ALL known versions of MI1/IBM/VGA/Floppy (Eng)

Enjoy. This video shows all known versions of MI1/VGA/IBM/Floppy:

I start with my 1st childhood version - MI1 from the Classic Tales boxset. It came on 7 floppies although the classic tales manual incorrectly states the game should be on either 4 or 8 floppies. To-date this is the only known released version that came on 7 floppies. It also had a different launcher (interpreter version) compared to the others. It is also the only known version 1.1 release. Years ago on the old Mixnmojo forums no one even believed me that it had ever come on 7 floppies. The video also ends with the same version loaded from an alternate, but official, launcher.

I also show you how god-damned annoying Ronā€™s copy protection is. Iā€™m sure youā€™re wondering where you can get my PDF manual, which I made 11 years ago. I also made one for MI2.

Sorry my mic wasnā€™t working Iā€™ll re-record it with a working mic when I have the chance, anyway, enjoy!

4 Likes

I wonder, what is the difference between v1.0 and v1.1?
Would you check these things on all versions?

Btw. once debug mode is enabled, you can skip the codewheel query with the ā€œ.ā€ key.

I have no idea what the differences are, I suspect they were bug related.

• Yes
  • Yes of course it is! One of my favourite jokes as a kid.
  • Yes
  • No it works the same as 1.0

About skipping the codewheel query - thatā€™s neat I didnā€™t even know that, but running it with the 5.0.19 interpreter version works fine and more convenient since it skips it entirely. Thatā€™s the interpreter used to run the game without the copy protection room (I think itā€™s from the ā€œClassic Collection Adventureā€ compilation box). Given that came after my version of the game and is still version 1.0 it makes me think the Sega-Ozisoft version is the only version ever to have the IBM/VGA/Eng/Floppy version of the game come out on 7 disks, as well as the only version to contain version 1.1. Thereā€™s also a 5.25" version of the Classic Tales box, but Iā€™m willing to bet that version is the standard 1.0 we all know either on eight floppies or on four.

Well Iā€™ll be damned. I knew this was an Aussie release, but Iā€™ve never seen the internals before and didnā€™t know it was Sega-Ozisoft until now:

Suddenly a million things just clicked into place. Okay firstly, the ā€œClassic Talesā€ compilationā€¦ here are all the boxed versions I have of MI1 and MI2 showing the disks for both the 1.0 and 1.1 versions of MI1:

I probably should have put the other manual in this pic instead of the reference card, but whatever. Sorry.

Okay flip through to page 37:

This manual looks like it was never used, seriously. I had to hold it open by propping up one side and holding the other down with disk 7. I got a bargain when I picked up these Classic Tales boxed sets! Anyway notice that page 37 is the cover for the MI1 manual and is identical to the cover in the other black-bordered MI1 box version.

The reference card pages alongside an actual reference card:

What is very strange to me is that page 38 in the Classic Tales box is the EGA reference card, and page 39 is the VGA one. Notice that page 38 ends mid-sentence and is then missing an entire paragraph and a half! But I finally understand why now. Itā€™s all because the EGA card has the instructions on it to play from the floppies - and thatā€™s exactly how I played it as a kid. Which of course led to my original disks eventually developing bad sectors from repeated game-play and not working.

With the VGA version there were several floppy versions released, and when compressed it would fit on 3 disks (in fact youā€™d only need 2x HD and 1x DD floppies), for example itā€™s my understanding it came this way with KIXX releases (although they print their own manuals) and the ā€œClassic Collection Adventureā€ compilation (in fact I think at least one disk would have shared its space with the compressed files of the next or previous game). So it could come on 3 disks, as part of a compilation, on four disks, or even on eight 5.25" floppies as well!

