, I caught myself jumping at seemingly random places to avoid a bad guy popping up or a bonus to appear and such.

1 Like

Like Sushi I think I’d rather not know specific numbers :slight_smile:
I have disabled this feature in GOG Galaxy and would disable it on Steam if it were possible.

1 Like

This is true. I’m also flattered by the completely unrealistic examples you gave there :wink:

Indeed. I still have my Mega Drive II and a bunch of games, including that one.

That’s amusing :smile: it shows how automatic our responses become from what was clearly too much gaming.

Really? Does it bother you that much? There are lots of good things to come out of gaming. Plus you’re having fun :slightly_smiling_face: unless it’s Aladdin.

2 Likes