Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade EGA version?

Because the EGA version is the only one released in multiple languages other than English and Japanese.
I also have that CD. The audio drama is included as well, which seems also missing on GOG according to the reviews.
Most LucasArts adventures were re-released on magazine-CDs at the time. Sometimes with anti piracy measures removed, which is the reason ScummVM does so as well.

2 Likes

Not always. :wink: It is true that there was a second CD with the audio drama. But that CD wasn’t always included - it is missing for example in my Loom box (bought in Germany). Some distributors sold only the game CD. I assume that producing CDs was very expensive at that time, so they sold only the one with the game.

/edit:

That’s correct, it’s missing on GOG.

It’s 2020: you can easily find the audio drama on youtube.
I have it on tape - but my cassette player died.

Anyway- back to Indy3 EGA… how’s Indy whipping it, @kuma?

This was about the magazine CD, not box versions of the game.

Nope, box. (I own the box. :slight_smile: )

/edit: Ah, sorry - you meant that the audio drama was on the magazine CD…

@Sushi Thank for asking! I played through the EGA version again, and definitely prefer it now over the VGA version.

Tried to get the highest possible overall IQ, but some of those points are really hard to get. I don’t think I’ll ever defeat the olympic fighter in the Zeppelin or survive all those planes in the SWOTL side mission… :smiley:

Even getting to the first border control seems difficult. I always end up crashing the biplane at a point where I end up going to the second control or later.

Well, I’m at 622 IQ points now, of 800.

3 Likes

As a separate 30 minute audio track. Apparently mp3 had not been in wide use by 1997. Doubt they did it purely for the listeners convenience or over quality concerns.

Certainly more expensive than not producing them. But would CD-ROMs be really more difficult to make than Audio CDs? Which should have been around for a while already by that time, and thus fairly cheap.

Indeed. Why bother when CD audio certainly was in wide use by then? It’s not a big deal to convert that track to any format you like anyway. It would take significantly longer on the hardware at the time than on today’s hardware, though.

The difference is in the authoring only and makes no difference for the copy plant, which simple burns the pre-mastered stream onto a glass master. I didn’t even know that there was a version with a second CD for the audio drama, nor is it necessary, since the game and the audio drama easily fit on a single CD anyway.

1 Like

If I remember correctly from this video, the VGA version would also have the soundtrack as CD audio. Or maybe the voice overs. Or both. Those would just barely fit on a single CD, so there wouldn’t have been room for the audio drama.

The latter one: The CD version stores the voice overs and the soundtrack in one (long) audio track on the CD.

Exactly. :slight_smile: The lack of space was one of the reasons why LucasArts had to cut some of the scenes.

Save often… and reload even more often!

1 Like

Sounds like the plot of King’s Quest XXXXVIII: The Quest for Disk Space. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course, it makes sense for the VGA talkie version. Same thing for the FM Towns and TurboGrafx versions. I thought, we are talking about the German EGA version, though.

Or is it the quest for disc space?
However, I think it was probably the inability to load data and play audio tracks at the same time which went into all those sacrificing design choices, as well as the inability to play several parts of the audio track at once. The CD would easily fit a few minutes more after all. There is an unusually large gap between the file system and the audio track, which could have been used for another few minutes without even increasing the total size. Despite those limitations, they could have kept at least the MIDI tracks, though.
I’m glad they found a different approach in their other talkie attempts with the monster.sou file.

1 Like

Right. It’s always confusing that hard disk is written with a “k” in English, while compact disc is written with a “c”. Is there any reasoning behind this? Probably because disk is short for diskette?

1 Like

It’s mainly the manufaturer’s calling it the way they seem fit. For the most part, the music industry calls any incarnation “disc” which is especially used for optical media nowadays, while magnetic media are usually called “disk”. It’s not really set in any dictionary, but a Google search confirms the common usage of each.

Some theories exist with the assumption that a rectangular housing (like in hard disks and floppy disks) makes the difference, ie. round as a “c” and angular as a “k”, but that seems more like a retroactive mnemonic to me, and it doesn’t even apply to MiniDisc, while both the optical rule and the music industry rule do.

In the case of compact disc, it is set in its very trademark name and its logo, thus there is no other way to spell that one.

2 Likes

A CD is circular, so starts and ends with a C.

A hard disk is sKuare-shaped (on the outside at least :slight_smile: )

1 Like

No, it’s the quest for Disk Space: :wink:

5 Likes

We probably shouldn’t forget that you can easily fit a 100 EGA games on a CD-ROM. But perhaps I’m thinking too Dutch about the foreign languages?

I also misunderstood it at first and wanted to post a correction, but the joke that @LogicDeLuxe made was in the context of us talking about fitting Loom on a compact disc… :wink:

2 Likes

Well, both EGA and VGA (FM towns) of Loom are available in Dutch (PM me if you’re interested)