But why is the Sega-Ozisoft version unique? Well given what we know above, I have a theory on that. Sega-Ozisoft probably asked LucasArts to provide them with a version for 3.5" DD floppies. And they likely said they wanted it formatted so the game was playable from the floppies. For some reason instead of just giving them the existing 8-disk version for 5.25" that would have worked fine, and I honestly have no idea how that decision was arrived at. It doesnā€™t make any sense to me because both 3.5" DD and 5.25" DD disks have the same capacity, so one has to wonder what was the point? Why wasnā€™t 1.0 sized for 7 floppies in the first place? My guess would be that as 1.0 was the initial VGA release they hadnā€™t had the resources and time to figure out how properly split the game into playable portions to work on 7 disks, but even so it seems strange they would release the game this way and then with later compilations still release 1.0. The interpreter version of the executable with this release is 5.0.16, but as you see in the video the interpreter version of the copy-protection skipping executable is 5.0.19 which means it comes chronologically later, yet it comes with version 1.0 being an earlier version of the game itself!

And to anyone wondering about the answer-key provided in my reproduced PDF manuals (which I was criticised for 11 years ago on the old Mixnmojo forum), hereā€™s what Ron himself has to say about it:

Not to mention the name of the room itself is ā€œcopycrapā€. You need it for the EGA version in ScummVM as they wonā€™t skip it and you canā€™t use the debug mode to skip it either. Plus cracks to skip the copy protection were out in the early 90ā€™s, itā€™s not like providing the answer key in my PDF is giving people anything new.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s really interesting.

Every day we learn something newā€¦ I didnā€™t know there was an earlier attempt of converting MI1 to VGA. Soon you can add another version to your repository (albeit without a box):

3 Likes

I know that thereā€™s interest in the 1.1 files, Iā€™ve been asked for them a few times over the years, quick answer right now is that if anyone proves ownership of this version and needs the files yes I will send them, but if Iā€™m going to send them out to people who donā€™t own this version then it will be made available for everyoneā€¦ and Iā€™ll likely make a simple web page (on scumm.net), post the files there and encourage everyone who downloads to send a donation to Terrible Toybox, or to buy Thimbleweed Park or Monkey Island. In other words, if Iā€™m going to post them itā€™ll be done right so that itā€™s a positive contribution towards the future of point-and-click adventure games, not simply a pirate link to a .zip file.

Thatā€™s interesting about that abandoned version, Iā€™m surprised a dev kept the files after this long! :slight_smile: Iā€™m interested to see, although to be honest Iā€™ve never played all the way through the EGA version before.

1 Like

Good thing they do! They care about their work and this makes Remastered version like for Grim Fandango possible or at least much easier.
Companies donā€™t archive their āˆ—beepāˆ— properly.

I meant keeping an incomplete and possibly buggy alpha version of the game - keeping the source code/files for the released versions is sensible. Youā€™ll find that they didnā€™t have all the original source files (code Iā€™m guessing) for the videos in GF for Remastered.

Thereā€™s a cheaper copy on ebay at the moment (link). Has codewheels, looks like it has all 15 disks (I can count 14 anyway the other one is probably hidden underneath everything somewhere), itā€™s missing the two manuals and the warranty registration card.

Very curious about the EGA>VGA conversion mentioned above. Is there any other information out there about it, or is it just from this inside source?

Especially something like this gets lost because unlike code it isnā€™t so easy to backup. It can be a huge amount of data.

In a game like GF you have a lot of graphical assets, 3D models etc. which are just used to render a scene background or a video. When rendering is done you donā€™t necessarily need those assets anymore and something like this can happenā€¦

Or maybe not :slight_smile:

Eh, Mojoā€™s not exactly the most reputable site is it? Even the very article before the one announcing to the world they had the aborted EGA to VGA version they claimed that ā€œDiscord Store goes global, rains free Double Fine titles on youā€ which is more fake news as you have to buy a monthly subscription to play Discord Store games they arenā€™t ā€œfreeā€.

Well, actually my first impression was: itā€™s a hoaxā€¦ but you seemed you took it seriously and you are trustworthy people. So I assumed I was wring, and it was real. I wasnā€™t surprised, though, when I discovered it wasnā€™t.

In the article it says you need ā€œNitroā€.

Nothing is free. Not even death as it costs your life.